PDA

View Full Version : Red or Yellow?

Mark #2
09-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Still got the original battery from 2000, figure it's time to get a new one. Which one Red or Yellow?

TIA,
Mark

WA 2 FST
09-02-2005, 06:32 PM
I have an Optima red one in my Z06. No issues. I researched them, and at least for that particular car, that was the overwhelming choice.

Sixpipes
09-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Red. The yellow one looks too weird. :cool:

LS1 Eater
09-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Go with the red.

Mark #2
09-02-2005, 06:38 PM
Okay on the Red, 12 years in the P-car and it still works, but the yellow is a deeper cycle battery for the electric fans, so wouldn't that be better?
Mark

dboat
09-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Mark,
I just did some research on this and there were some strong opinions out there.. apparently awhile back, the red ones had some issues, but those have been resolved. the yellow is designed a bit more for those that drive infrequently or drain their battery down to nothing on multiple occassions. If you dont do this and drive yours relatively often enough to keep your battery up, then red is for you, otherwise, go with the yellow..

btw, dont worry about the color, you can always do a mod to cover it up. :nana2

hope this helps
Dana

dboat
09-02-2005, 06:56 PM
http://www.lightningrodder.com/content/view/144/1/

take a look at this mod.. looks nice and easy too..

Dana

Mark #2
09-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the inputs.
I'm going Red as this is my trend in choices, the Yellow ones, while fun, never held up very well in the long run.;)

dboat
09-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the inputs.
I'm going Red as this is my trend in choices, the Yellow ones, while fun, never held up very well in the long run.;)

did you check out the link for the bling bling battery holder?

Mark #2
09-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Yes thanks, but I'm not a bling, bling, kind of guy.

TP Derrick D
09-02-2005, 10:54 PM
I'm rolling the deep cycle yellow top in my 'Stang.

StormShadow
09-03-2005, 01:49 AM
Yellow Top here too

L8 APEX
09-03-2005, 02:01 AM
Red has thinner lead wraps for faster higher current discharge ability. Yellow has thicker lead for more frequent run downs and recharges also known as deep cycling.

dboat
09-03-2005, 06:13 AM
Yes thanks, but I'm not a bling, bling, kind of guy.

I understand, but its a nice setup custom made for an Optima as well..

Mark #2
09-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Red has thinner lead wraps for faster higher current discharge ability. Yellow has thicker lead for more frequent run downs and recharges also known as deep cycling.

What would you recommend for my truck?

L8 APEX
09-03-2005, 02:52 PM
I am not an Optima fan since I had one is 98 and it died in two years. Unless you plan on running it down with electric fans a lot I would get the red top. I think they are up to a 6 year warranty now. Normally deep cycles have a shorter warranty.

03LightningRocks
09-03-2005, 06:59 PM
....... but the yellow is a deeper cycle battery for the electric fans, so wouldn't that be better?
Mark

Yep...that was why I went with yellow. The more you use the electric fans at the track...the more it matters. But my L is set up more for racing than cruising the strip. I am to darned old to cruise the strip...:D .

03LightningRocks
09-03-2005, 07:05 PM
I read a few posts on how long the yellow lasts. Two years and 8 gabillion discharges and recharges here. The red would have sh!t and run by now if I had done it the same way.

If you don't do alot of track activity(meaning two or three trips per year), it probably doesn't matter much anyway...hell...the stock battery is good enough. A walley world battery will work for most guys with L's. But if you plan to get serious about hitting the track...you need a yellow top.

Notice that the "big Boys" around here use Yellow top.....:evil

Mark #2
09-03-2005, 08:00 PM
I read a few posts on how long the yellow lasts. Two years and 8 gabillion discharges and recharges here. The red would have sh!t and run by now if I had done it the same way.

If you don't do alot of track activity(meaning two or three trips per year), it probably doesn't matter much anyway...hell...the stock battery is good enough. A walley world battery will work for most guys with L's. But if you plan to get serious about hitting the track...you need a yellow top.

