PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to beat a 03/04 Cobra???

SLVBOLT04
08-06-2005, 01:24 AM
My friend just got a 03 silver cobra like today. We haven't raced yet, but i just wanna know how bad he will spank me!!! Only mods for me is a Mac CAI and a Bassani BX Catback. His Cobra is all stock.

-johnny

Avalanche
08-06-2005, 10:18 AM
This is a trick question.
What does he have a stick or a auto?
How far are you racing?
Are you racing on the street or strip?
How good of a driver are you/him?
There are alot of variables that will come into play.

Everything being even in a 1/4 mile the cobra will beat you by about .5 or 1 second just for the power to weight ratio.

02BOLT
08-06-2005, 12:10 PM
How far are you racing?

Everything being even in a 1/4 mile the cobra will beat you by about .5 or 1 second just for the power to weight ratio.

Nothing trick about it. First of all, '03 Cobras only come with sticks(6spd). Most people only run around a 1/4 mile, or through the top of 3rd gear(auto), 4th gear(stick), when running on the street or highway(roll ons).

Now, as far as this particular situation, with no more than an air intake, and cat-back, your L is pretty much stock also. If you run him from a dig, you should hook pretty well and get out on him, but if he knows how to drive, once he gets hooked up, he's gonna pull you pretty hard on the big end.

From a roll, if he doesn't miss a shift, he should pull you pretty much from the "get-go". You'll need at least a tune and 4lb lower pulley to make it any where near interesting.

These trucks are awesome in their own right, but they're fighting an uphill battle due to their weight, and aerodynamics. You can make 'em run their asses off, but you'll have to drop a little coin, and get hooked up with a good tuner like Terry at Performance Research. Check out his forum on this site. He'll get you pointed in the right direction. DO NOT, let me repeat, DO NOT LET JUST ANY TOM, DICK, OR HARRY TUNE ON YOUR TRUCK, or you'll end up with a truck that either doesn't run right or gets hurt. Just my .02 Goodluck and have fun!http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

diablolightning
08-06-2005, 05:46 PM
race from a dig launch @1200rpm and roll into the gas kinda quick, and @ the sixty ft turn on your hazards and hit the brakes you are a winner!:nana2

or do the first part but don't go past 90 or 100 cuz thats the big end and they are big end like no other mofo.:nono:
as long as he is stock you should win from a dig or do a 20 punch.:tu:
my .02
miguel

WA 2 FST
08-07-2005, 01:38 PM
It's pretty easy to consistently beat a stocker with the following mods:

4lb chip, CAI, SCT/Diablo/etc tune. These are the mods I have (plus a Magnaflow cat-back, but I don't think that does anything for power on my very mildly modded truck). Anyway, most stock Cobra coupes run 13.0 @ 109-110 at the track I race at, and my truck is consistently this quick, if not quicker.

wishihadone
08-08-2005, 06:02 PM
How far are you racing?

Cobra's only come with T56 6 Speeds

QIK KAT
08-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Not hard, i ran a 03 the otherweek @ denton beat em not once but twice. I don't know if his car was stock or not. but i do know the mods i have where enough.:tu:

02BOLT
08-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Not hard, i ran a 03 the otherweek @ denton beat em not once but twice. I don't know if his car was stock or not. but i do know the mods i have where enough.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

At an 1/8 mile dragstrip, a stock L stands a really good chance against a stock '03 Cobra because a stock L should hook and go, while the Cobra driver will have to work a little more to get out of the hole. By the time the Cobra gets going, he'll have to play catch-up, and in an 1/8 mile race, the finish line comes quick! I beat a lot of "fast" cars in the 1/8 mile when my L was stock, but that didn't mean my L was the faster vehicle, just quicker in that setting.

On the street however, it's a whole different ballgame. On the street "quick" only gets you so far, then Horsepower/weight and aerodynamics take over, and in an L, you gotta have some horsepower if you wanna play with the Cobras, Vettes, T/A's, Z/28's and Evo's north of 80 mph. There is no defined "finish line" on the street, and as I said before, once that sucker(Cobra) gets going it's flat going to walk a stock L, especially from a roll-on......unless the Cobra driver is absolutely clueless with a stick.