PDA

View Full Version : New Ride

devildog92
06-20-2005, 03:36 PM
I picked up a new ride Saturday, a 1994 F150 with 5.0L. Runs and looks pretty good still, even after 191k on the odo. I bought it to go back and forth with to work in Dallas, keeps the miles off the Mach. I am going to do a motor swap, probably a Christmas present to myself if the $$ permits. Like to go a Windsor sportsman 392 from Ford. Looks like a good motor, might try to spice it up. I am guessing the swap is pretty painless, but I feel the need for cubic inches for sure, that lil 302 is just worn out...Now that we live in the country and we are putting a house together, I need to haul stuff, right? I need a p/up with a 392 stroker, at least thats what I told the wife. I liked that 408 Calvert motor though in the Gen 1 forum though...Hmmmmm.

WA 2 FST
06-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Unless you find some way to register it out of the county, just remember that it has to pass the loaded sniffer test. Anything too radical will fail, and then you'll be wishing you'd left the stock 5.0 in it. After all its a commuter vehicle.

Sixpipes
06-20-2005, 04:27 PM
loaded sniffer test.......

Reminds me of my college days at Bama. :D

devildog92
06-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Unless you find some way to register it out of the county, just remember that it has to pass the loaded sniffer test. Anything too radical will fail, and then you'll be wishing you'd left the stock 5.0 in it. After all its a commuter vehicle.

Thank you for the advice. I have went back and forth about a 331 with TFS heads and an edelbrock truck manifold, although honestly I know nothing about that particular manifold. I do want to keep it legal, but want to get some HP out of it since it will be towing _some_ and I can't get the Vette until end of 1st qtr of next yr (I promised my wife). A 331 would be better on emissions, I guess, and maybe FRPP headers and a catted exhaust (?). I've never had anything like this '94 5.0L truck, my ole Gen II Lightning was so cool I would just like to get a little of the performance back that I miss from having to sell that truck.

Help a brutha out :)

WA 2 FST
06-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Tough call, Dan. Before doing anything crazy like a cammed stroker motor, I'd consider a near-stock rebuild with a Vortech or Kenne Bell blower. It will run 14s with a decent exhaust if you did that. Far more performance that you'd get out of a 331, and it will remain emissions-legal as well.

My '94 L with an 8psi A-trim Vortech, FMS shorty headers, _stock_ cat H-pipe, and a Borla cat-back ran 13.4 @ 103mph on stock tires. Granted, it had more cubes and more rear gearing (4.10s) than your truck does.

It isn't going to be cheap no matter what you do, but in my opinion a daily commuter that you have to struggle to get past the emissions-Nazis is a royal PITA.

Tex Arcana
06-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Hey, what color is your Mach?? I think I've seen you running oround out here...

devildog92
06-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Hey, what color is your Mach?? I think I've seen you running oround out here...

My Mach is black. Its a great car, but I want more power, and with these new mod motors besides supercharging or turbo there is not alot you can do to it w/o MAJOR bucks other than gears and exhaust. I am a big-time Windsor fan, and when I had my '02 L I really fell head-over-heels with the truck, but I had to get rid of it since I then had a co. car and could not justify the payment any longer.

If I go a 306 route, should I then go TFS TW heads and a Edelbrock truck intake? The supercharger is 5k or so installed I am sure, so that will have to wait. This is not going to be a race truck, more of a fast work truck, that is for sure. However, I do want the truck to at least hold up with a RSX-type Ricer. For the Emission Nazis (with Wes, I thus agree ;) ) that might be the way to go (with the 306, maybe an e303 cam, TFW TW stock heads and edelbrock intake with FRPP shorty headers). Problem is, I do not think that the aftermarket makes a catback and h-pipe for the longbed. I looked at Borla and Magnaflow, no dice. I hate to go the custom route, way too expensive. I have heard bad things about DSS blocks (although I am unsure if this is the case), so I guess Keith Craft or Bennett would be the way to go for the motor (?).

Any further advice would be appreciated knana

devildog92
06-24-2005, 09:05 AM
I think I found a pkg that will get me what I am looking for, while keeping emissions in check in Collin Co.

Edelbrock # 3881, efi intake for 351W
3837 efi twin blade T/B
3782 performer plus cam
60379 or 60399 Performer Heads

All this, in conjunction with FRPP # M 6009 E58 (new 351W block) with shorty headers (M 9430 T58) will get me a powerful, low emissions work/play truck.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/manifolds/ford_sb_fuel-inject.shtml

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/heads/ford_sb_performer.shtml

Let me know what you think...

TP Derrick D
06-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Reminds me of my college days at Bama. :D

6er,
U went to the UA? Man I knew you were cool for more reasons than owning a few L's :tu:

WA 2 FST
06-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Dan,

I'd get the same Edelbrock package with the FRPP 392 block. That would be a sweet combo. Remember, though, to jump from the 302 to the 351W, you'll need a few "special" items. These include EGR cross-over pipe that bolts to the back of the heads, new headers and H-pipe (stock stuff will not bolt up with the wider deck 351W), and fuel rail crossover. If the 351/392 does not come with a new oil pan, you'll need one of those as well, and possibly a new harmonic balancer.

As for exhaust, more than likely you'll have to go the custom route. Honestly, I can't imagine a cat-back where the pipes go straight out the back being that expensive to fab up.

diablolightning
06-26-2005, 02:42 PM
cough cough mass air conversion cough cough:twitch:

you will need it to run a a nice cam/ heads / intake etc.

My opinion;

Mass air conversion, 302 or 306, FRPP b cam, gt 40 heads, 1.7 RR's, edel. truck intake & TB, and a dry 100 or 125 shot. prolly around 260ish hp and 330ishtq and 350ish hp and 420ish tq on the hose.:bows nice quick daily beater without braking the bank.
Miguel

WA 2 FST
06-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Oops... yeah, I forgot those years were SD. SD will work, but it will take a good tuning device to make it work. MAF is much more flexible.

Dan... my personal opinion is to leave it the heck alone. Drive it til it dies, then get another beater to commute with. Then get your C6 Z06 or whatever you're saving up for, instead of burning $$ on something that will never be very fast no matter how much you spend on it. Just my $.02.
It's easy to get carried away with something like this and then it just becomes a money pit.

devildog92
06-27-2005, 08:48 AM
cough cough mass air conversion cough cough:twitch:

you will need it to run a a nice cam/ heads / intake etc.

My opinion;

Mass air conversion, 302 or 306, FRPP b cam, gt 40 heads, 1.7 RR's, edel. truck intake & TB, and a dry 100 or 125 shot. prolly around 260ish hp and 330ishtq and 350ish hp and 420ish tq on the hose.:bows nice quick daily beater without braking the bank.
Miguel

I think Miguel and Wes are right on. My truck comes equiped with MAS, which I cant figure out if it came from the factory in '94 or someone did the conversion some time ago. Cheap and durable is the way to go. Lone Star Performance said they would build the 351W I have now to put in the truck. If I go cheap with nodular iron crank, hyper-pistons, etc I dont think it would cost more than $1700 to build, do you guys? That way, I can save ALOT of money, maybe search ebay for a set of iron GT40's for cheap, a comp cam and be done with it for under 2k. This allows me to save money to give to Terry to do heads, cam, intake and exhaust on the 01-03 Vette I am saving for :)

Any extra advice would be great...

WA 2 FST
06-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Nothing wrong with a properly built motor with a nodular iron crank and hyper pistons. It will take way more abuse than you'll throw at it. You can get GT-40 iron heads _very_ cheap. Basically, what you could end up with is a stock '93-95 Lightning powerplant, which would be nice. I don't know what it would all cost. That's something for LSP to figure out for you. :)

devildog92
06-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Nothing wrong with a properly built motor with a nodular iron crank and hyper pistons. It will take way more abuse than you'll throw at it. You can get GT-40 iron heads _very_ cheap. Basically, what you could end up with is a stock '93-95 Lightning powerplant, which would be nice. I don't know what it would all cost. That's something for LSP to figure out for you. :)

Is $350 too much for a set of GT-40's, w/o rockers? I have found some rocker for between 75-120 too. I guess these will significanly outflow the 5.0 truck hads on there now?

devildog92
06-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Is $350 too much for a set of GT-40's, w/o rockers? I have found some rocker for between 75-120 too. I guess these will significanly outflow the 5.0 truck hads on there now?

The other thing, anyone know of a GT-40 intake 4sale? I am looking on ebay, but I really dont trust some people. I have been burned a few times, so I am gunshy, well, ebay shy.

diablolightning
06-27-2005, 08:51 PM
$350 is good for some gt40s also don't forget a dry kit @$175-250 used I would use 1.7's for the rokers. and a b cam my fav 302 cam. I had this cam in my coupe with the a/c on in traffic and in the heat and it always ran very good. and sounds great for a mildass cam.:evil

Miguel

devildog92
06-30-2005, 11:04 AM
I found a guy that will sell his GT40's and 1.7 rockers for $450. Doesnt sound like too bad a deal. I also bid on ebay for the complete setup for a GT40 intake, with injectors, rails, T/B, intake tube and 1" spacer for $425 (I didnt meet reserve yet, though I am the high bidder).

We'll see what happens.