PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Lightning owners..

xyoung347x
06-12-2005, 09:13 PM
How do you guys keep rock chips, tar, and ect. from hitting your L?:confused:

PoorSvtman
06-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Dont drive it.

I have a black L. paint on the front end is a few years old and it already looks like ass. Just keep it waxed and washed.

3m makes a clear bra. Its basicly a giant clear sticker that goes on the front of your car. But friends have had it and after it gets old it seems too look like crap.

BC Lightning
06-12-2005, 09:33 PM
I've had my 04 for almost a year now (she will be 1 on wednesday knana ) and the bumper has tons of rock/road chips and the cowl has a few chips in it

The way I try and prevent it is Zaino wax, washing it every other day, and taking it to my buddy's paint shop for buffing and reshooting paint/clearcoat

the price you pay for black :cool:

skalywags
06-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Chips happen!

TP Derrick D
06-12-2005, 10:03 PM
How do you guys keep rock chips, tar, and ect. from hitting your L?:confused:

you don't. I had my truck over 4 years and the front has had 2 paint jobs and I still have some , but not bad enough to get it painted.

my2002lightning
06-12-2005, 10:09 PM
Basically, that's the truth. :cool:

I tried my best to lead the pack(s) of SUVs/Semis on the interstates and the L still seemed like a magnet for rock-chips. :hammer: Not bad, but, still.

Not as bad as it used to be after garaging it.:)

Dont drive it.

BLACKSUNSHINE
06-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Every chip and scratch on my black L is just giving it a more unique caracter. ;)

tliss
06-13-2005, 10:27 AM
I have to concur with everyone here. There are really only two ways to avoid rock chips...either don't drive it or get a bra, which still does not fully protect your truck and looks downright ugly IMO. I have a 01 Black and my front bumper is loaded with rock chips. It just comes with the territory...we have HUGE front bumper covers that are magnets for rocks...just got to come to terms with that.:tu:

Tom

Beaudee
06-13-2005, 10:34 AM
I use an intercepter bug guard to keep em of the hood.Dont look to bad and has plenty of room to clean and wax behind, and doesnt touch the paint anywhere even @ 100mph.As far as the rest of the front end ?? :crying:

Lyfisin
06-13-2005, 11:38 AM
After about 6k highway and 6k local miles, my front end still looks almost flawless. You'd really have to go over it to find a nick and the biggest one on the front end is a small factory defect, not a rock chip. That includes the original hood which was just replaced.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but my driving habits may be different than others. Most of the time I'm in the L, I'm pretty easy on it. I don't get right on people's bumpers or even close as long as I can avoid it. I'm also probably not speeding as much as others so maybe I just don't hit rocks as hard.

I just like to cruise. :)
I'm not sure it matters, but my truck has had Zaino on it almost since day one. I doubt that matters. Tom's truck has it also and he takes better care of his than I take care of mine. Any additive between the clearcloat and the rock has to help some though I would think.

Mr.Ed
06-13-2005, 11:46 AM
A friend of mine sells something called 3m invisible protective bra. He says he has had good luck with them. His name is Marcus and you can talk to him at 214-537-9011.

Good luck Ed

Tex Arcana
06-13-2005, 01:01 PM
A friend of mine sells something called 3m invisible protective bra. He says he has had good luck with them. His name is Marcus and you can talk to him at 214-537-9011.

Good luck Ed

Hey, get us a hookup... :d

Mark #2
06-13-2005, 03:28 PM
https://secure.stongard.com/shop.aspx?kid=k1118

None for a L but I'm sure you can get one made.

Silver_2000
06-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Ive seen the sticker guards and they always look like **** after a few weeks. Just wait till you try to wax your truck and get wax in the creases....

No thanks

dboat
06-13-2005, 05:47 PM

Good luck Ed

I didnt get one from your friend, but I have one and its still in the box..
Dana

xyoung347x
06-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Wouldn't driving a car length or two behind help? Since rock chips are from mainly the person in front of you being slung?

03LightningRocks
06-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Hmmmm...that must have been a book I forgot to read. I wissh it was just rock chips. Hell, a month ago i darn near pulled the front end off while backing off the trailer. No problem though, I jsut beat everything back into place and it looks good as new....:rll: .

Rocks:confused:

L8 APEX
06-14-2005, 11:08 PM
I've got a full hood, mirror, grille kit new in box for $40 bucks. I paid near 300 for it:hammer: