PDA

View Full Version : Gas Mileage & Trip to Mississippi

SILVER2000SVT
09-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Just thought I would share...I took a trip to visit my grandparents in Mississippi (not the hard hit part) this weekend and to do badly needed some repairs on their house.

I drove the Lightning loaded with my girlfriend, 75 lbs golden retriever and a full payload of tools, extra gas, and anything I thought I might need. I still managed to get 18 MPG out of the trip. I felt that was pretty good considering the 4 or 5 in-town WOT sprints to allieviate some traffic frustrations in LA.

WA 2 FST
09-06-2005, 01:26 PM
I think that is amazing, quite frankly. Good for you!

SILVER2000SVT
09-06-2005, 01:37 PM
I was amazed too, That's the reason I posted. On my way over there I kept the cruise at 80mph or so and got a little over 17mpg, I wanted to see If I could do better on the way back so I dropped it back to about 76mph or so and that's how I got the 18mpg, (it was just under 18).

The best I ever got when the truck was stock on that same trip was right around 16mpg.

TP Derrick D
09-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Just thought I would share...I took a trip to visit my grandparents in Mississippi (not the hard hit part) this weekend and to do badly needed some repairs on their house.

I drove the Lightning loaded with my girlfriend, 75 lbs golden retriever and a full payload of tools, extra gas, and anything I thought I might need. I still managed to get 18 MPG out of the trip. I felt that was pretty good considering the 4 or 5 in-town WOT sprints to allieviate some traffic frustrations in LA.

I'm seriously thinking of going to Alabama to visit my family members(all OK) just a support visit and see for myself now that the power is back on. See my 83 year old dad and to check on my daughter and grandson in Birmingham.What interstate did you take? I'll be on I-20 all the way.
How was the highways, gas stations ?

SILVER2000SVT
09-06-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm seriously thinking of going to Alabama to visit my family members(all OK) just a support visit and see for myself now that the power is back on. See my 83 year old dad and to check on my daughter and grandson in Birmingham.What interstate did you take? I'll be on I-20 all the way.
How was the highways, gas stations ?

On my trip, I took I20 over to Monroe LA and go NE from there. I was a little worried about gas and stuff myself so I took 10 extra gallons of gas (enough to where I knew I complete the trip), and I also stopped at 200 miles (just a little under 1/2 tank) just so I wouldn't get low. But it really wasn't a problem, there were a few places that were out, but I didn't have any trouble finding any gas. Through MS and AL it might be a little more difficult, but Going across I-20 you should be fine, just don't wait until the last minute to get gas. I think the gas rush has peaked and supplies should be catching back up in the next day or two.

TP Derrick D
09-06-2005, 07:38 PM
On my trip, I took I20 over to Monroe LA and go NE from there. I was a little worried about gas and stuff myself so I took 10 extra gallons of gas (enough to where I knew I complete the trip), and I also stopped at 200 miles (just a little under 1/2 tank) just so I wouldn't get low. But it really wasn't a problem, there were a few places that were out, but I didn't have any trouble finding any gas. Through MS and AL it might be a little more difficult, but Going across I-20 you should be fine, just don't wait until the last minute to get gas. I think the gas rush has peaked and supplies should be catching back up in the next day or two.

Thanks,
That was my plan also, to fill up at or before the Tx/La border(normally Sheveport ,Vicksburg,Ms & Mederian,Ms would be my stops before this unless I have to stop in Tyler,then Monroe becomes a stop) and that should get me all way into La/Ms but fill up @ 1/4-1/2 tank plus carry my 2 lawn mower 2 gallon jugs, thats 4 gal. This trip may be a decision for me to attend Lfest or not but family first before playing in a truck.

BLACKSUNSHINE
09-06-2005, 09:33 PM
:eek: What the hell.....Why am I olny getting 12-13 mpg when I drive like a granny on the freeway.... :confused:

Tex Arcana
09-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Not bad, Jason, especially considering how overboosted you are. I got about tht on my trip back from Amarillo last year, despite the wind, but I figure I coul've gotten better if I could've gone faster'n 70.

I don't want to jinx myself, but I may be headed to LA to work for FEMA doing claims, but I really do NOT want to take the L. :(

Tex Arcana
09-07-2005, 12:27 AM
:eek: What the hell.....Why am I olny getting 12-13 mpg when I drive like a granny on the freeway.... :confused:

Well, you ahve to drive like an OLD granny, not that "little ol' lady from Pasadena"... :d

Maybe it's because you're driving like a granny. Open up a bit, stay out of the boost, but keep closer to your powerband, and see if it helps.

SILVER2000SVT
09-07-2005, 07:04 AM
It's amazing how much the city driving takes off the mileage. I mean real city driving not the metroplex driving which are closer to highway miles when you figure the amount of freeway driving. On my second tank, 200 miles was easy highway miles and only 20 miles was just easy riding around my home town in MS and the mileage went to 14 mpg.

FRDRCING
09-07-2005, 07:41 AM
I am seeing 13 in the city and 16-17 on the hwy..