PDA

View Full Version : This is what you need for a plug change

J.D. Blackwell
09-23-2002, 07:07 PM
Shawn from JDM changed my plugs this weekend and did it in 30 minutes!!!!! Yes, 30 minutes!!!

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/878-1135-31919.jpg

The short extention w/ socket from the second to the right is not needed. It was found on my wiper cowl while that was done. I gave that to Shawn courtesy of Bankston Ford.
I believe Shawn only took off a couple things when he did the plug change. The boot and MAF and one of the hoses that was connected to the bottom side of the boot was removed for the driver side plugs to be reached easier. I believe that was the only things that he took off. I think he moved something else to the side, I would just have to go look under the hood again to see what it was exactly.
To remove the coil packs, Shawn used an 1/4" drive extention 18" long with a 7mm whobble socket and ratchet. He used the magnet on the right to put the bolts back in the coil packs when he was installing them back in.
He used a 3/8" drive extention about 24" long, a very deep 5/8" socket connected to a whobble joint, and a ratchet to get the plugs out. Shawn made it look so easy it was fricking unbelievable.
Just thought this post would be very useful to you guys. It has for me.

TxBolt
09-23-2002, 07:37 PM
Did you put Denso's in? The real Question is running alright? Where's them boy's that messed your motor up? Let me at-um!!:hammer:

Flats Man
09-24-2002, 07:54 AM
Justin, Give us the story on your motor. It really sounded cool on Doug's Mpeg. What was the lift and duration on your cams again?

J.D. Blackwell
09-24-2002, 08:21 AM
The man that did all of my head work and cams was there. I went to ask him what the specs were and they were different from what I said before. The specs are 234/234 duration 550/550 lift 114 lobe. It really sounds better in person, all though the mpeg sounded pretty good.

I will update everyone on my motor soon. I am fixing to call Bankston to see what they say. The drivetrain will NEED to be taking apart. Jim thinks it ate a plug on our test drive on the highway. Possible leak around the intake plus I still can't find the metal to metal sound that it has been making since I picked it up. Possibly from the 2 bolts that are missing from the top of the tranny housing.

Flats Man
09-24-2002, 08:55 AM
Thanks Justin, I can't remember if I told you about the cams I bought for your heads. I bought Mod Max with intake of 220/.525 and exhaust of 230/.575. They are blower/ nitrous cams so I hope they do the job. The exhaust lift is pretty high but they (Mod Max) worked with Fox Lake on these specs and they call this cam the Street/Strip blower cam. It is all I could get away with because I only have a 2400 stall torque converter. Good luck to you. Don't get discouraged! You are going to have one bad ass truck before too long!

Mark #2
09-24-2002, 05:34 PM
Justin,
I watch Shawn change plugs three times this past weekend. I wish we filmed him, it would be a great training video.

Agree that the tools are a big clue, I'm sure I can do it it less than 4 hours now.:)

Like the NASCAR boys say it's "Sperience" that counts.

Mark

Badcarma
09-24-2002, 05:54 PM
It was good meeting ya at the show. Though I didn't here the truck run, I'm sure your gonna have one bad puppy! Thank's for the tip's on the plug swap.:tu:

Scott

tliss
09-24-2002, 08:03 PM
I started the tool-buying extravaganza! Now if only I could find a Snap-On dealer around here....

Tom

MadMax
09-25-2002, 11:38 PM
30 Minutes :D What local tuna will do a plug change for lets say 60 bux?? :hammer: This equates into 120 bux per hour....not bad pay....

:rolleyes: