PDA

View Full Version : too hot to wash my truck

Tatom Mack
08-27-2005, 11:04 AM
does that place on 380 do a good job?

tliss
08-27-2005, 11:30 AM
My wife has taken the other vehicles there and they did a good job. Just watch them and make sure they don't scrape your wheels on that rail for the wash they have. I still don't trust any car wash monkey with my truck.

Tom

StormShadow
08-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Bah. I washed mine this morning. Dry it in the garage so you don't get water spots.

Wht95Lightning
08-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Washed mine this morning. Looked like a contest to see who got wetter, me or the truck. It's HOT!

True Blue Aggie
08-27-2005, 11:40 AM
Just finished washing my....lost 10 pounds. Its kinda hot out there......:throw:

Showtime
08-27-2005, 11:41 AM

SILVER2000SVT
08-27-2005, 11:44 AM
just finished waxing mine, I left it in the garage after I cleaned it and let it get airconditioned over night so it was nice and cool to finish the waxing, I think it was around 78F in there...:D

Silver_2000
08-27-2005, 11:55 AM
just finished waxing mine, I left it in the garage after I cleaned it and let it get airconditioned over night so it was nice and cool to finish the waxing, I think it was around 78F in there...:D

You suck

Tatom Mack
08-27-2005, 12:03 PM

my garage is full so thats not going to happen

PoorSvtman
08-27-2005, 12:53 PM
im to busy to even wash and wax mine.. I could care less at this point. Its so hott... im just now taking a break from the install on my friends truck. We have been at it all night and all morning. I just wiped my truck down with some quick detail and wiped the rims down. Not like the camara is going to be right on my truck.

Besides it got scratches all over it somehow and need to buff he heck out of it.

Tex Arcana
08-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Jason, the one at 380 and 75 is decent, reasonably priced, and they let you dfrive it thru the wash now, so no worries about some "car wash monkey" messing it up. I've never scraped my rims on the rails, but then again I've got stock wheels and the Nitto 555's. They were supposed to put in an air comressor to blow the water out of the crevices, but they haven't done it yet. Beyond that, they do a pretty decent job.

As for the other carwash out here, on 75 down arouns White or Virginia (I can't remember which): I don't know, haven't taken any of our cars there yet. I might try it with the wife's Mountaineer, and see how well the do.

Otherwise, do as me and SonicBlueSVT (Tolbert) did: wash in the sun, in small sections, then pull into the garage to do the rest. As long as you're mostly wet when you pull in, and dry it off with towels, you'll be fine. And a nice fan helps. :tu:

If you ever want to do a "detailing day" over here, holler at me and we'll do it.

Tex Arcana
08-28-2005, 12:43 PM

Gimme some details on your garage setup: what sort of A/C are you using; how do you have your doors sealed; is the garage insulated; etc., etc.?? Inquiring minds want to know... ;)

SILVER2000SVT
08-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Gimme some details on your garage setup: what sort of A/C are you using; how do you have your doors sealed; is the garage insulated; etc., etc.?? Inquiring minds want to know... ;)

Its finished in from the builder 20 years ago with textured walls and everything. The previous owner of the house had the air conditioned replaced right before I moved in 5 years ago. So I have a 5 ton High effeciency Trane unit for my little 1800 sqft house when all I need is a 3 ton, They were planning on making a room out of the garage. The garage has two doors (other than garage door) that open into the house one in the front and one on the side, so I just open those doors and let it circulate through. If I'm in a hurry I just put a couple of box fans in the door ways and it will cool even faster. I'm thinking of adding ducts to the garage with a manual damper to open and close them when I want to cool it so I don't have to drag out the box fans. If its not too hot I also have a two full length windows in the garage that I'll just open the garage door and put box fans in the windows instead of using the house AC.

Tex Arcana
08-29-2005, 10:29 PM
Its finished in from the builder 20 years ago with textured walls and everything. The previous owner of the house had the air conditioned replaced right before I moved in 5 years ago. So I have a 5 ton High effeciency Trane unit for my little 1800 sqft house when all I need is a 3 ton, They were planning on making a room out of the garage. The garage has two doors (other than garage door) that open into the house one in the front and one on the side, so I just open those doors and let it circulate through. If I'm in a hurry I just put a couple of box fans in the door ways and it will cool even faster. I'm thinking of adding ducts to the garage with a manual damper to open and close them when I want to cool it so I don't have to drag out the box fans. If its not too hot I also have a two full length windows in the garage that I'll just open the garage door and put box fans in the windows instead of using the house AC.

So chances are the garage is insulated as well. Mine here in McKinney has ducts to the garage (but no returns), but the walls and ceiling aren't insulated, and neither are the two garage doors. I've got 4 windows, and a single outside door, as well. I'm trying to decide if I need to shut off the vents, or insulate the hell out of it, and open 'em up, and the real problem is the garage doors themselves, as they don't seal real well.

dboat
08-30-2005, 05:24 PM
So chances are the garage is insulated as well. Mine here in McKinney has ducts to the garage (but no returns), but the walls and ceiling aren't insulated, and neither are the two garage doors. I've got 4 windows, and a single outside door, as well. I'm trying to decide if I need to shut off the vents, or insulate the hell out of it, and open 'em up, and the real problem is the garage doors themselves, as they don't seal real well.

metal or wood doors?

Tex Arcana
08-30-2005, 05:57 PM
metal or wood doors?
Metal overhead doors, uninsulated. I'm toying with going to wooden barn-style doors, but have to figure out how to do a garage door opener with that.

dboat
08-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Metal overhead doors, uninsulated. I'm toying with going to wooden barn-style doors, but have to figure out how to do a garage door opener with that.

These are relatively easy to insulate.. I would insulate the rest of the garage and then put in some window unit ac units.. they are inexpensive and you only run them when you need them.. to try to use the house unit wont work that well.. been there and done that.. the reason is that you need the air in the house and the garage can get a lot hotter.. I have a separate heater for my garage, I dont need ac up here.. but it works great that way.. you can weather strip the garage doors too, mine are..

just food for thought.

Tex Arcana
08-30-2005, 11:42 PM
These are relatively easy to insulate.. I would insulate the rest of the garage and then put in some window unit ac units.. they are inexpensive and you only run them when you need them.. to try to use the house unit wont work that well.. been there and done that.. the reason is that you need the air in the house and the garage can get a lot hotter.. I have a separate heater for my garage, I dont need ac up here.. but it works great that way.. you can weather strip the garage doors too, mine are..

just food for thought.
Good food for thought... the windows are shot, and need replacing, but the ideas are good; tho, it's a thought to install a return in there, a set of automatic duct shutoffs (there's two ducts run to the garage now, and no return) that shut the ducts when the big garage doors open, that way the house unit isn't wasting anything while they're open.

Hey, Rocks, what's your two cents on this?? ;)