PDA

View Full Version : pretty sure i just lost 3rd and 4th gear in the tranny

tiffo60
09-09-2005, 12:59 PM
two weeks before lightning fest and I am pretty sure i just lost top 2 gears in the tranny, it runs in first and second but 3rd and 4th it just revs up

BC Lightning
09-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Blown tranny sucks, been there, done that,

My reverse, 1st, 2nd, and overdrive were totally burned up, and third was almost gone, started out in 3rd all the time, what was worse was having to put it in reverse, get out of the truck, and push :hammer:

I feel your pain and they aren't cheap

L8 APEX
09-09-2005, 07:02 PM
We can have it in and out in a week if you decide to rebuild it before L Fest:tu:

BC Lightning
09-09-2005, 10:28 PM
one week........or in three days if you want to stay at the shop till 1:00 a.m. everynight and help Terry like I did. :D

tiffo60
09-12-2005, 08:26 AM
i scan the codes on it this weekend and the code it threw was for a shift selenoid A, and when i am cruising at first start up it will hit the gears, then couple of minutes it just revs up when in them but if you feed it some throttle it feels like it jumps into third for a sec but not until about 4500rpm or more , but i never stay in it in fear of blowing something out. so if its this selenoid how hard is it to replace and how expensive

L8 APEX
09-12-2005, 09:01 AM
The PCM throws thse codes because that is all it knows to do. It can't say interemediate sprag broken etc. When a hard part breaks and it senses it over revving it thinks that gear never engaged so it blames the solenoid. When in reality it is a hard part broken not a solenoid error. The solenoid packs are 300 bucks and 95 to change out.
Drop your pan and see how much metal and parts are in it. If the pan and fluid are nice and clean then it could be an electrical problem.

tiffo60
09-12-2005, 09:07 AM
will do

tiffo60
09-13-2005, 03:30 PM
alright so i am driving to the muffler shop to get the cats put back on and its still not shifting into 3rd or 4th, or it does but just revs up, then i get my cats put back on and all the way back its shifting normal, even did a couple of wot runs and alls well, does this even make sense?

liteitup
09-13-2005, 03:43 PM
did you mess with or move the O2 sensor wires? If they short out(usually on headers) all kinds of weird things will happen

tiffo60
09-13-2005, 03:45 PM
i havent ever jacked with them, but when they were putting the cats back on they had to move around the pipes some(unbolt them from the collectors and back)

tiffo60
09-14-2005, 07:58 AM
i checked it out last night and it was the main wiring harness that runs from the computer to the transmission, it was touching the exhaust manifold, so i guess ford left off a retaining clip when they replaced the motor, anyways i pulled it up and zip tied it off for right now until i can either get another one or take it to ford to get them to replace it