PDA

View Full Version : Good lake to take boat

00Bolt
06-27-2005, 10:47 AM
what is a good lake to take boat out to? I dont have a lake house, so would just have to go somewhere. perfer a lake thats not SOOO crowded like Joe Pool, has some nice spots to stop, get out and swim and also maybe with some place like a marina/shop/food, etc....

i bought a boat last night but i have never been around boats or lakes much in my life, have a few friends with baots.... one has a lake house on granbury and another on possum kingdom... but since i dont have a lake house to chill at, lookin for a lake thats fun with maybe stuff to do... any ideas? im in mansfield, and i know joe pool and lake arlington are real close, but dont know much about either except the few times iv been to joe pool it was CROWDED

Shiner1
06-27-2005, 12:46 PM
Ray Roberts is a nice lake and in general not as crowded as Lewisville.

98Cobra
06-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Thats true. And grapevine is nice too.

tiffo60
06-27-2005, 03:11 PM
ray roberts has alot of stumps, eagle mountian isnt a bad lake but can get crowded at times, like forth of july will probally be swamped

SpeedyBolt
06-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Scott, you should come down to Whitney man. The lake isn't crowded except on holiday weekends and it has some really bad ass cliffs to enjoy! I've got plenty of extra room if you needed a place to crash also! It's about 1hr drive depending on how fast you drive! :D

00Bolt
06-27-2005, 05:49 PM
ya iv heard Whiney is pretty nice with the cliffs and all.... iv got a few family members comin in town, so not sure what we going to do... i was originally thinking stay somewhere close like joe pool or whatever so we can go back to the house, but maybe we could camp out or something there..

my2002lightning
06-28-2005, 12:34 AM
Check out Texoma and/or Murray.

Silver_2000
06-28-2005, 07:18 AM
I live about 6 minutes from the Infamous Lewisville lake

http://www.lewisvillepartycove.com/gallery/data//521/Jun1105Pic13.jpg

But its NOT a lake I would recommend for beginners - Its REALLY busy especially this weekend and the amount of silicone can be disorienting....

Beaudee
06-28-2005, 07:20 AM
:tu: :tu: :banana: :beer: :evil
I live about 6 minutes from the Infamous Lewisville lake

http://www.lewisvillepartycove.com/gallery/data//521/Jun1105Pic13.jpg

L8 APEX
06-28-2005, 09:11 AM
I'd put water muffs on it and make sure things work before boating. I would also generally get everything in order as for registration tags, trailer lights, fire extinguisher, paddle, vests for all occupants and whatever else the coast guard requires. Make sure you put the plug in.

Silver_2000
06-28-2005, 09:27 AM
I'd put water muffs on it and make sure things work before boating. I would also generally get everything in order as for registration tags, trailer lights, fire extinguisher, paddle, vests for all occupants and whatever else the coast guard requires. Make sure you put the plug in.

Good points

"the man" is pretty hardcore about registraton and safety stuff .. They can pull you over at any time for anything - just to chat ....

liteitup
06-28-2005, 10:12 AM

a holiday weekend is probably the worst time to learn how to launch and retrieve a boat. The ramp is typically a zoo and patience from others is non-existent

00Bolt
06-28-2005, 10:23 AM
i already took it out on Sunday, tags and everything are good... this isnt that old boat from last week. I took your guys advice, that one probably needed alot of work.

I found a boat, its nothing real fancy, but its a 1992 Four Winns. 4 years ago had a new engine and all new interior put in and it runs and looks practically new. My father in law bought it for us, so it was free. But I took it out on Eagle Mountain lake on Sunday and it ran like a champ.... prolly cant wakeboard, but ski/kneeboard and tube should be no problem... it goes about 40+ which I thought was decent....

00Bolt
06-28-2005, 10:52 AM
the only thing I need at this point is 1 red tailight (was busted out) and life jackets... everything else is good...

i do have one question though, probably a pretty stupid question but I dont know the answer so I thought I would ask. What is the actual law with drinking on a boat. I know 99.9% of people drink on a boat, but im just curious what the actual law says... its allowed on the boat, but driver cant drink or what???

Silver_2000
06-28-2005, 11:18 AM
the only thing I need at this point is 1 red tailight (was busted out) and life jackets... everything else is good...

i do have one question though, probably a pretty stupid question but I dont know the answer so I thought I would ask. What is the actual law with drinking on a boat. I know 99.9% of people drink on a boat, but im just curious what the actual law says... its allowed on the boat, but driver cant drink or what???

