PDA

View Full Version : New owner here with a few questions...

Mika
07-18-2005, 11:06 PM
I just bought an '04 L with 31K on it. What should I change out? Spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter(I know its dirty), oil/filter change, coolant? Anything else that I'm missing? How about the s/c fluid and the intercooler fluid? How often should those be changed? I'd like to do the FTVB, so I'll save $$$ for the trans fluid and valve body and a trans pan too. Thanks guys...

Mika

L8 APEX
07-18-2005, 11:26 PM
The coolant is good for a long time it should be the Ford Gold stuff. I do fuel filters every 10K max. Check the oil as L's eat some I run Mobil1 10-30 during the summer. Then a pulley and tune and you will be a cooler person:cool: .

Mika
07-19-2005, 04:18 AM
Terry, I appreciate you posting and guiding me. I want to get my car up to snuff on the maintainence(sp) stuff first, and then go for some more power. A pulley and a tune were definitely in the future.

Also, what kind of brake pads would you recommend? Are the aftermarket ones better/cheaper? Thanks again.

Mika

Silver_2000
07-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Welcome

There has been LOTS of discussion of brake pads. In my opinion if you keep stock rotors its tough to beat the stock pads for stoppong power, brake dust and bang for buck. I know lots of people will disagree but Ill just ban them when they do ....:evil

Doug

Mika
07-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Welcome

There has been LOTS of discussion of brake pads. In my opinion if you keep stock rotors its tough to beat the stock pads for stoppong power, brake dust and bang for buck. I know lots of people will disagree but Ill just ban them when they do ....:evil

Doug

Thanks Doug. I hear ya on the stockers...I think I'll stick with 'em. Anyone know a good place to get 'em? I'll search for this too!:)

Mika

Silver_2000
07-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks Doug. I hear ya on the stockers...I think I'll stick with 'em. Anyone know a good place to get 'em? I'll search for this too!:)

Mika

First place to look is Terry at Peformance research - a supporting vendor here
Second place is fordpartsonline.com

BC Lightning
07-19-2005, 11:46 AM

Mika

I only saw 27,000 miles out of my stock rotors and pads :hammer:

now with EBC rotors and pads

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/PICT1661.JPG (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

Tex Arcana
07-19-2005, 06:15 PM
Welcome

Doug
Hey, I have the BANDHAMMEr, I wo'nt EVAR get teh BANNAGE!! knana

Seriously, I went for a set of the NAPA Ceramix, and I think they're warping one of my rotors--tho, to be fair, that one's been turned twice for warpage, and IMHO once you turn a rotor for warping, it's just gonna warp again. However, I do like the way the pads work--good, hard stops, minimal fade, and good heat resistance.

Tex Arcana
07-19-2005, 06:16 PM
I only saw 27,000 miles out of my stock rotors and pads :hammer:

now with EBC rotors and pads

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/PICT1661.JPG (http://javascript<b></b>:;)
You left-foot brake alot? :eek:

BC Lightning
07-19-2005, 08:05 PM
You left-foot brake alot? :eek:

my problem is that I go too fast down the track when I'm whooping Adam, and have to slam on the brakes, right before the sand pit. . . . . . . . .that a white Lightning I know went through :D

Beaudee
07-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Take it to Terry and bring your check book, shopping list :d

True Blue Aggie
07-19-2005, 09:12 PM
my problem is that I go too fast down the track when I'm whooping Adam, and have to slam on the brakes, right before the sand pit. . . . . . . . .that a white Lightning I know went through :D

Its alright....I've got you covered to date. :throw: :D

StormShadow
07-19-2005, 09:25 PM
my problem is that I go too fast down the track when I'm whooping Adam, :D

:rll: In your dreams buddy.

L8 APEX
07-19-2005, 09:31 PM
This reminds me of Scotts smack talking:rolleyes:

Alpine
07-19-2005, 09:42 PM
have to slam on the brakes, right before the sand pit. . . . . . . . .that a white Lightning I know went through :D:rll: My parachute didnt open.:d I love the beach.

BC Lightning
07-19-2005, 09:57 PM
This reminds me of Scotts smack talking

It has been quiet on the boards lately hasn't it :rolleyes:

Its alright....I've got you covered to date. :throw: :D

:bows

:rll: In your dreams buddy.

