PDA

View Full Version : what can i do?

cpeapea
06-18-2005, 02:01 PM
ok, i like to try and take care of my paint on my vehicle. i wash and wax at least once a week, i like my truck to look like a black mirror. the only thing that gets me is i find little scratches that werent there previously. now waxing seems to lessen the affect of small scratches, but it seems that i can still see some of them. it looks like some of them were left from someone leaning against my truck. how can i prevent small but pesky scratches or can i maybe fix them? wetsanding or abrasives?

i know the front ends are rock catchers and i can deal with that but the sides of my truck bother me.

Mark #2
06-18-2005, 03:50 PM
ok, i like to try and take care of my paint on my vehicle. i wash and wax at least once a week, i like my truck to look like a black mirror. the only thing that gets me is i find little scratches that werent there previously. now waxing seems to lessen the affect of small scratches, but it seems that i can still see some of them. it looks like some of them were left from someone leaning against my truck. how can i prevent small but pesky scratches or can i maybe fix them? wetsanding or abrasives?

i know the front ends are rock catchers and i can deal with that but the sides of my truck bother me.

I would not wet sand, Look a Meguiars line of products, their number 2 polish has done a good job keeping the K5's paint reasonable looking for 17 years.

3M's professional series fine cut compound part number 39002 is a little more agressive but I have also used with success.
Mark

cpeapea
06-18-2005, 10:56 PM
ill look into that, meguiars is good stuff, i use their gold class wax.

Silver_2000
06-18-2005, 11:07 PM
I agree with Mr WWFB
Polish and compound need to be first steps - in that order

Doug

my2002lightning
06-18-2005, 11:27 PM
Gaven,

Check into the whole Tropi-Care list of products, too. Ask Unsane.:)

I'm looking to go that direction, too.

Ronald

andy_cain
06-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Get yourself some microfiber cloths/towels/wash mits (to avoid scratches and swirls) then buff the swirls, fine scatches and crap out with 3M Fine cut or Perfect it II (for heavier stuff) or Tropi-care's cutter (for lighter swirls and scratches) and finish it off with some TC polish:tu:

For a black truck...better spend the $125. and get a Porter Cable buffer with some sponge pads...you'll thank yourself later!
Swing by one weekend and I'll hook ya up Gavin.

jcblack
06-19-2005, 11:26 AM
These are the newest of new polishes from 3M, Perfect-it 3000. Use these with the 3M mmicrofiber towels and you will be in business. Use a good wax after you finish. These will get rid of any scratches in the clear coat. None of these are really abrasive, not even the rubbing compound, so you wont be making more scratches than you started with. I would stick with the swirl mark remover and the glaze.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/Mediawebserver.jpgFor Heavier Scratches

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/Mediawebserver2.jpgFor Finer Scratches Like You Are Talking About

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/Mediawebserver3.jpgFor the finest of fine scratches

cpeapea
06-19-2005, 11:53 AM
sweet, thanks for all the advice, im just a little nutty about my paintjobs sometimes.