BWI is the same as DWI

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/boat/

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/enforce/boatingfaq.phtml

Doug

Operation of Your Boat ("")

It is unlawful for any person to:

Operate at a rate of speed greater than is reasonable and prudent or greater than will permit him to bring such boat to a stop within the assured clear distance ahead.
Operate so as to cause a hazardous wake or wash.
Operate in a circular course around fishermen or swimmers.
Moor or attach to any buoy, beacon, light marker, stake, flag or other aid to safe operation, or to move, remove, displace, tamper with, damage or destroy the same.
Anchor in the traveled portion of any river or channel so as to prevent, impede, or interfere with safe passage of any other boat through the same area.
Operate within an area designated as bathing, fishing, swimming, or otherwise restricted.
Operate within designated "no wake" area except at headway speed without creating a swell or wake.
Engage in water skiing, surfboarding or other similar activity between the hours of ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise; provided that this shall not apply to vessels used in recognized water ski tournaments, competitions, exhibitions or trials, provided that the water area is adequately lighted.
Operate while intoxicated (loss of mental or physical faculties, or blood alcohol content of .08 or higher). First conviction punishable by a fine not to exceed $2,000, confinement in jail not to exceed 180 days or both; second conviction punishable by a fine not to exceed $4,000, confinement not to exceed one year or both; third conviction punishable by a fine not to exceed $10,000, imprisonment for not more than 10 years or less than 2 years. **Failure to submit a specimen to determine blood alcohol content may result in suspension of your driver's license.
Operate any vessel or manipulate any water skis, aquaplane or similar device, in a willful or wanton disregard of the rights or safety of others and at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property. (Violation of this provision shall be punishable, upon conviction, by a fine of not less than $200 nor more than $2,000 or by confinement in jail not to exceed 180 days or both.)
Swim or dive within two hundred yards of any sight-seeing or excursion boat except for maintenance purposes or unless within an enclosed area.
Operate within 50 feet of a "Diver Down Flag" or operate a boat within 150 feet of a "Diver Down Flag" except at Headway/Steerage Speed.
Fail to comply with the U.S. Coast Guard Inland Rules of the Road.

Lightning Dude
06-28-2005, 05:38 PM
One thing you should do Is go early, where I launch(Eagle Point) as long as you get there at a good time, even on the weekeds its pretty quiet.

L8 APEX
06-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Replace the lamps with LED units. You can dunk them for a lifetime and never worry. Regular bulbs pop when they change from hot to being dunked in cold water. Pops, use to unplug his trailers and let the bulbs cool before backing into the lake.
http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=LEDTLK01&Category_Code=TLK

00Bolt
06-29-2005, 06:31 AM
good idea about the lights..

anyone know of a good place to get life jackets? i need to get at least 6 adult and a few child ones just to have...

Silver_2000
06-29-2005, 06:42 AM
good idea about the lights..

anyone know of a good place to get life jackets? i need to get at least 6 adult and a few child ones just to have...

You also need a type 4 PFD - a throwable cushion.
I would look at Academy or Walmart - they both have cheap lifejackets.
BassPro shops has MUCH bigger selection but is more expensive.
My boat is Certed for 10 poeple soI have 10 of the ugly organge old fashioned PFDs and also 3 or 4 ski jacket types. You can never have too many.

You also HAVE TO have a horn - I would get a small compressed air horn just in case you get a jerk warden ....

Doug

00Bolt
06-29-2005, 10:17 AM
well the boat has a horn on it, kinda like a car horn... does that qualify or do you mean a hand held air horn?

this boat says like 8 people or 1200lbs or something like that, yet it has 9 seats???

how much are those cheap-o orange jackets? ill prolly go that route and just get a couple nice ski ones like you did....

Silver_2000
06-29-2005, 03:16 PM
I would get them in a bag of 4 - its easier to store and keep track of ..

no idea the cost

BC Lightning
06-29-2005, 04:04 PM
one thing to also remember when you are on the lake if you do get stoped, depending on what lake you could get stoped frequently, you will be stoped by the game warden. they arent like cops, they can come and search your boat with out a warrant, make sure you have all the things that are required to have a boat on the lake like what doug pointed out

I suggest two good neoprene life jackets, o' brien, connelly, gladiator, etc and however many cheap life jackets you need per person on the boat

you will also need a fire extinguisher, throw cushion, horn, registration card, numbers on side of boat, and registration sticker on side of boat

I have a Liquid Force wakeboard, Connelly slalom, O' Brien Jumper skiis
Keep in mind your skill and the use that you will get out of them, you don't want a pro level if you won't use it enough, plus the higher the level the more of an edge for turning and tricks.

if I think of any other things i'll post again