:bs

03LightningRocks
07-19-2005, 11:04 PM
:rll: My parachute didnt open......snip

I hate when that sh!t happens. Glad you where able to maintain control and drive out of it. This is the true sign of a good driver.....anybody can stop when everything works right...what you where able to do after a malfunction of this magnitude deserves some serious respect.....:bows .

Rocks:tu:

Alpine
07-19-2005, 11:12 PM
I hate when that sh!t happens. Glad you where able to maintain control and drive out of it. This is the true sign of a good driver.....anybody can stop when everything works right...what you where able to do after a malfunction of this magnitude deserves some serious respect.....:bows .

Rocks:tu:Thanks Ron, I have been telling Rob that I am a better driver than him but he still doesnt believe me.:D No honestly when that happened, I closed my eyes, did a 180, sh!t my pants, and then opened my eyes and I was still alive.:tongue: The funny thing was I got out of the sand and got stuck in the wet grass and couldnt move.

03LightningRocks
07-19-2005, 11:22 PM
I had a real screwed up thing happen in Cordova this year. I was doing a Test and Tune pass trying to see how close I could get to an 11 flat without letting out of it. I crossed the finish line doing about 123. I let off the gas as usual...but this time the truck just kept hauling arse. I usually don't go for the brake until the truck slows down some in an effort to get more time out of my rotors. Because of this habit of not going for the brakes, I just kind of froze for a second or two. Meanwhile I am hitting 135 MPH and running the fock out of track. My gas peddle had gotten stuck under the floor mat. I was kicking and stomping the sh!t out of it, but not getting anywhere fast. I finally rembered Jim D saying something one time about keeping his hand near the key to turn off his ignition. I killed the truck and got her stopped about two foot from the dirt. I rembered your mishap at that very instant. **** can and does go wrong at the big end...thank goodness some of us get lucky and learn how to recover without getting killed.

Rocks:beer:

L8 APEX
07-19-2005, 11:28 PM
And what is your excuse running a 10 second truck with a floormat in it? You rebel rule breaker, did George tech that?:rolleyes:

03LightningRocks
07-19-2005, 11:34 PM
And what is your excuse running a 10 second truck with a floormat in it? You rebel rule breaker, did George tech that?:rolleyes:

I didn't want to get the carpet under the floor mat dirty....but now that you mention it, I probably should remove it.

Silver_2000
07-20-2005, 08:24 AM

Nice shot ....

Ive been to FFW and they didnt even open the hood - let alone look inside

TP Derrick D
07-20-2005, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=BC Lightning]It has been quiet on the boards lately hasn't it :rolleyes:

You noticed that too? I been kinda quite on here myself the past month or 2. Guess having my truck almost 5 years now I lost a little interest. Plus to me a lot of the old group have given them up and the new people coming on here just isn't the same.

Alpine
07-20-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm still here.:D

Mark #2
07-20-2005, 08:49 PM

You noticed that too? I been kinda quite on here myself the past month or 2. Guess having my truck almost 5 years now I lost a little interest. Plus to me a lot of the old group have given them up and the new people coming on here just isn't the same.

One old guy still here too:D

02BOLT
07-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Me too bro!:D

my2002lightning
07-20-2005, 09:19 PM
I've noticed a difference evolving lately, too. It's a cyclical thing, I suppose, with any organization over time.

I've just been too busy with work (and related stress, etc.) to participate much more.:mad:

True Blue Aggie
07-20-2005, 09:27 PM
Plus, since the only thing you do is wax your truck and look at it when you get in the Liberty, there is not much conversation to add from your end.....:D

03LightningRocks
07-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Plus, since the only thing you do is wax your truck and look at it when you get in the Liberty, there is not much conversation to add from your end.....:D

Where is that Snap picture when I need it?:eek:

True Blue Aggie
07-20-2005, 09:45 PM
http://www.depthless.com/~rwong/blog/stuff/ohsnap.jpg

my2002lightning
07-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Alright, smart-@ss! :D I haven't actually waxed the L since late-last summer. http://www.storagebin.us/uploads/smilies/damnit.gifhttp://www.storagebin.us/uploads/smilies/willy_nilly_copy1.gif

Waiting to goop on some TC at the new place to do it right. knanaI'll be sure and post-up the results for ya'. :D

Hmm....and I used to get called-out for thread-jacking? :evil

I think we're long overdue for a good :ron:. I'll have to see what I can cook-up.:D

Silver_2000
07-20-2005, 11:20 PM

Well - some of us are still here. Ive been in a bad mood lately - even banned a guy today.. That should make for some fun....

BC Lightning
07-21-2005, 12:55 AM
Where is that Snap picture when I need it?:eek:

who has the retarted kid running pic, talking about smack talking on the internet?

"Talking crap is like running a race in the special olympics, you may win but your still retarted" or along those lines

TP Derrick D
07-21-2005, 01:39 PM
I'm still here.:D

Hey Jeff !!
Yeah, you're the man !! I passed on my TALON bling king on to you ...The " N E W " KING OF BLING !!!! :D :beer: :tu:

TP Derrick D
07-21-2005, 01:53 PM

We got the photo, Lfest & FFW Ennis coming up maybe that will get the flame going. Maybe it will give some of the new people a chance to see whats up instead of just a lot of keyboard chatter thats been coming on here. Let's see how many will become supporting "REAL" TALON members or continue to be yappity registered users.

Lyfisin
07-21-2005, 01:56 PM
I'll be at the picture. I can't make it to LFest.

I have been to FFW the last couple of years, but there was some suggestion made about boycotting or something after what just happened to Rocks?

03LightningRocks
07-21-2005, 05:10 PM
L-Fest = Good................FFW = :Bullshit

[QUOTE=TP Derrick D]

We got the photo, Lfest & FFW Ennis coming up maybe that will get the flame going. Maybe it will give some of the new people a chance to see whats up instead of just a lot of keyboard chatter thats been coming on here. Let's see how many will become supporting "REAL" TALON members or continue to be yappity registered users.

TP Derrick D
07-21-2005, 05:59 PM
L-Fest = Good................FFW = :Bullshit

[QUOTE=TP Derrick D]
Hey Rocks,
Hate to hear about your "misunderstanding" with FFW officials. I been lucky I guess ,I been going ,doing car shows or running True Steet every year since 1994 except '98 when I had to miss. I always think I'll catch some s4!+ doing tech for some :Bullshit tho.

03LightningRocks
07-21-2005, 06:28 PM
It wasn't any kind of misunderstanding what so ever.

Here are the facts.

David Gates had a transbrake in his truck in clear violation of the rules.

At 8 am Sunday morning, The head tech from FFW told us that David was disqualified and get's no points for this event.

At 10:30 am, Head tech is telling the David Gates crew they are DQed... Vern Purdum is argueing his case.

At first round of elims, David Gates is still in.

Monday, George(head tech) comes up with a BS story about giving advanced approval to cover the fat that he either got payed off...or didn't have the balls to do what was right. Proof that his story on advanced approval was a lie, exists in the fact that had he given advanced approval, he never would have DQed David on Sunday morning. Here is the other angle...George gave a man advanced approval to use an illegal mod...and then was going to DQ him???? Holy crap...that is even worse.

I was standing 3 feet away wen George told Gates he was out. Not one person looked at George and said..."but you gave approval".

Either way...the proof is that a cover up just went down. Why???? who knows...pay off??? Afraid of Vern Purdam??? Afraid of the tranny company involved??? Non of the options are the makings of anything fair or proper. This means that to particapate...you are putting your stamp of approval on something less than honorable. I can't bring myself to support an organization based on dishonor.

So what, some may say. It's not like it really matters. But it does. Each and every day, we watch as our society degrades and allows the line of honor to be moved. What used to be considered wrong, we now say is maybe not so bad....I say Bull Sh!t. Wrong is still focking wrong....and I will be damned if I intentionally become part of it.

SpeedyBolt
07-21-2005, 07:18 PM
So what, some may say. It's not like it really matters. But it does. Each and every day, we watch as our society degrades and allows the line of honor to be moved. What used to be considered wrong, we now say is maybe not so bad....I say Bull Sh!t. Wrong is still focking wrong....and I will be damned if I intentionally become part of it.

Damn Rocks, I'm hearing the National Anthem playing in the background! Right On, somebody has to keep people straight!

BC Lightning
07-21-2005, 10:11 PM
http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/images/smilies/LS1Tech/gr_patriot.gif (http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=0&forumid=101#) :beer:

03LightningRocks
07-21-2005, 10:27 PM
LOL...you two young bucks are killing me here.....:D . The little guy saluting needs to become one of our forum avatars.....that is funny.