PDA

View Full Version : Dell DJ: opinions/Ipod comparisons

jeff56
09-29-2005, 03:47 PM
Anyone have one of the Dell DJ's? They have their 30GB model for 239 right now. The Ipod 30GB is 100 bucks more. I've seen the 20GB for 270.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with Dell's. I'm looking to upgrade my 3 or 4 year old player to a true jukebox player.

98Cobra
09-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Crawford had a couple, but he went all gay/Apple and has an iPod now I think. :tongue:

The DJs are nice, IMO. The next version is supposed to integrate XM Radio too.

Logan
09-29-2005, 07:22 PM
I have both. Much prefer the Ipod.

If all you listen to are wmv's, mp3's or wav's, the dj works fine.

My problem is, I like audiobooks on the plane and audible.com doesn't support the Dell dj's. So, I have a 20gb DJ I pretty much don't use.

I ended up buying a 20gb Ipod about a month ago and absolutely love it. There's alot to be said for design. In my opinion, the Ipod is worth the extra pennies.

Silver_2000
09-29-2005, 09:25 PM
I have both. Much prefer the Ipod.

If all you listen to are wmv's, mp3's or wav's, the dj works fine.

My problem is, I like audiobooks on the plane and audible.com doesn't support the Dell dj's. So, I have a 20gb DJ I pretty much don't use.

I ended up buying a 20gb Ipod about a month ago and absolutely love it. There's alot to be said for design. In my opinion, the Ipod is worth the extra pennies.

Wow I was waiting for you to chime in - expecting you to peddle the Dell coolaid ...

I also have an Ipod - Love it
The software is a little screwy but the hardware is great
Doug

L2nv
09-29-2005, 10:17 PM
i love my ipod, i like the way ican plug it into my aftermarket radio and be able to control it, that way i can put it away and no one know it is in there!! Almost all radio's have an attachment so that you can plug your ipod into the head unit!! not sure that any other mp3 device will allow that... therefore, i vote on the ipod!

Mike

jeff56
09-29-2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. Basically, what I've been getting from everyone is that the Ipod is the king. I see the navigation being easier with the click wheel and also the arena for accessories being much greater with the Ipod. Just still trying to decide if it's 100 better.....

Logan
09-30-2005, 06:41 PM
It is.

L8 APEX
09-30-2005, 10:42 PM
Nothing a couple shakedowns won't cover;) .

Tex Arcana
10-02-2005, 12:17 AM
My issue with the iPods is the proprietary software, music formats, and restrictive DRMs. If you want true freedom with your music, get one that will use all the prevailing non-DRM formats--and Windows Media does NOT fit that definition, and will eventually require an internet connection to get permission for wahtever piece of music or video you want to play, and if it can't get said permission, you're screwed.

Silver_2000
10-02-2005, 09:10 AM
My issue with the iPods is the proprietary software, music formats, and restrictive DRMs. If you want true freedom with your music, get one that will use all the prevailing non-DRM formats--and Windows Media does NOT fit that definition, and will eventually require an internet connection to get permission for wahtever piece of music or video you want to play, and if it can't get said permission, you're screwed.
You can store the songs as any format you want - just change it in itunes

There is NO drm for Music from CD

Doug

BC Lightning
10-02-2005, 10:30 AM
I love my 60gb Ipod photo, can store and view pics in color on the Ipod, as well as over 10,000 songs

I have never had a license problem with music I put on my Ipod

jeff56
10-06-2005, 03:11 AM
Well, I broke down and ordered an iPod. Even went all out and bought the 60gb. Unforunately, I'm still sportin Win98SE, so that was just the start. One copy of XP and a new 300GB HD enrt too. :hammer: :D