PDA

View Full Version : Is there finally an answer to the 1 tire fire?

StormShadow
08-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Johnny Lightning says so. For $550 they sell a Detroit Locker True Trac.
The post says you will never have to rebuild it or replace worn clutches. No more one wheel burnouts. Whaddaya think?

http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207858

L8 APEX
08-13-2005, 02:14 AM
Johnny Lightning says so. For $550 they sell a Detroit Locker True Trac.
The post says you will never have to rebuild it or replace worn clutches. No more one wheel burnouts. Whaddaya think?

http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207858
Detriot anything ratchets, pops, and hops like mad. They sound broken all the time. I would buy the HD Eaton like Rocks has. They are about 550 as well. Or rebuild yours for 450.

Tex Arcana
08-18-2005, 05:47 PM
Detriot anything ratchets, pops, and hops like mad. They sound broken all the time. I would buy the HD Eaton like Rocks has. They are about 550 as well. Or rebuild yours for 450.

What about a Torsen/Quaife diff??

WA 2 FST
08-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Detriot anything ratchets, pops, and hops like mad. They sound broken all the time.

I concur. Might as well have a spool in there. Blows for a real street vehicle.

A rebuilt stocker with extra clutches packed in there would work well. I know Pyle Bros. in Baytown will do it. They did an 8.8" for me for my old Mustang and that sucker was perfect for 150 passes on slicks with output over 600rwhp/590rwtq (lighter vehicle, obviously, but also not as strong of a rear diff as the 9.75", either).

Tex Arcana
08-18-2005, 06:27 PM
I concur. Might as well have a spool in there. Blows for a real street vehicle.

So give yerself a nice Ackerman angle... :d

Yeah, it'd still blow, tho. :(

A rebuilt stocker with extra clutches packed in there would work well. I know Pyle Bros. in Baytown will do it. They did an 8.8" for me for my old Mustang and that sucker was perfect for 150 passes on slicks with output over 600rwhp/590rwtq (lighter vehicle, obviously, but also not as strong of a rear diff as the 9.75", either).

GOt this off NLOC:

Supporting Vendor

NLOC #: 433
New Detroit Truetrac Available!

The Detroit TrueTrac Is now available! We @ JLP Got the 1st unit to test last year.I'm glad to report the unit has worked flawless! We ran our best last year 9.8 @ 134 with a 1.41 60ft! we then put the unit in our HD truck and set a NEW Record 10.9@125 with a 1.5 60ft!..My wife drives the truck every day. there has been no problems at all!...We will NEVER have to rebuild the unit or replace worn out clutches again! No More 1 wheel burn outs! ..Your 60 fts! will be on the money EVERYTIME...We @ JLP have 15 units ready for sale..for only $550.00..If interested give us a call 717 786 4670..thank you JL

New Lightning/H Davidson 9.75"
Detroit Truetrac
Applications
Now Available!

The Detroit Truetrac performs like an open differential under normal driving conditions and automatically transfers torque to the wheel with better traction when ground conditions call for it. Because of the proven helical gear design, maintenance is not required as there are no clutches, cones or friction plates to wear out and no friction modifier to add.

Whether you?re cruising on the street, competing at the strip, or driving to work the Detroit Truetrac is the performance choice limited slip differential.

JLightningRacing@cs.com
johnnylightning web page

This is significantly different from what Terry's talking about: a Torsen, by any other name, is still a Torsen. And with a 6:1 torque transfer ratio (iirc), it'll be as good as a locker in damn near all street apps and some track apps as well. :tu: