PDA

View Full Version : Lower, Louder and Faster....

Silver_2000
10-14-2005, 06:35 AM
Thanks to the Folks at the WWFB garage, and Terry at Performance Research (http://www.talonclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15) my truck is now lower, louder and faster.

Mark#2, Sixpipes and I installed a Roush kit 2 weeks ago, and Terry installed Headers, and exhaust, pulley and new tune yesterday. Its funny almost no mods till 12,000 miles - now I have 12,200 miles and its done.

Its a LOT more fun to drive BUT I have to be a LOT more careful on Carrollton streets and RR tracks.

Only mods left from the old truck are the electric fan and the single blade throttle body. Terry at PR (http://www.talonclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15) also installed my old Boost guage just for grins - SInce Im still running the stock airbox Im only getting 11 lbs of boost with the 4# pulley - Need to get a new Filter element first then do some experiments...

Doug

PS - Apparently we installed the cam bolts upside down - Oh well - next time I get it aligned Ill have them flip them - but the washers are bent now - dont know if its worth it ...

Flats Man
10-14-2005, 06:48 AM
I haven't seen your new truck at all! I will be out there for about 10 days in November so maybe then! I give up, how do you install cam bolts upside down?

Silver_2000
10-14-2005, 07:36 AM
I haven't seen your new truck at all! I will be out there for about 10 days in November so maybe then! I give up, how do you install cam bolts upside down?

The eccentric is supposed to face up - mine dont ...
Except for the chrome rims the truck looks just like the last one ... LOL
Doug

PoorSvtman
10-14-2005, 11:33 AM
PS - Apparently we installed the cam bolts upside down - Oh well - next time I get it aligned Ill have them flip them - but the washers are bent now - dont know if its worth it ...

Doug, i have some factory ford cam bolts if you need them.

Silver_2000
10-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Doug, i have some factory ford cam bolts if you need them.

I ust got the truck aligned - Next time its due for alignment Ill look into changing the bolts or fixing the ones I have - Thanks for the offer..

Doug

PoorSvtman
10-15-2005, 11:36 AM
I ust got the truck aligned - Next time its due for alignment Ill look into changing the bolts or fixing the ones I have - Thanks for the offer..

Doug

:tu:

Mark #2
10-15-2005, 05:15 PM
The eccentric is supposed to face up - mine dont ...
Except for the chrome rims the truck looks just like the last one ... LOL
Doug

My sources say something different. Search f150online and NLOC. They all say eccentric down. I went up and asked NTB alignment guys too, and they said down.
Mark

PoorSvtman
10-15-2005, 05:23 PM
the bolt should be on the bottom of the cam when installed then adjusted for alignment.

Silver_2000
10-15-2005, 06:08 PM
If you look at the way its mounted if the bolt was down and the eccentric up it would be kept in a small frame that is square

If the eccentric is down it sorta lays there and when you tighten it it bends since the mounting surface is NOT perpendicular to the bolt

You can see the eccentric is bent about 10 degrees on mine.

Doug

Mark #2
10-15-2005, 06:09 PM
the bolt should be on the bottom of the cam when installed then adjusted for alignment.

So you are saying cam up?
Why does it matter when you can rotate the cam through 180 degrees when installed?

Mark #2
10-15-2005, 06:16 PM
If you look at the way its mounted if the bolt was down and the eccentric up it would be kept in a small frame that is square

If the eccentric is down it sorta lays there and when you tighten it it bends since the mounting surface is NOT perpendicular to the bolt

You can see the eccentric is bent about 10 degrees on mine.

Doug

Cam eccentric bent on the nut side or the bolt head side?
I will look at mine, been that way for 5 years but one side did shift after 5 years also. F150 and NLOC both said down, anyone have the Ford disks?

Silver_2000
10-15-2005, 06:18 PM
here is picture of another ford
http://www.federal-mogul.com/fmeconnect/technicalservices/downloads/2059.pdf#search='ford%20cam%20bolt%20install%20ali gnment'

Mark #2
10-15-2005, 06:25 PM
Okay, I have been installing incorrectly then.
Information on websites is incorrect, what a surprise.
Sorry to all those that I have installed incorrectly.
You know as anal as I am I research everything, bad data.

Silver_2000
10-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Im searching the DVD now ... the interface sucks

Found this

Look at part # 2

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/frontenddrawing.jpg

Silver_2000
10-15-2005, 06:29 PM
Conducted small experiment - Im seeing max of 11 lbs of boost. So I replaced the stock air filter - no change - so I pulled the filter element completely - NO change.

Silver_2000
10-15-2005, 06:37 PM
Okay, I have been installing incorrectly then.
Information on websites is incorrect, what a surprise.
Sorry to all those that I have installed incorrectly.

No worries - We did a great install in 4 hours. Its aligned. Next time I need it aligned I might get them swapped - maybe not ... No concerned either way

Doug

Sixpipes
10-15-2005, 06:51 PM

Ya know, I have never personally noticed that, but I guess I will start being more observant. :D

Mark #2
10-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Im searching the DVD now ... the interface sucks

Found this

Look at part # 2

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/frontenddrawing.jpg

Looks like cam up to me.:confused:

Mark #2
10-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Ya know, I have never personally noticed that, but I guess I will start being more observant. :D

I don't think I'm even close to someone you are related to, that's why you didn't notice...desensitized.;)

Regards,
Mr. Torque Wrench aka alot of other things now.