PDA

View Full Version : What should I get??

Tex Arcana
05-25-2005, 01:04 AM
I am wanting to get a new front swaybar (or a set--can't decide which)... what brand should I get??

Which brings up another question: wife overheard me talking about the swaybar question with a friend, and is thinking of making an anniversary/birthday gift of that, meaning she'll take the ~$175 I've got now, add some to that, and present me with the gift. That being the case, it has me wondering if going with that FRPP lowering kit would be a good idea, since it's in that price range to begin with, or should I hold off on a lowering kit, get a front swaybar and stay in FStock in autocross, and wait 'til I can afford a better (Roush) lowering kit?

I welcome all suggestions.

EDIT: Dammit, I'm serious here.. I need some advice. Please.

BC Lightning
05-25-2005, 07:15 PM
hotchkiss swaybars are the S***

Tex Arcana
05-25-2005, 07:36 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/texarcana/SMiles/bump.gif

Come on, people, I konw there's lots of info out there, and opinions to boot. I need y'alls help, here--hopefully soon!!

Tex Arcana
05-25-2005, 07:38 PM
hotchkiss swaybars are the S***
Okay, why??

dboat
05-25-2005, 07:49 PM
I only have the FRPP lowering kit that Terry put on my truck. I like it and the ride isnt harsh..

Tex Arcana
05-25-2005, 07:59 PM
I only have the FRPP lowering kit that Terry put on my truck. I like it and the ride isnt harsh..

Does it handle better, or is more required to make that happen??

dboat
05-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Does it handle better, or is more required to make that happen??

IMHO, it handles better. It was a 1/2 lower I believe. I just trusted Terry to do me right and he did.. for me it was perfect... Others that I let drive the truck on occasion cant believe the handling and ride.. so worked for me.

However, if you want it to really handle, Terry had his previous L set up to chase down most cars out there..
Dana

StormShadow
05-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Dude just read here.

http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/suspension/anti_sways.htm

PoorSvtman
05-25-2005, 08:13 PM
search?

Tex Arcana
05-25-2005, 08:15 PM
IMHO, it handles better. It was a 1/2 lower I believe. I just trusted Terry to do me right and he did.. for me it was perfect... Others that I let drive the truck on occasion cant believe the handling and ride.. so worked for me.

However, if you want it to really handle, Terry had his previous L set up to chase down most cars out there..
Dana

I wish I could drive yours, and get a feel for it. Did you upgrade your swaybars as well, or stick with the stock ones?

EDIT: Terry, speak up!!! I know you've got a damn opinion!

Tex Arcana
05-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Dude just read here.

http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/suspension/anti_sways.htm
I've read his pages more times than I can count, and both that, and the suspension pages, over and over, and I'm still confused, because I get the feeling I'm missing some information that just isn't getting stated. Hence my post, because I want to read everyone's OPINIONS, and if I see that bit of into I"m missing, I'll know it, and I'll zero in on it.

So... what do YOU think???

PoorSvtman
05-25-2005, 08:36 PM
tims site is dosent lack much info.

Do some searches on nloc i bet u money you will find all the info you will need.

Tex Arcana
05-25-2005, 08:37 PM
search?
I've done it, on all the boards, and it's driving me nuts. :(

Tex Arcana
05-25-2005, 08:39 PM
tims site is dosent lack much info.

Do some searches on nloc i bet u money you will find all the info you will need.

I HAVE, dammit.. and what part of "I want **YOUR** opinion" did you not understand?? :d

SPEAK UP... what did YOU do, and what do YOU like??

StormShadow
05-25-2005, 08:40 PM
I've read his pages more times than I can count, and both that, and the suspension pages, over and over, and I'm still confused, because I get the feeling I'm missing some information that just isn't getting stated. Hence my post, because I want to read everyone's OPINIONS, and if I see that bit of into I"m missing, I'll know it, and I'll zero in on it.

So... what do YOU think???

I bought the Hotchkis

Tex Arcana
05-25-2005, 08:42 PM
I bought the Hotchkis

And?? HOw does it handle? How do you like it? What about it do you NOT like??

L8 APEX
05-25-2005, 08:43 PM
I told you what is what its in your hands now. You acted like Hotchkis bars were not an option or you wanted something cheapr.

BC Lightning
05-25-2005, 08:46 PM
If I had to do it again I would have gone with the Hotchkiss over the Roush, don't get me wrong I like the way the Roush sits, but to make the ride awesome I need the Hotchkiss sway bars and QA1's, the Hotchkiss comes with everything but the shocks, so just add some QA1's instead of the upgraded bilsteins

L8 APEX
05-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Ask the guy in the Cobra R behind me what he thinks of Hotchkis bars. http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC00210.JPG

PoorSvtman
05-25-2005, 08:49 PM
i put drop springs up front. Took out a leaf in the back. Added shorter endlinks for the swaybars and waiting on the qa1s to come in(friday).

I had some 2 inch drop coils that gave about a 1.5 drop and were soft as hell. I cut half a coil off and gave it about 2.5-3inch drop (didnt measure). I took out a leaf on my rear leafs and had 2 inch drop shackels. It sat good but my rear leafs were worn out and sagging.

Stormshadow was nice enough to give me his old 04 leafs. I took a leaf out and put them on last night with the 2 inch shackles. I going to probly take out another leaf considering how much more they are arched over 99-00 leafs. Ive done some searches on nloc and most have taken out 2 leafs on there 04 leafsprings.

Taking out a leaf basicly gives you a softer ride and you loose some towing ratings.

If you want to take a ride or discuss more im game. Probly be working on it all friday night. Im always game for talking about truck and theres always cold beer and other drinks in my fridge. I love doing suspension work. My old honda civic was on rails. Cant make a honda fast with out alot of money so i made it handle like no other car.

dboat
05-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Dana

What did I say?

But did Tex want to listen :nono:

L8 APEX
05-25-2005, 08:51 PM
here are more pics of with and without. I thought I was going to drag bumper cover without!

http://performanceresearchonline.com/street/svt/bars.htm

PoorSvtman
05-25-2005, 08:53 PM
tex if you want to chat i can explain it like i do to my g/f and she understands and she dosent know much but is learing.

dboat
05-25-2005, 08:54 PM
here are more pics of with and without. I thought I was going to drag bumper cover without!

Terry,
Better put those on my list too..
Dana

PoorSvtman
05-25-2005, 09:00 PM
id post my comment on the hotchkis but i dont want to confuse you.

Tex Arcana
05-25-2005, 10:26 PM
I told you what is what its in your hands now. You acted like Hotchkis bars were not an option or you wanted something cheapr.

No, no :nono: ... that was last week... I've had my electroshock therapy this week, and I'm thinkin' differently... :d

I didn't like the HOtchiss bar pricing, because it went outside my $175 budget (what it was at the time), which set me to researching the issue, and *almost* settling on Helwig bar(s). Then I got to thinking: WTF am I doing trying to compete in FStock?? Even in tire class, there's no freakin' way I can even come close to placing, so what's the friggin' point?? And it was *then* I started thinking that I might be better off gettign what I wanted with what I can pay for, and just enjoying it.

Make sense? :tu:

So, it got me to looking for something along the lines of the FRPP, pricewise. And, with what my dear wife is planning on spending for my birthday/anniversary, I've got around $300 to play with, so it comes down to deciding on what's best. I've read a few negative things about lowering (increased bumpsteer, tendency to bottom out more, etc), and a few other things that has me wondering if the FRPP kit is the way to go.

So, what's left (if you got this far!), is: FRPP, FRPP+swaybar, or just a good swaybar kit??

And I ask YOU, ye local GAWD of LIGHTNINGS :bows , for your sage advice!! (yeah, I"m askin' everyone else, too, but I *am* listening!). :tu:

Oh, and thanks for your patience on this... :beer:

Tex Arcana
05-25-2005, 10:37 PM
What did I say?

But did Tex want to listen :nono:
Yes I did, Dana, and I asked you for your opinion on your setup--and got it. I dont know exactly what setup he had, so I coulnd't comment on that, unless you knew more. ;)

I promise, I *am* listening... :beer:

Tex Arcana
05-25-2005, 10:50 PM
i put drop springs up front. Took out a leaf in the back. Added shorter endlinks for the swaybars and waiting on the qa1s to come in(friday).

I had some 2 inch drop coils that gave about a 1.5 drop and were soft as hell. I cut half a coil off and gave it about 2.5-3inch drop (didnt measure). I took out a leaf on my rear leafs and had 2 inch drop shackels. It sat good but my rear leafs were worn out and sagging.

Stormshadow was nice enough to give me his old 04 leafs. I took a leaf out and put them on last night with the 2 inch shackles. I going to probly take out another leaf considering how much more they are arched over 99-00 leafs. Ive done some searches on nloc and most have taken out 2 leafs on there 04 leafsprings.

Taking out a leaf basicly gives you a softer ride and you loose some towing ratings.

If you want to take a ride or discuss more im game. Probly be working on it all friday night. Im always game for talking about truck and theres always cold beer and other drinks in my fridge. I love doing suspension work. My old honda civic was on rails. Cant make a honda fast with out alot of money so i made it handle like no other car.

Makes sense... and Iv'e heard a few negative things about the FRPP kit, so I'm looking for feedback on that, as well as on just the general idea of what I want to do with what I have to play with.

tex if you want to chat i can explain it like i do to my g/f and she understands and she dosent know much but is learing.

Oh, man, tht was harsh... :( What'd I do to you to make you chit in my cheerios??

id post my comment on the hotchkis but i dont want to confuse you.

Dammit.. yer dogpilin' here.. go away for ONE HOUR, and see what I get!!

I've got you on my AIM list, and I'm online now, unless you have to get your beauty sleep. :tongue:

Look, POST YER COMMENTS!! This is what I NEED TO SEE! :d

Please?

Tex Arcana
05-25-2005, 10:52 PM

Dang... was that stock ride height, or with lowering? :bows

dboat
05-26-2005, 06:38 PM
Yes I did, Dana, and I asked you for your opinion on your setup--and got it. I dont know exactly what setup he had, so I coulnd't comment on that, unless you knew more. ;)

I promise, I *am* listening... :beer: :tu: :tu:

Tex Arcana
06-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!!! :eek2:

I"ve decided on the FRPP lowering kit, and the Hellwig front swaybar kit.

However, I've got a really stupid question: where do I order the FRPP from??? :confused: :( I feel like an idiot for not even asking this (no comments from the peanut gallery!! :hammer: ), but I assumed I could get it directly from FRPP.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

StormShadow
06-09-2005, 11:46 PM
http://www.performanceresearchonline.com/