PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem

Racingki
08-05-2005, 01:54 AM
Ok, here we go, i have a 99 and i bought the belltech front springs that were only suppose to lower the truck 1" and thier 2" rear shackles (i'm on a budget ok) well put the shackles on piece o' cake, then put the springs on. Well it dropped the front 2" and sat on the front bump stops, so I got new front shocks since i was told f you lower the front that low you would bottom out the stock shocks . the previous owner had "ride rite" helper air bags installed on the truck which feel like they have bump stops inside them too. well here is what I'm at now and my problem. I shaved the front bump stops down and now have about 1" clearance with them (probably gonna take a little more out), have about 2" clearanse from what feels like the bump stops inside the air bags, and haven't look at the rear end bump stops to see how much clearance i have back there yet. Well it doesn't ride bad except for big bumps are kinda rough. and i got out of my truck today and happened to see that on my passenger side where the bed of the truck comes along the cab of the truck on the top corner it has actually hit each other and scuffed the truck's paint. Now I can tell the bed has shifted. the driver side clearance I can place almost two fingers between the bed and cab. the passenger side i can't even start to get two fingers between them. Anyone have any ideas. Do I need different rear struts? could they be bottoming out? could my frame be bent? thanks

PoorSvtman
08-05-2005, 08:22 AM
the bed hitting the cab is one of those things some trucks do. Mine has done it a few times somewho. I remeber seeing posts on other boards about it.

As for your bump stops get some of the energy suspension bumpstops. The smallest ones. I can get my friend to get them that works at pepboys. Autozone dosent carry the small ones. I used these and im lower than you and have good clearence.

Also what kind of shocks did you get. Drop shocks tend to be real bouncy and will bottom out on big bumps. I have a set of toxic drop shocks for a 2inch drop laying around. Ill let you have them cheap. They rode good for me just i like a firmer ride than what they gave me.

Tex Arcana
08-05-2005, 11:21 PM
If the bed gaps are that far off, it's possible the frame has bent or is sagging. Was the truck ever involved in an accident? Or did you hit a bump or dip really, really hard? If you were riding on the stops and hit hard, it's possible to bend things with the shock (tho I find it hard to believe that the frame would bend before the control arm--unless the bed was overloaded).

Racingki
08-06-2005, 01:49 AM
the truckhas never been in a wreck, but i di measure the gap between the rear bumper and the bed step endge and it is off just like the front, i think the whole bed is a little cock-eyed. is there anywhat to loosen the mounting bolts and re-adjust it?

Racingki
08-06-2005, 01:50 AM
I put on the Belltech nitro active, they are retty decent and ride just like the stock let up did

dboat
08-06-2005, 04:19 AM
i think the whole bed is a little cock-eyed. is there anywhat to loosen the mounting bolts and re-adjust it?

I have heard a few talking about this. My bed isnt perfect but it isnt off enough to do this.. but you might need to do a bed adjustment, and that needing to do it isnt all that uncommon...

I cant speak to how hard it is, maybe some else here has done it.
Dana

Lyfisin
08-06-2005, 06:33 AM
My bed has always been off a small amount. I noticed it when I washed it by hand and realized I could get my hand in further between the cab and the bed on one side.

I asked if anyone knew what it took then, and didn't get a response. Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light here.

I think I remember someone asking at f150online.com and it was a lot more difficult than I would have guessed. You might try and do a search over there as well.

PoorSvtman
08-06-2005, 09:54 AM
There are bolts that are inside the bed. There should be a few of them. Loosen them and adjust it.Shouldnt be to hard to do.

My bed has moved a little bit and i have a spray in bedliner and they covered the bolts up. I dont feel like tearing up my spray in just to move it a small amount.