PDA

View Full Version : So my a/c unit is fubared.

PoorSvtman
06-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Ok the Fan motor went out on my outside a/c unit. First the breaker went. Fixed that and watched the unit for a bit. Seemed fine. Mom went out and came in saying it smelt like something was burning. The motor was so hott you probly could have lit a cigg. on it.

Heres my fix, hope you aprove of it Uncle Rocks! :d Now given that box fan is older than me and works like a champ. It works better than the unit that was built in 97
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/P6120067.JPG

Tex Arcana
06-12-2005, 10:29 PM
BWAHAHAHAAAA!! :rll::rll::rll::rll::rll::rll::rll:

"Redneck Rampage" on TALON?? :rll: "HOLD ON TO YER BUTTS!" :rll:

PoorSvtman
06-12-2005, 10:30 PM
BWAHAHAHAAAA!! :rll::rll::rll::rll::rll::rll::rll:

"Redneck Rampage" on TALON?? :rll: "HOLD ON TO YER BUTTS!" :rll:

haha :tu: Bout to put some duct tape to keep it in place

Tex Arcana
06-12-2005, 10:58 PM
haha :tu: Bout to put some duct tape to keep it in place

WOOOHOO!!! Do'nt forgit them DELISHUS GOO-GOO-CLUSTERS!!! :d

03LightningRocks
06-12-2005, 11:35 PM
That fan won't move enough air and your compressor is about to get burned up. Here is how it works....head pressure will go way the hell up and then the freon will start to turn to acid...next it is by-by windings. The unit looks like it needs replaced anyway.

Rocks:eek:

PoorSvtman
06-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Its getting replaced. The unit is to small for our house anyway. Moms friends, husband works for a a.c place and came by tonight. Hes going to install a new unit and inside unit.

Also i just sat the fan on there for the pic and to see if I could get your feathers turned. That fan is right next to me right now. That fan is older than me. The motor started to freeze up on it, sprayed some lube on it and 5 months later its working better than ever.

Tex Arcana
06-12-2005, 11:47 PM
That fan won't move enough air and your compressor is about to get burned up. Here is how it works....head pressure will go way the hell up and then the freon will start to turn to acid...next it is by-by windings. The unit looks like it needs replaced anyway.

Rocks:eek:

What, you don't appreciate his "Southern Engineering"?? :d Come ON now, that was INGENIOUS... hell, add a couple more fans for even MORE POWER!!! YEEE-HAW!

03LightningRocks
06-12-2005, 11:50 PM
LOL...that won't get my feathers up. I make money when people burn up their AC units....:d .

I was waiting for Tex to suggest water. That would have worked real well with the grounded fan motor :eek: .

Good move on the replacement. Word of warning....it is damned rare for a unit to actually be undersized. Upsizing increases electrical costs due to increased cycles. Upsizing can also lead to mold growth after a couple years, due to the on cycle not being long enough to properely remove humidity.

Usually the culprit is a combination of the unit being old and the insullation being compressed in the attic. That old unit with it's bent/flattened fins is not giving the cooling that the rating plate says it is.

Rocks;)

03LightningRocks
06-12-2005, 11:56 PM
One more thing about upsizing. Check the wires going both outside and inside to make sure they are the proper rating for the new equipment. Not just the breakers...THE WIRES. On both units there will be a max amp rating....that is what dictates the needed wire size.

BIGGER IS NOT BETTER WHEN WE ARE TALKING RESIDENTIAL HVAC. You would not believe how many law suites are flying around over companies allowing customers to upsize equipment. Even a little bigger is a whole lot of trouble.

Rocks

Tex Arcana
06-12-2005, 11:57 PM
LOL...that won't get my feathers up. I make money when people burn up their AC units....:d .

I was waiting for Tex to suggest water. That would have worked real well with the grounded fan motor :eek: .

Good move on the replacement. Word of warning....it is damned rare for a unit to actually be undersized. Upsizing increases electrical costs due to increased cycles. Upsizing can also lead to mold growth after a couple years, due to the on cycle not being long enough to properely remove humidity.

Usually the culprit is a combination of the unit being old and the insullation being compressed in the attic. That old unit with it's bent/flattened fins is not giving the cooling that the rating plate says it is.

Rocks;)

You should'a seen him whacking on them fins with a monkey wrench.. a little "impact intervention" if you will... :d

L8 APEX
06-13-2005, 12:01 AM
Don't forget to size the copper lines for the new unit I am sure the existing line set is too small for a larger unit.:d

03LightningRocks
06-13-2005, 12:03 AM
Don't forget to size the copper lines for the new unit I am sure the existing line set is too small for a larger unit.:d

Yep....this too. Hell that old unit may have some sort of RFC line...or even an 1/4" liquid line.

