PDA

View Full Version : lightning fest trip question

tiffo60
09-16-2005, 09:04 AM
i was going to by some new tires before the lightning fest trip since my are wore out and i dont really trust them to get me up there and back, but i was deciding between just getting some more f1's or putting the nitto 555r's on the back, how much wear will the nitto's makeing the 1200 mile round trip?

tliss
09-16-2005, 09:13 AM
i was going to by some new tires before the lightning fest trip since my are wore out and i dont really trust them to get me up there and back, but i was deciding between just getting some more f1's or putting the nitto 555r's on the back, how much wear will the nitto's makeing the 1200 mile round trip?

If I recall correctly, you'll get about 7000 miles out of NT555Rs, so a 1200 mile round trip will yield you about 80% of your tire life remaining post trip, not including any racing you want to do on those tires while you are there. Using 20% of your tires in one weekend is a little much for me!! If you are looking for a tire with some bite but don't mind the short life, go for the NT555Rs. If you want something with some decent life, go for the NT555s or F1s. I've had my NT555s on my truck for a few years and have put about 20,000 miles on them and still have more than 1/2-3/4 of the usable wear still in tact. If you want something that's going to last for a long time, go with the Toyos.

It all depends on what you want to get out of your tires.

Tom

tiffo60
09-16-2005, 09:17 AM
i am going for traction but i was just making sure i wasnt going to destroy 500 bucks worth of tires on one trip

tliss
09-16-2005, 09:20 AM
If you are going for traction I'd go for some slicks and change them at the track. That'll spare your street tires.

Tom

tiffo60
09-16-2005, 09:25 AM
true, thats probally the smartest way to go

i might try to find some steel wheels over the next couple of days to put a set of slicks on and call it a day

tiffo60
09-16-2005, 09:31 AM
another thing i was qurious about is, i usually keep my lightning in my parents garage since they have an extra slot, and there drive way is like a half mile long and its gravel, so even if i drive slow like 1 or 2 miles an hour, will the gravel destroy the 555r

tliss
09-16-2005, 09:37 AM
another thing i was qurious about is, i usually keep my lightning in my parents garage since they have an extra slot, and there drive way is like a half mile long and its gravel, so even if i drive slow like 1 or 2 miles an hour, will the gravel destroy the 555r

I really don't know. I wouldn't think it would do too much damage, if any. Just speculating, though.

Tom

tiffo60
09-16-2005, 09:43 AM
well thats good, i didnt know if they were too soft and the gravel would cut them up, but when i take it over there you could walk faster than i drive down the drive way