Notice that the "big Boys" around here use Yellow top.....:evil

I guess I'm only almost a "big boy" then. So adding a Yellow battery does it :confused:

gbgary
09-03-2005, 09:15 PM
thanks, but I'm not a bling bling kind of guy.

i am...kinda. anyone have a phone number for sprayitracing? the link doesn't work.

dboat
09-04-2005, 05:09 AM
i am...kinda. anyone have a phone number for sprayitracing? the link doesn't work.

try 1.800.555.1212.. see if they have an 800 number... or post up and see if someone has it over on lightningrodder.com.. if they do, post it back up here.

03LightningRocks
09-04-2005, 10:24 AM
I guess I'm only almost a "big boy" then. So adding a Yellow battery does it :confused:

Yep....that is what the rest of us big boys where waitng on. After you get your Yellow Top....your in:d .

Seriously though.....the real determining factor is how much discharge/recharge time you plan to put on it. If you are planning to hit the track maybe 3 or 4 times a year, I don't think it will matter what kind of battery you have. The red top seems popular with the audiophiles...I have no idea why...maybe one of them can chime in.

My lost days of tournament fishing taught me to use deep cycle for constant discharge/recharge conditions. Nothing sucked more than a dead trolling motor;) .

Rocks:beer:

gbgary
09-04-2005, 10:25 PM
see if someone has it over on lightningrodder.com.. if they do, post it back up here.

954) 701-0523

ordered it. will have it on thursday, $125 shipped. they're in miami.

dboat
09-05-2005, 08:10 AM
954) 701-0523

How did you find them? just curious..

funny, when I first thought about your post, I was thinking this was for the Optima battery, not the battery holder.. then I was thinking, cant you get them local for cheaper than that? but then the light went off..

post up pics of your install too if you can.

Dana

gbgary
09-05-2005, 10:04 AM
How did you find them? just curious..
post up pics of your install too if you can.

Dana

posted the question on svtperformance.com and someone had it. :tu: sure thing on posting pics.

Sixpipes
09-05-2005, 10:06 AM
I would have never thought a thread that just simply asked, "Which one Red or Yellow?" would have lasted this long. :rolleyes:

gbgary
09-05-2005, 10:10 AM
I would have never thought a thread that just simply asked what color battery, red or yellow, would have lasted this long. :rolleyes:

it's evolved. it's much more than that now!! battery cables are next. :D

Silver_2000
09-05-2005, 10:42 AM
954) 701-0523

$125 for a battery holder... WOW :eek:

I spent less than that on the Battery. And to think that Ford invested like 0.10 in the plastic wedge and bolt to hold thiers down....

Doug

dboat
09-05-2005, 10:45 AM
$125 for a battery holder... WOW :eek:

I spent less than that on the Battery. And to think that Ford invested like 0.10 in the plastic wedge and bolt to hold thiers down....

Doug

Thats what makes America great!! who would have thought 30 yrs ago that some kids in a garage playing with computers would create a multibillion dollar business and create an everlasting change in our society?

Dana

03LightningRocks
09-05-2005, 11:07 AM
I hate to admit it, but I dropped over a hundred on my billet battery holder. I was just fine with my free piece of wood, but the fine brothers of Talon shamed me into spending my hard earned money on bling.

Rocks;)

dboat
09-05-2005, 11:55 AM
I hate to admit it, but I dropped over a hundred on my billet battery holder. I was just fine with my free piece of wood, but the fine brothers of Talon shamed me into spending my hard earned money on bling.

Rocks;)

Thats it Rocks.. blame it on us... :nono: ....

Dana :evil

gbgary
09-05-2005, 12:35 PM
I hate to admit it, but I dropped over a hundred on my billet battery holder.

yeah i know :o but hey, it included two-day shipping so it was under $100 (a tank of gas :( ).

03LightningRocks
09-05-2005, 12:42 PM
I purchased my holder from this guy. At one time i emailed him asking what kind of group deal he would give. He offered to sell me 10 at 85 each. I was afraid I could not get rid of all of them, so I blew it off.

