PDA

View Full Version : Drag help

PUMP
08-01-2005, 07:12 PM
I think I have done about all I can do to my 03 L just by reading everyones posts. I can't believe the amount and quality of information that I have been able to get. My mods are 4# JL pulley, Mac Air intack, trac bars (slapper type), JDM trany mod valve, Super Chips mico-tuner.

Now I am ready to try my hand at the drag track. The last time I did any drag racing was in 1962 (over 40 years ago) with a stock Plymouth Fury. Much has changed since then so really I am a track virgin. One thing I have not seen posted is info regarding what tire pressure to run when using slicks. I have MT 28 x 16 ET slicks M5 compound. The MT guidline says 16psi and up for over 3000-pounds and under 28". I would like to hear everyones inpu on this topic.

Mark #2
08-01-2005, 07:55 PM
I think I have done about all I can do to my 03 L just by reading everyones posts. I can't believe the amount and quality of information that I have been able to get. My mods are 4# JL pulley, Mac Air intack, trac bars (slapper type), JDM trany mod valve, Super Chips mico-tuner.

Now I am ready to try my hand at the drag track. The last time I did any drag racing was in 1962 (over 40 years ago) with a stock Plymouth Fury. Much has changed since then so really I am a track virgin. One thing I have not seen posted is info regarding what tire pressure to run when using slicks. I have MT 28 x 16 ET slicks M5 compound. The MT guidline says 16psi and up for over 3000-pounds and under 28". I would like to hear everyones inpu on this topic.

Most of us run around 18 psi on 28" tires in the 1/4 and 16 psi in the 1/8. Also please take no offense to this comment as I am an old fart too, but you might be the oldest drag racer in Talon if you do it. :tu: :tu:
Gives me hope for the future.
Mark

PUMP
08-01-2005, 09:36 PM
[You'r right about the old fart part. :( I have always had a strong interest in things auto, especially fixing those that arn't broken. Up until last year, I was always to busy making a living. Now that I am semi-retired,. I have the time and a little money to work for fun. I am still young enough for drag racing, in other words I am still good once as I always was.
Thanks for the input on tire pressure ;)

tliss
08-02-2005, 07:18 AM
I agree with Mark on the tire pressure. I use 18 psi in my slicks as well.

Let us know when you are heading out to the track and we'll be sure you are joined by a few others. It's nice to hang out with buddies while at the track.

Tom

PUMP
08-03-2005, 01:38 AM
I agree with Mark on the tire pressure. I use 18 psi in my slicks as well.

Let us know when you are heading out to the track and we'll be sure you are joined by a few others. It's nice to hang out with buddies while at the track.

Tom
I am planing for Friday evening the 12th at Denton. If anyone from TALON is going to be there, post up and I will look for you. :D

Tobbun
08-03-2005, 04:57 PM
but you might be the oldest drag racer in Talon if you do it.

Flatsman is pretty old... getting close to 62... :)

PUMP
08-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Flatsman is pretty old... getting close to 62... :)
Glad to hear there are some other DOM who are still kids at heart. :banana: I will be 66 the 16th of this month.

cobralight
08-06-2005, 11:44 AM
I'm also one of the "old farts" who is young at heart and has just gotten into drag racing (always "fixin' to" 'til now) since I got my '04 Silver Lightning.
I've been to Denton a couple of times (won against an SRT-10, he redlighted) and would like to meet up with other L's who want to drag, talk about and perform their own mods (when practicle).
I've noticed most TALON members go to Kennedale.
I live in Plano (Coit and McDermott) so Denton is closer and they run Friday and Saturday nights until 1:30 a.m.

Mods:
Hothckis TVS suspension kit
Coldair induction
Bassani BX exhaust
Valentine 1 (not sure this counts as a mod)

Fixin' to's:
Chip
Pulley
QA1's
Anything,within reason, that will make it go faster and not break.

Best way to contact me - mobile (214)-497-6443, reply to thread or private mail.

Ivanhoe_Farms
08-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Glad to hear there are some other DOM who are still kids at heart. :banana: I will be 66 the 16th of this month.

I would be in the same crowd.

But I like to think that old age and treachery will beat youth and vitality every time.:nana2

Mark #2
08-06-2005, 05:19 PM
What is DOM

PUMP
08-06-2005, 05:36 PM
What is DOM
You are obviously a youngster. DOM = Dirty Old Man :evil

Mark #2
08-06-2005, 06:42 PM

I try to pretend I'm a youngster, not a DOM yet... but a more senior member. I was the oldest at the monthly meeting, I think? ;)

03LightningRocks
08-06-2005, 08:00 PM

So now we have DOM and MILF. I suppose the younger members would be.....????

PUMP
08-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Paul:
I'm really close to you in Plano. Independance and Parkhaven. I would like to meet up sometime soon. I am going to Denton this coming Friday. If you are interested give me a PM.

PUMP
08-07-2005, 06:25 PM
So now we have DOM and MILF. I suppose the younger members would be.....????
DYM and wasted, as in "Youth is wasted on the young." :burnout:

03LightningRocks
08-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Paul:
I'm really close to you in Plano. Independance and Parkhaven. I would like to meet up sometime soon. I am going to Denton this coming Friday. If you are interested give me a PM.

I spent my ninth grade year at Haggard middle school. I lived on Parkhaven through all 2 of my high school years. I spent about two months in the senior high right down the road from you. We lived at the other end of Parkhaven, by Custer. Small World....:cool:

PUMP
08-08-2005, 12:16 PM
I spent my ninth grade year at Haggard middle school. I lived on Parkhaven through all 2 of my high school years. I spent about two months in the senior high right down the road from you. We lived at the other end of Parkhaven, by Custer. Small World....:cool:
Surly is a small world. I have lived on Oxford Court, one block south of Parkhaven since 1985. My daughter graduated from the senior high in 1984 and is now the principal at Bethany grade school (PSID).

03LightningRocks
08-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Surly is a small world. I have lived on Oxford Court, one block south of Parkhaven since 1985. My daughter graduated from the senior high in 1984 and is now the principal at Bethany grade school (PSID).

I would have graduated in 1979, but I decided I was too smart for all that book learning:rolleyes: , and left in 1977. I have to admit, I am a bit relieved to hear you didn't live in that neighborhood untill after I had left :tongue: . Now I don't have to worry about you remembering me:eek: .

Rocks:cool:

PUMP
08-08-2005, 07:29 PM
I would have graduated in 1979, but I decided I was too smart for all that book learning:rolleyes: , and left in 1977. I have to admit, I am a bit relieved to hear you didn't live in that neighborhood untill after I had left :tongue: . Now I don't have to worry about you remembering me:eek: .

Rocks:cool:
No problem there. One thing I learned from my own youth and then raising 4 kids(3 boys & 1 daughter); around about 14 years old, there is a something in the brain that switches OFF and does not come back ON until around 20. Everything that happens in between must be ignored. :hammer:

Mark #2
08-08-2005, 07:55 PM
No problem there. One thing I learned from my own youth and then raising 4 kids(3 boys & 1 daughter); around about 14 years old, there is a something in the brain that switches OFF and does not come back ON until around 20. Everything that happens in between must be ignored. :hammer:

I think some of us on this list are still waiting for it to come back on.;)
I'm thinking around 50 or so...but sure that is true either based on those still committed to a certain cartoon and comic strip.;)