PDA

View Full Version : Blown Plugs

rxstang
06-13-2005, 08:42 AM
I might have just messed up! I changed my plugs back in Jan. No problems untils June 1st blew #5 plug out didn't strip threads, put a new plug in worked. A week later I blew #3 out, didn't strip threads put back in worked fine. Friday blew #5 out againg went to Westway asked if the put anything other than anit seaze on plugs to keep them in they said no. Put the plug back in worked fine, Saturday woke up early took out all plugs regapped, put on anti seaze, let sit a while. Went to test drive blew #5 out and this time stripped the threads. Now looking back my next step was probably a stupid one......I hela coiled the #5 hole..........question has anyone done this and ford still taken care of the heads under warranty. Also I'm out of warranty I have almost 92k on the truck.......so any answers to my new problem of I can't get the truck to idle properly now.

L8 APEX
06-13-2005, 09:28 AM
It damages the threads every time they blow out even if you can get one back in. Ford will not cover it if the heads or plugs are not 100% stock. Once you have touched them they run away.

BC Lightning
06-13-2005, 12:29 PM
went to Westway

That's your problem :nono:

Mr.Ed
06-13-2005, 09:17 PM
I launched #3 plug last year. I had it fixed at Skyline Ford. Replaced the head. It cost me right at eight hundred dollars. They said they would cover the parts but I had to pay the labor. I only had 25K miles at the time (99L) I felt I sort of got screwed but what can you doo!!!!! My extended warranty had just expired the month before. :( :(

Good luck Ed

rxstang
06-14-2005, 07:59 AM
After going back over the truck, spark plug, and heli coil on Mondaym noticed that the coil pack had a hole in it, very small.....replaced the coil pack and the truck seems to be running fine for now. Lets just hope it stays that way. Thanks for everyones info.

99WhiteBeast
06-14-2005, 09:51 AM
I launched #3 plug last year. I had it fixed at Skyline Ford. Replaced the head. It cost me right at eight hundred dollars. They said they would cover the parts but I had to pay the labor. I only had 25K miles at the time (99L) I felt I sort of got screwed but what can you doo!!!!! My extended warranty had just expired the month before. :( :(

Good luck Ed

That has been the going rate for club members at Texan Ford when going through Vince there. I don't think you got screwed since the cost of a new head and labor is close to $2400.

Mark #2
06-14-2005, 06:20 PM
That has been the going rate for club members at Texan Ford when going through Vince there. I don't think you got screwed since the cost of a new head and labor is close to $2400.

Really a set of used heads is ~$400 that leaves 20 hours a $100/hour. Wow.
Mark

L8 APEX
06-14-2005, 09:54 PM
The dealer isn't quoting a used head. A new replacemnt head is 1200 bucks and book labor for head R&R is about 10 hours plus shop supplies. Ford gets either 75 or 90 bucks an hour. The Ford engine gasket set is 550 bucks.

Mr.Ed
06-15-2005, 12:21 PM
I paid some extra for them to go ahead and replace all the plugs. I figured by doing that if I launched another one in the near future it would be warranted since they were the ones that replaced the plugs. I wanted them to put on a 2003 head but they said it wouldn't work. I know the newer heads have more threads to make them a little stronger. I know for sure they put on a new head cause I was there and they showed it to me I also dropped in when the mechanic was installing it, just to make sure. If you know what I mean!!!

Ed

rxstang
06-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Well 100 miles and it is still working, I'm just afraid to boost the damn thing to hard until I get some extra cash under the belt. It sure is a pain to not slam the gas when passing some of these morons on the road........Maybe I'll hit the lotto............