I can't remember exactly what I paid, I know it was right at 100 bucks, but I have seen the bidding on these go as high as 150. I just waited fro the next one to be posted. He reposts one every week or twoif I am remembering right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Billet-Optima-Battery-Tray-Box-Bracket-Hold-Down_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33575QQitemZ799696 0721QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

dboat
09-05-2005, 02:58 PM
I purchased my holder from this guy. At one time i emailed him asking what kind of group deal he would give. He offered to sell me 10 at 85 each. I was afraid I could not get rid of all of them, so I blew it off.

I can't remember exactly what I paid, I know it was right at 100 bucks, but I have seen the bidding on these go as high as 150. I just waited fro the next one to be posted. He reposts one every week or twoif I am remembering right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Billet-Optima-Battery-Tray-Box-Bracket-Hold-Down_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33575QQitemZ799696 0721QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

how hard was the install?

03LightningRocks
09-05-2005, 03:24 PM
It was a snap.....I got Terry to do it for me while he was doing other things to my truck:cool: .

It came with four holes already tapped in the bottom for mounting. Really didn't look like a big deal though. It is a real quality piece...IMHO.

:tu:

True Blue Aggie
09-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Where do you purchase a Yellow top Optima (also what is the model number)?

Mark #2
09-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Go to O'Reillys on Arapaho they have them for $159, went there yesterday. I haven't bought one yet though. Still trying to decide Red or Yellow.
Mark

03LightningRocks
09-05-2005, 04:50 PM

When I bought mine, Ebay had the best deal. I don't remember the model number....just type in Yellow Top Optima.

03LightningRocks
09-05-2005, 04:56 PM
I bought mine from this seller. He isn't listing any yellow tops right now, but If you email him he will hook ya up.

89 plus 30 shipping is alot less than 159 plus tax.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/34-78-Red-Top-Optima-Battery-Batteries-Brand-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33574QQitemZ7997145 351QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

True Blue Aggie
09-05-2005, 05:03 PM
http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7726&highlight=optima

I thought I had asked this question before....

03LightningRocks
09-05-2005, 05:04 PM
I found this on the optima sight. I mentioned in a earlier post about the audio guys. I stand corrected. According to optima...yellow holds peak power longer as it discharges and they recommend the Yellow Top for audiophiles. The red seems displaced. I have no idea why anyone would buy the red top over the yellow top.

Dual Purpose (Starting and Deep Cycle) Batteries for Professional Use

OPTIMA YellowTop is made to install and forget. No matter the conditions, be it dampness, heat, dirt or exposure to extremes in vibration or regular discharge, you can count on OPTIMA to deliver uninterrupted power. OPTIMA's ability to hold a higher voltage during the discharge cycle makes it possible to utilize more of the stored power in the OPTIMA compared to ordinary batteries. The YellowTop handles many discharges as well as re-charges without losing significant capacity. OPTIMA is also ideal for seasonal use because of its very low self-discharge rate. That means you can store your seasonal vehicles all winter without regular charging and still spring out of the starting block when winter is over.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive/deep_cycle.html

gbgary
09-05-2005, 05:21 PM
I have no idea why anyone would buy the red top over the yellow top.

depends on what you want.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive/starter.html

Mark #2
09-05-2005, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=03LightningRocks]I have no idea why anyone would buy the red top over the yellow top.

Red looks better to me.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive/starter.RowPar.0005.ContentPar.0001.ColumnPar.0001 .Image.0.0.gif

03LightningRocks
09-05-2005, 05:35 PM
LOL................then buy a red one. Like I said before, if your only hitting the track once or twice a year for special occasion, either will work.

I am amazed that you are putting this much thought into buying a battery. It is after all.....just a battery.

03LightningRocks
09-05-2005, 05:46 PM
LOL................then buy a red one. Like I said before, if your only hitting the track once or twice a year for special occasion, either will work.

I am amazed that you are putting this much thought into buying a battery. It is after all.....just a battery.

By the way....I don't know that I would choose red or yellow based on CCA. They both far exceed what is required for our trucks. Extra CCA doesn't do anything for you.

What really matters is the amount of discharge/recharge you will put the battery through. For folks that make alot of use of anything electronic that will be drawing the battery down, it isn't really debatable. The guy that makes the Optima says you should go Yellow Top.

The Red Top seems to be cheaper at most of the online places I have looked, so the red will probably serve you well for the couple times a year you go to the track. But if your planning to spend more days racing this upcomming year...better get the yellow...LOL.

Rocks

Mark #2
09-05-2005, 06:07 PM

Okay I'll start a thread about oil or oil filters then, no wait how about tires, brake pads, lowering kits, transmission fluid, 4lb or 6lb, spark plugs, and the almighty which chip/tuner.:evil

03LightningRocks
09-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Okay I'll start a thread about oil or oil filters then, no wait how about tires, brake pads, lowering kits, transmission fluid, 4lb or 6lb, spark plugs, and the almighty which chip/tuner.:evil

Oh crap.....anything but oil....LOL. Which by the way is Mobile One :evil

Mark #2
09-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Oh crap.....anything but oil....LOL. Which by the way is Mobile One :evil

Okay this thread is now closed according to me.

03LightningRocks
09-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Okay this thread is now closed according to me.

I was thinking it would be funny to have a battery thread holding the longest thread title;) .

dboat
09-05-2005, 06:36 PM
:postwhore

I think you should use motor oil and a battery in your L.. :evil
Dana

Mark #2
09-05-2005, 07:13 PM
I was thinking it would be funny to have a battery thread holding the longest thread title;) .

No...much more important and technical things like driving habits and fuel costs need to be discussed.;)

03LightningRocks
09-05-2005, 07:17 PM
No...much more important and technical things like driving habits and fuel costs need to be discussed.;)

:rll: :rll: :rll: ......so which one are you going with. I don't really think you can go wrong either way. That is the battery I am referring to.

Mark #2
09-05-2005, 07:25 PM
:rll: :rll: :rll: ......so which one are you going with. I don't really think you can go wrong either way. That is the battery I am referring to.

If you can't run with the "Big Dogs" stay on the porch. I guess I'll join the yellow pack.;)

03LightningRocks
09-05-2005, 07:35 PM
If you can't run with the "Big Dogs" stay on the porch. I guess I'll join the yellow pack.;)

:evil Welcome to the club. Your decision should inspire about half a dozen, red optima fan, posts...LOL.

On a serious note...you might want to check with that guy on Ebay. I don't know how the heck he does it, but he seems to be under cutting the crap out of everybody else on prices for Optima.

dboat
09-06-2005, 06:45 PM

Back at battery talk...

Rocks, I am looking at this and wondering if it interferes with the battery post and connections.. seems like a lot of aluminum around there..
Dana

03LightningRocks
09-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Back at battery talk...

Rocks, I am looking at this and wondering if it interferes with the battery post and connections.. seems like a lot of aluminum around there..
Dana

Funny you should ask that. It is real close, but it is OK. You have to be careful if you connect a battery charger to it....:rolleyes: . I have a burn spot on mine that reminds me of my bud Howard everytime I see it...:throw: .

gbgary
09-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Back at battery talk...

wondering if it interferes with the battery post and connections.. seems like a lot of aluminum around there.

this one looks like it has more room plus lets more of the pretty color show. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

http://www.lightningrodder.com/images/stories/e_zine/June05/SprayItRacing_Tray/DSC00268.JPG
http://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/b5/e2/cc_12_s.JPG

StormShadow
09-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Here is a link to a few more different battery holders.

http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/catalog.asp?CategoryID=6&CategoryName=Battery%2F+Boxes%2FCharger :tu:

03LightningRocks
09-06-2005, 09:57 PM
this one looks like it has more room plus lets more of the pretty color show. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

http://www.lightningrodder.com/images/stories/e_zine/June05/SprayItRacing_Tray/DSC00268.JPG
http://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/b5/e2/cc_12_s.JPG

The second picture is the one i havefrom an Ebay seller. That first one looks like it might be more forgiving of the connections.