PDA

View Full Version : Brake rotors

DWSmooth
10-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Has anyone used these rotors? The price is not bad at $240 for the set of 4.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-04-Ford-Lightning-Cross-Drilled-or-Dimpled-Rotors_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQitemZ8004 892061QQrdZ1

tiffo60
10-11-2005, 03:39 PM
sounds cheap, you might get what you pay for

PoorSvtman
10-11-2005, 03:59 PM
sounds cheap, you might get what you pay for

actualy alot of the nloc guys praise on these rotors from rotorpros. Hes a supporting vendor on the harley forums i think. Hes been around for awhile.

IF you go with them just get the dimpled not drilled, less likely to crack.

QDRHRSE
10-11-2005, 04:11 PM
That's not a bad price but figure $50-60 for shipping too.

Alpine
10-11-2005, 05:06 PM
I have seen members that run those rotors on NLOC that have cracked within 10,000 miles, and not small cracks. Maybe just the slotted like Mike said would be better. You never know though, they might have been running them really hard, they might work out for you. I am definately not an expert on brakes, just weight reduction and driving off the end of the track at Ennis.
Jeff.

jcblack
10-11-2005, 05:13 PM
I have seen members that run those rotors on NLOC that have cracked within 10,000 miles, and not small cracks. Maybe just the slotted like Mike said would be better. You never know though, they might have been running them really hard, they might work out for you. I am definately not an expert on brakes, just weight reduction and driving off the end of the track at Ennis.
Jeff.

I can vouch for that.

kirkmears
10-11-2005, 06:13 PM
somewhere in the neighborhood of 9473 miles of usage(+/-20%)

http://kirkmears.com/dnn/Portals/0/Media/front10k.JPG
front

http://kirkmears.com/dnn/Portals/0/Media/rear10k.JPG
rear

i'm also using Hawk HPS pads (http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Hawk&model=HPS+Street+brake+pads)
center section of front rotors always cracks. this tends to happen after a couple thousand miles...exact same thing happened on my 91 civic hatchback (http://www.kirkmears.com/dnn/Portals/0/Media/91hatch.JPG) with the same type of rotors...inexpensive x-drilled rotors.:cool:
i've bought them before & i'll probably buy them again until one breaks (yet to personally see)
i concur on the 'you get what you pay for...' though
i might have opted for the dimpled & slotted if they had them and i've seen'em in action before *

(but you know...they still look cool ):evil

PoorSvtman
10-11-2005, 06:38 PM
i had cross drilled, then a set of slotted and a one off set of dimpled on my 00 civic si, out of all them the cross drilled where the only ones that cracked. but i also autocrossed and ran track brake pads on the street.

02BOLT
10-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Jeff.

beep, beep....:d

Alpine
10-11-2005, 06:58 PM
beep, beep....:d:rll:

Mark #2
10-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Never run drilled rotors on the street. Drilled is for one race only, reference PCA.

03LightningRocks
10-11-2005, 07:48 PM
For the kind of driving most folks here do...stock rotors would work just fine;) . EBC's work well too. It is foolish IMHO to buy cheap ass drilled rotors. Basicly some guy named Clyde, stocks up on a few sets of rotors and set's about drilling the bejesus out of them. Clyde by the way, is the same guy who got busted for pissing in the parking lot at 7-11. Not a very sharp dude...and sure as hell not the dude I want to chance my stopping ability to.

Rocks

L8 APEX
10-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Diddling fancy lines or holes in a stock rotor does not greatly improve performance. Brembo babyknana . Pads that run higher hotter frictions are just going to damage a stock type rotor faster. You have to use stock brakes sparingly.

dboat
10-11-2005, 08:29 PM
For the kind of driving most folks here do...stock rotors would work just fine;) . EBC's work well too. It is foolish IMHO to buy cheap ass drilled rotors. Basicly some guy named Clyde, stocks up on a few sets of rotors and set's about drilling the bejesus out of them. Clyde by the way, is the same guy who got busted for pissing in the parking lot at 7-11. Not a very sharp dude...and sure as hell not the dude I want to chance my stopping ability to.

Rocks

I am a HUGE fan of the EBC's. Saved my bacon from an accident several times. Well worth the money, even for us granny driving types. :tu:

Dana

L8 APEX
10-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Never run drilled rotors on the street. Drilled is for one race only, reference PCA.
That is contrary to Brembos publishings and my experiences. They state drilled is for the street and slotted for the track. They say drilled vents more debris and works better on the street. They say slots are likely to pack up on the street with constant slow use. I cracked my 14" Brembos in HALF on the track, they are on the wall at the shop for all to see. The Brembo rep said they cracked bacuse of thermal shock. He said the drilled rotors cooled down too fast on the track. I changed to the slotted rotors next and they worked much better. He said the slots vent the material under heavy fast use and maintain a more consistent rotor tempurature. Of course I was running brake ducting, sticky rubber and R compound pads. So the forced air was over cooling the drilled rotors. Most lighter apps and 95% of street cars will never see a problem with drilled rotors but the slots are much tougher.

Mark #2
10-11-2005, 08:42 PM
That is contrary to Brembos publishings and my experiences. They state drilled is for the street and slotted for the track. They say drilled vents more debris and works better on the street. They say slots are likely to pack up on the street with constant slow use. I cracked my 14" Brembos in HALF on the track, they are on the wall at the shop for all to see. The Brembo rep said they cracked bacuse of thermal shock. He said the drilled rotors cooled down too fast on the track. I changed to the slotted rotors next and they worked much better. He said the slots vent the material under heavy fast use and maintain a more consistent rotor tempurature. Of course I was running brake ducting, sticky rubber and R compound pads. So the forced air was over cooling the drilled rotors. Most lighter apps and 95% of street cars will never see a problem with drilled rotors but the slots are much tougher.

That's why I said one race only, replace after the thermal shock of track use.

L8 APEX
10-11-2005, 09:04 PM
That's why I said one race only, replace after the thermal shock of track use.
That is not a viable option for most street/track drivers to replace rotors. When I bought my replacement rotors at cost 3 years ago they were $900 a set that would make for an expensive weekend at the track.
We also have a special use in the sheer weights we push around. The Brembo guy kind of scratched his head when I said I was trying to stop a 4800# brick with two front decent rotors and rear crap. No matter what you do they are going to be overworked. A sports car is over a ton lighter and uses the same 14" rotor system. They do make 15" 8 piston systems for the L now:evil . Any takersknana

Mark #2
10-11-2005, 09:10 PM
That is not a viable option for most street/track drivers to replace rotors. When I bought my replacement rotors at cost 3 years ago they were $900 a set that would make for an expensive weekend at the track.
We also have a special use in the sheer weights we push around. The Brembo guy kind of scratched his head when I said I was trying to stop a 4800# brick with two front decent rotors and rear crap. No matter what you do they are going to be overworked. A sports car is over a ton lighter and uses the same 14" rotor system. They do make 15" 8 piston systems for the L now:evil . Any takersknana

That's why I quit racing the 911, I was replacing pads, rotors, clutches, tires etc, every race, not affordable for me, but I did spend my way to 2 local PCA championships.

kirkmears
10-11-2005, 10:51 PM
i wish i could be the same guy who got busted for pissing in the parking lot at 7-11 and go home with an easy quarter million worth of sales on ebay...

1360 (99.8% feedback)
x 225 (est)
------------
$306,000

(i tried to line my decimals up the best i could)
:beer:

03LightningRocks
10-11-2005, 11:11 PM
i wish i could be the same guy who got busted for pissing in the parking lot at 7-11 and go home with an easy quarter million worth of sales on ebay...

1360 (99.8% feedback)
x 225 (est)
------------
$306,000

(i tried to line my decimals up the best i could)
:beer:

Testimony to how many people buy junk from Ebay and pay far more than what it is worth. Not testimony to what will happen when you put his rotors to the test. Cruising around on the street and an occasional pass at the track, really doesn't put much of a test to a rotor. Trust me...stock rotors are far safer than this guys drilled rotors.

Rocks:tu:

PoorSvtman
10-12-2005, 11:51 AM
http://www.nhtoc.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=117

This ebay guy is a SV on the harley forums...