L8 APEX
06-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Then you will have to upsize the ducting and returns. Otherwise your system will whitsle you to sleep every night:D

03LightningRocks
06-13-2005, 12:05 AM
Then you will have to upsize the ducting and returns. Otherwise your system will whitsle you to sleep every night:D

They will only whistle until the evap coil freezes up....:cool:

L8 APEX
06-13-2005, 12:07 AM
If your unit is an upflow in the closet make sure the opening is large enough to get the new air handler in. Otherwise you'll be cutting the door jam to get it in there. Also, don't forget to add a 2" EZ-Filter rack on your new system. It holds a 2" thick pleated Z line filter that is much better at stopping debris than hogs hair or 1" junk filters.

PoorSvtman
06-13-2005, 12:07 AM
No its way undersized. This house is always hot as hell... The house was a rental when we bought it. They just replaced stuff with cheap stuff, etc when the put it on the market for sale. Moms friend thatsa a.c man came out and said its to small of a unit for the house. He installed our unit at our house we had built 21 years ago when we moved here from florida. So we trust him i guess..

If it was me spending the green i would have called you.

03LightningRocks
06-13-2005, 12:08 AM
Yep...upsizing always sounds good until you start trying to do it properely. Then it becomes a biotch.

Too many guys think you can just throw a bigger unti at the house...BIG MISTAKE.

L8 APEX
06-13-2005, 12:10 AM
Make sure he installs a TXV metering device. Otherwise you aren't reaching your efficiency out of the unit with a regular piston or flow rater stuffs.

Tex Arcana
06-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Yep...upsizing always sounds good until you start trying to do it properely. Then it becomes a biotch.

Too many guys think you can just throw a bigger unti at the house...BIG MISTAKE.

Well, hell, Rocks.. you know as well as I do all he needs to do is cut a hole in the roof and drop in a couple winder units... :d

03LightningRocks
06-13-2005, 12:12 AM
No its way undersized. This house is always hot as hell... The house was a rental when we bought it. They just replaced stuff with cheap stuff, etc when the put it on the market for sale. Moms friend thatsa a.c man came out and said its to small of a unit for the house. He installed our unit at our house we had built 21 years ago when we moved here from florida. So we trust him i guess..

If it was me spending the green i would have called you.

I don't do Arlington...we don't have enough people to stretch out that far. Listen up...and listen good. Everything mentioned in this thread by Terry and myself...must be done to upsize a unit properely. Even if the house is undersized. Did he do a heat load...or are we just guessing here?

Like I said...I don't do Arlington. But I do like to see a job done right. If he leaves out any of these steps...he is not doing it right.

Rocks:beer:

PoorSvtman
06-13-2005, 12:13 AM
The fins are bent cause of a retard of a neighbor that said he would clean the fins with some acid or some crap. Told my mom its not a good idea. Came home and the fins were smashed. I knew the unit was going to bite the dust sooner or later.

PoorSvtman
06-13-2005, 12:15 AM
I dont know what he has planned. He came out today just cause we know him. But hes coming back tomorow. Ill talk to him.

Thanks guys.

L8 APEX
06-13-2005, 12:16 AM
That unit could have worked fine when running at capacity. With those bent fins it can't dump the heat out of the refrigerant. If 50% of the fins are bent over then you jsut took a 3 ton unit and made it as effective as your average window unit...

Tex Arcana
06-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Nah, he don't need them, he can use the rubber hoses off the moonshine still.. :d

L8 APEX
06-13-2005, 12:23 AM
Nah, he don't need them, he can use the rubber hoses off the moonshine still.. :d
You haven't built many stills have you.. They are all copper lined:D

03LightningRocks
06-13-2005, 12:26 AM
That unit could have worked fine when running at capacity. With those bent fins it can't dump the heat out of the refrigerant. If 50% of the fins are bent over then you jsut took a 3 ton unit and made it as effective as your average window unit...

This is the point your missing Mike. You may not need a bigger unit. "The house has been hot as hell since we moved in," is not a reason to make it bigger. The unit you have probably would have cooled the house just fine if it had been working right. This is exactly how people get screwed. Most techs are not design guys.

Print this thread Mike. Every item on this thread MUST be adressed or disaster awaits. I don't care if this guy sends money to starving kids in China. He can still screw up your house by mistake.

Remember this..........."The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Let me know if you need help.

Rocks;)

PoorSvtman
06-13-2005, 12:36 AM
The fins werent always bent. It was last year i think the retard bent them. I knew it was hurting the unit. Mom just didnt listen to me. Weve been in this house for a good while (6years or so) and its never been cool even when the fins were fine. Same with the house thats exactly the same across the street. I think its more to do with how its set up. I dunno. Im going to talk with the guy.

Tex Arcana
06-13-2005, 12:44 AM
You haven't built many stills have you.. They are all copper lined:D

Hey, stop messin' with my "Redneck Rampage" thread hijacking... :tongue:

03LightningRocks
06-13-2005, 12:48 AM
The fins werent always bent. It was last year i think the retard bent them. I knew it was hurting the unit. Mom just didnt listen to me. Weve been in this house for a good while (6years or so) and its never been cool even when the fins were fine. Same with the house thats exactly the same across the street. I think its more to do with how its set up. I dunno. Im going to talk with the guy.

Go in your attic and check the insulation. If you can see wood studs...you found your problem. For a couple hundred bucks, you can blow in an R-30 insulation and solve the size problem while you reduce electrical costs. It makes a HUGE difference.

It's not just the bent fins....so don't go back to the Always been hot theory. Many things can cause you to be fooled about your A/C size. It is not cheaper to put in a smaller unit. The old owners did not do that. They may have put in an off brand POS, but the size does not save money.

Anyway...you have enough info to check it out if you can keep an open mind. I have no reason to BS you Mike. This size thing is a real big deal. If you want to PM me your address, I can pull the lay out of your house and at least get a ball park on the proper size.

Talk to you later.

Rocks

Tex Arcana
06-13-2005, 12:49 AM
This is the point your missing Mike. You may not need a bigger unit. "The house has been hot as hell since we moved in," is not a reason to make it bigger. The unit you have probably would have cooled the house just fine if it had been working right. This is exactly how people get screwed. Most techs are not design guys.

Print this thread Mike. Every item on this thread MUST be adressed or disaster awaits. I don't care if this guy sends money to starving kids in China. He can still screw up your house by mistake.

Remember this..........."The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Let me know if you need help.

Rocks;)

Ynyeah, you yung'uns need to lissen to him, he know whut he be talkin' 'bout... now gitonouttaheeyuh and print dis hea three-ad, lak he done tol' ya. :d

bobbywade69
06-13-2005, 10:51 AM
Listen to Rocks, Terry and myself on all this good info we see it all the time and know what we are talking about!! I didn't chime in much becasue all the key points are meet before I saw the tread but they are all right. I have a good example, last week I had a service call at a customers house said he had a new cond. unit installed and the evp coil keep freezing up, the customer said he had cond unit "UPSIZED" to cool better 2-tons "UPSIZED" :eek2: but like alot of the a/c companys around here it all depends on the money you want to spen they could care less on proper sizing, so the customoer spent some more money on have to buy another cond unit!!:nono: :bs So just make sure you ask some question just trying to help you out mikie!! Have any question just let us know we can help you out!!:tu:

cpeapea
06-13-2005, 08:13 PM
as for the bent fins: you can buy a fin comb to help straighten them out they are cheap. i bet they got bent by high water pressure when he attempted to wash out the condensing unit.

off topic: i did some contract work on at a friends thermal plant that he worked at, i just did some controls troubleshooting. but they had several 3000 ton chillers that were powered by 2500hp electric 3phase motors, juiced with 4160volts. you could feel the ground shake when they started up. he is a maintenance mechanic there, he mostly works in the power generation plant, which runs bessemer-cooper 2 story tall 16cyl diesel engines. you can crawl in the crankcase and the crank throws are bigger than a human. they generate well over 30 megawatts there

Tex Arcana
06-13-2005, 10:09 PM
as for the bent fins: you can buy a fin comb to help straighten them out they are cheap. i bet they got bent by high water pressure when he attempted to wash out the condensing unit.

off topic: i did some contract work on at a friends thermal plant that he worked at, i just did some controls troubleshooting. but they had several 3000 ton chillers that were powered by 2500hp electric 3phase motors, juiced with 4160volts. you could feel the ground shake when they started up. he is a maintenance mechanic there, he mostly works in the power generation plant, which runs bessemer-cooper 2 story tall 16cyl diesel engines. you can crawl in the crankcase and the crank throws are bigger than a human. they generate well over 30 megawatts there

Damn, nice :ron: there... :eek2: