PDA

View Full Version : New Cobra...

L-Fever
06-08-2005, 07:18 AM
My brother-in-law just put down a 5k deposit at a Ford dealership in North Carolina. He doesn't know what color he will get or what the sale price will be! Anyone else heard of anyone doing that around here?

Beaudee
06-08-2005, 07:33 AM
Freind of mine has one down @ Doug Stanley Ford.He wants a black one.Whos takin dep. on the gen 3.When it comes out , my 04 will be up for sale! :tu:

SpeedyBolt
06-08-2005, 04:29 PM
I plan on parting with my truck for one of those cars! I just want to wait and see what the final $$$ figures are on them. I'm guessing around 45k

WA 2 FST
06-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Car and Driver got their hands on one, and did some prelim. testing and reporting.

Pricing is said to be in the $36-39k range... very affordable. They loved the car, everything about it.

The one major bummer (which doesn't surprise me) is that Ford is now saying the GT500 will use an Eaton blower, not the Whipple/screw blower on the Ford GT. Reason? Lack of supply/availability of the blower due to the production #s Ford anticipates. Ford is still saying 450-475hp, and ~3800lbs. C&D said their SOP tells them the car will run ~12.5 @ 116.

If you can put a KB or Whipple on it later, then it will have a ton of potential... potential I thought the car would have in _stock_ form. If you're stuck with the Heaton, then do not expect astronomic power #s out of it. :(

No screw blower, no $$ from me. Sorry. I'll buy something else.

rickgig
06-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Excellent point Wes...

Even the current Cobra (modified) running 600RWHP uses the screw blower from Ford. I wonder where they're getting those from (yes... I know, fewer quantities for enhancement as opposed to a production vehicle).

Gotta admit... the car looks sweet.

But the thing that blows me away is the stock Mustang 3v motor... in the recent issue of "Ford Builder” they put a Vortech S-Trim on it without an intercooler, pulling (pushing) 13PSI and got 613HP at the crank! Other than long tube headers it was stock.

To me, that'll leave lots of $'s for other mods.

Silver_2000
06-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Excellent point Wes...

Even the current Cobra (modified) running 600RWHP uses the screw blower from Ford. I wonder where they're getting those from (yes... I know, fewer quantities for enhancement as opposed to a production vehicle).

Ok you lost me

What current cobra uses a screw type blower ?and makes 600 hp ?

WA 2 FST
06-15-2005, 12:02 AM
Ok you lost me

There is a Whipple blower out for the '03-04 Cobra. I think Rick was talking about an aftermarket blower for the current Cobras. :)

rickgig
06-15-2005, 08:05 AM
Ok you lost me

Yup... talking about modified Cobra's. Much like we are supposed to be able to do if the screw was available in quantities.

This should help....

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/1064-4058-126204.jpg

Also.... here's the AutoWeek article.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101168

wesman
06-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Excellent point Wes...

Gotta admit... the car looks sweet.

But the thing that blows me away is the stock Mustang 3v motor... in the recent issue of "Ford Builder” they put a Vortech S-Trim on it without an intercooler, pulling (pushing) 13PSI and got 613HP at the crank! Other than long tube headers it was stock.

To me, that'll leave lots of $'s for other mods.

Nothing about that surprises me, however, what would surprise me is if it actually held together for any length of time.

You can make anything powerful for a while, then stuff starts breaking, I'll bet this is the case, esecially with that non-intercooled 13psi.

--wes

WA 2 FST
06-15-2005, 06:44 PM
deleted post...I was thinking of a different article

WA 2 FST
06-15-2005, 06:48 PM
I would like to build a car like that, though. Very cool. 600rwhp is doable with these with a decent life expectancy, so long as you're not killing it at every stoplight... same goes for anything. ;)

rickgig
06-15-2005, 11:28 PM
Nothing about that surprises me, however, what would surprise me is if it actually held together for any length of time.

You can make anything powerful for a while, then stuff starts breaking, I'll bet this is the case, esecially with that non-intercooled 13psi.

--wes

Per the article... they have an intercooler coming soon. The point is the same 4.6 with the 2v verses the 3v... totally different. Big numbers on the 3v with the same adders to the motor... which means, more potential.

rickgig
06-15-2005, 11:32 PM
I would like to build a car like that, though. Very cool. 600rwhp is doable with these with a decent life expectancy, so long as you're not killing it at every stoplight... same goes for anything. ;)

There are a few around... I am sure.

There's a kid in Frisco with a yellow 03 Cobra. Lowered, sounding good with a raised hood that is white. He's running some pretty intense stuff.

The total cost for the 600hp included interior upgrades and suspension upgrades. Cost for the motor was less than 7k. Not bad. 13k with interior and suspension.

It's not 21st Century z06 twin turbo... but it is sweet.

Tex Arcana
06-16-2005, 04:14 PM
There are a few around... I am sure.

There's a kid in Frisco with a yellow 03 Cobra. Lowered, sounding good with a raised hood that is white. He's running some pretty intense stuff.

The total cost for the 600hp included interior upgrades and suspension upgrades. Cost for the motor was less than 7k. Not bad. 13k with interior and suspension.

It's not 21st Century z06 twin turbo... but it is sweet.

His name wouldn't happen to be Paul would it???

WA 2 FST
06-16-2005, 04:20 PM
I know Paul, if that is his. He used to have an '02 Ram-Air T/A that I tuned for him. He lives in W. Allen. I have ridden in his car. It is definitely fast. He said the previous owner ran 11.4 @ 124mph in it.

Paul's car puts out ~500rwhp and has a ported blower, no Whipple on it.

Oh...and that is not Paul's car, unless he just put that hood on there. His looks stock.

rickgig
06-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Guys... I'll find out the guys name... the hood is new though cause I've seen him before.

my2002lightning
06-16-2005, 05:39 PM
rickgig,

I've seen the yellow/white Cobra once here in Frisco. Sounds/looks good... just needs to "true-up" all the paint.

BTW, I saw your wifey running around Frisco in your L and spoke briefly with her, today.

I hope you're easier on your L than your wife was today.:hammer: :crying: :D

I'm going to be out in your neck-of-the-woods soon.

Ronald

WA 2 FST
06-16-2005, 08:48 PM
I'd be surprised if Paul didn't tell me he got a cowl hood for his car. Plus he lives in Allen, not Frisco and attends school in Plano.

rickgig
06-16-2005, 10:46 PM
rickgig,

I've seen the yellow/white Cobra once here in Frisco. Sounds/looks good... just needs to "true-up" all the paint.

BTW, I saw your wifey running around Frisco in your L and spoke briefly with her, today.

Ronald

Yep... she told me about it. She was so surprised that she forgot her burger! Had to come back and get it... too funny.

Tex Arcana
06-16-2005, 10:47 PM
I know Paul, if that is his. He used to have an '02 Ram-Air T/A that I tuned for him. He lives in W. Allen. I have ridden in his car. It is definitely fast. He said the previous owner ran 11.4 @ 124mph in it.

Paul's car puts out ~500rwhp and has a ported blower, no Whipple on it.

Oh...and that is not Paul's car, unless he just put that hood on there. His looks stock.

Yeah, I konw Paul from SVTPerformance and their photoshoot a couple months ago, he's a pretty cool kid, and that thing hauls ass. :burnout:

Tex Arcana
06-16-2005, 10:49 PM
rickgig,

Ronald

Hey, stop tattlin' on her... :nono: