PDA

View Full Version : What I did for summer vacation

dboat
07-24-2005, 07:06 AM
by Dana Boatman

The wife and I went on a cross country tour via Lightning and plane. We live in Erie, PA, what one would call the Northeast part of the country. I had a 18' Bayliner boat that I owned in Dallas. These are open bow runabouts that one sees all over the Metroplex and by the dozens on the local lakes. Well for Lake Erie or some of the other lakes here, they arent nearly as practical. So I engaged my bro n law to sell my boat for me in San Antonio. We boarded the two cats and the two dogs, locked up the house and started the trek to my out laws, er in-laws :evil on Thursday evening after work. The first stop was my sisters house to spend the night in Owensboro, KY. We rolled in about 1am, parked the truck and boat out front and climbed in bed. We chatted for a few minutes the next morning and then hit the road for the long trek to Granite Shoals, Tx. The trip went well, I drove through all the major cities due to traffic concerns, and arrived at the out-laws at around 1am the next morning. Those were two hard days of driving :hammer: We were pretty much limited to a top speed of 65 mph due to the boat and boat trailers capabilities.
We then spent the next couple of days with the outlaws, then on Monday, we got our act together very late and headed up to Dallas. We drove up I35 and then headed over to Terry's to drop the truck off. Hung around for a short while, then called a limo, and had them take us to Mi Cocina (my wife's favorite place) and was able to have dinner with Doug and Unsane Wayne :beer: . The Unsane one shows up in his latest acquisition, another Viper and later takes Kim for a ride. At least the wife is now convinced we need a Viper :tu: Can we afford one, NO :crying: but if the day comes that we can, then at least I have the go ahead.
Doug is kind enough to take us to the airport so that we can catch our late flight out of DFW to Reno, NV to make the trip to Lake Tahoe. Our flight leaves at around 10p to arrive at Reno at 11p (dont forget about the 2 hour difference), then we get our rental car, queu up the GPS (these things are great, just bought a new portable one) and head on off to Lake Tahoe in the middle of the night. The GPS keeps us on track, we get to the Embassy Suites, check in at around midnight, and get some sleep.
The next few days are great as we drive around the lake, see the sites, dip our toes into the lake (water temp at the top a balmy 68 degrees). With highs in the low 80s and lows in the high 40s knana the weather was almost perfect. Lots of sunshine, food was great, etc. My parents were in the midst of a cross country tour themselves and met us for dinner one night (my treat of course) and spent the next morning with us driving around the lake seeing the sights.
On our last day there, we got out for breakfast and lunch, and checked out late for our trip back to Reno. Our flight back was supposed to leave at 12:30am (yes a red eye) and arrive in Dallas at 5:30 am. Just in time to get our luggage and meet Terry at Waffle House for some breakfast b4 we hit the road for a two day trip back to Erie. Well, we stopped for dinner in Reno, went to the mall to kill some time, and then we went to the airport. At checkin, we find out, due to weather, that our flight was delayed at least an hour, which became two hours. All the while Terry is working on the truck and we are chatting on the cell phone.
We finally get going (remember no sleep due to being in the airport) and fly back to DFW, get our luggage and grab a taxi to meet Terry. He is so great for getting the truck to us so close by and saving us at least a couple of hours of driving time, plus the truck was filled with gas. :bows
We head off out of town, taking 75 north into Ok then I40 east to Ark and heading north on I540 to stop in Springdale to see an ole buddy of mine that I hadnt seen in a while. We didnt look too good since we had been up all night and day. But we had a couple of burgers, chatted, said our good byes and headed up to St Louis. We call Hilton, get the last room at a Hampton Inn on the SW side, and drive right there with the help of the GPS. We were supposed to get up at 6a the next morning, the wake up call comes, but the wife wasnt budging, so we slept a little longer and got going at 10a. It was just straight driving after that, well after the stop at Starbucks, we arrived at home at 10:30p that night. I had a 7a meeting the next morning and I was pooped. But all was good.

I will say that one should do the cross country drive on occassion because you get to see things up close that you just dont see from a plane seat. It gives you a real appreciation for this land of ours and it lets you really see what the locals really think about what is going on in this country as well as the world. It has taken me about a week to recoup from all of this, but it was well worth it.

Dana

Moonshine
07-24-2005, 10:48 AM
Sounds like a great trip. :tu: I used to do a bunch of cross country driving when I was in college, but haven't done much since. Something tells me that 1,500 mile days might be a tad tougher these days. :rolleyes:

dboat
07-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Moonshine,
it was a great trip.. thankfully the days were only about 800 miles in length but they were tough.. we had just done the Indianapolis to Erie trip, nonstop, no gas not potty breaks nothing, back for the F1 race. But with the L, the gas mileage just isnt there to make that happen. We didnt have pets or kids to bother us either..
Thanks
Dana

Silver_2000
07-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Im leaving for a 3000 mile round trip in a few days

It will cost more to drive than to fly BUT - I like driving and I like having my truck when I get there...

Its a 1430 mile one way - about 3 hours north of Dana and Kim...

I plan to drive 800-1000 miles the first day - Stop in KY or OH and Get some sleep then stop by Erie for Lunch with Dana and Kim and then hit Rochester by afternoon. It takes part of a day to recover BUT it takes all day to fly up there and it takes part of a day to recover from wedging myself in the coach seats anyway.... So its not that different...

Doug

PoorSvtman
07-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Mi Cocina

I think thats every womans favorite resturant.. My g/f loves it and i think every girl i know loves to go there. Yet i have never been.

But I love road trips... Im looking forward to Lfest this year as it will be my first. After i recoup from that and save a bit more money its off to florida to see my best friend thats in the air force before he gets shipped to the desert and visit with some of my bunk arse family that cant ever come see or call my mom and I unless someone is diein or having surgery. :rolleyes:

I have 107k miles on the L and they are all fun smiles. I think I make a trip to austin and ft hood atleast 1-2times month.

my2002lightning
07-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Good read, Dana! :beer: I miss road-tripping - not enough hours-in-the-day, any more. :rolleyes: I want to road-trip the West and High-Country again someday - this time in the L.knana

Congrats on all the mods/etc. :banana: You're post-mod comments have me thinking. :cool:

dboat
07-24-2005, 03:14 PM
Good read, Dana! :beer: I miss road-tripping - not enough hours-in-the-day, any more. :rolleyes: I want to road-trip the West and High-Country again someday - this time in the L.knana

Congrats on all the mods/etc. :banana: You're post-mod comments have me thinking. :cool:

If you want to take a baby step. Buy my microtuner for $100, I'll ship it to you and you can start there.. just plug and play... then you can decide if you want to go further.. it would be the best bang for your buck you can do.. you already have the filter...

Dana

dboat
07-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Its a 1430 mile one way - about 3 hours north of Dana and Kim...

then stop by Erie for Lunch with Dana and Kim Doug

Cant wait to see ya big guy... We will make sure its a great place to have a meal.. :tu:

Dana

andy_cain
07-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Always great to see you guys:tu: