PDA

View Full Version : Trans problem...any advice?

WA 2 FST
10-14-2005, 04:34 PM
I was out trying to find my 10yr old son who had not called home when he was supposed to. Constant up and downshifts around the neighborhood. After getting a bit irritated with another driver, I was doing ~15mph when I stood on the gas. Downshifted for a split second into 1st and then ... nothing. It upshifted or something. Felt like boost dump.

After locating my son, I took the truck for another drive. In "D" I have 3rd gear. If I move the shifter into 1 or 2, I have 2nd gear. When moving the lever from 2 to D, I get a noticeable "clunk". Reverse is fine.

It doesn't sound right in gear, either.

I'm sure I FUBAR'D something. With 12.9k miles on the truck, and very minimal mods, I'm disappointed that there is a trans problem (which I think is pretty severe, given the symptoms). I have intentionally kept the mods mild so as to keep things alive and well.

Guess I'll be taking it in on Monday.

WA 2 FST
10-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Well, I just returned it to stock (pulley and tune). Now it runs even worse. :tongue: I'm going to try and limp it to the dealer early AM tomorrow.

It did throw some codes... 0743, 0755... solenoid B and converter circuit malfunctions. Obviously it just doesn't know that something mechanical has been screwed up.

We'll see...

99WhiteBeast
10-14-2005, 07:09 PM
That sucks Wes. Only advice is to de-mod and take her in:(

WA 2 FST
10-14-2005, 07:31 PM
That sucks Wes. Only advice is to de-mod and take her in:(

Advice taken, and done. The only thing on it is the aftermarket airbox which will not cause a problem with this dealer.

My '99L ran great for many years with basically the same mods. If the stock trans cannot take my type of driving (which is not abusive compared to a lot of enthusiasts I know), then I will have to explore other options. :(

L8 APEX
10-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Sounds like the 5 cent fix to me. Call me tomorrow and I will clue you in but you have to keep it hush hush:evil .

WA 2 FST
10-14-2005, 08:31 PM
I need to call you tonight, Terry. I have a VERY busy day tomorrow and the only chance I have to get the truck in is early in the AM.

Please call me... 972-390-7595. Maybe I just blew a fuse? Nah... too easy.

WA 2 FST
10-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Fixed:D :d

Terry, the magician, nailed it. Guess I wasted 35-40mins taking off my 4# pulley. But, if I look on the positive side... I get to work on my truck again tomorrow. :rll:

Terry... send me a bill. Honestly, with the schedule I have tomorrow (10yr old baseball game, 7yr old softball game, friends coming in from out of town)... you saved me a LOT of hassle. And my Ford tech friends at the dealership would have been laughing at me. Sometimes, I overlook the obvious.:throw:

02BOLT
10-15-2005, 02:40 PM
First of all, I'm glad you found your son.

I just saw this post, and was going to say that something didn't sound right. I threw everything at my stock tranny but the kitchen sink, and it never flinched until I REALLY leaned on it, and even then, I'm not sure it was a problem with tranny, or me just being a little overly precautious.

Glad Terry was able to get you fixed up.:tu:

Mark #2
10-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Fixed:D :d

Terry, the magician, nailed it. Guess I wasted 35-40mins taking off my 4# pulley. But, if I look on the positive side... I get to work on my truck again tomorrow. :rll:

Terry... send me a bill. Honestly, with the schedule I have tomorrow (10yr old baseball game, 7yr old softball game, friends coming in from out of town)... you saved me a LOT of hassle. And my Ford tech friends at the dealership would have been laughing at me. Sometimes, I overlook the obvious.:throw:

Okay so what was the obvious?

BC Lightning
10-15-2005, 09:26 PM
Okay so what was the obvious?

+1

I'd like to know as well

WA 2 FST
10-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Terry...you want to spill the beans on one of your "secrets"?

Actually if you guys look up in my post right after Terry's, that will clue you in. :) Knowledge is power... I should have figured it out myself, but give Terry the credit on this one. His experience told him it was a minor issue.

Mark #2
10-15-2005, 09:54 PM
Terry...you want to spill the beans on one of your "secrets"?

Actually if you guys look up in my post right after Terry's, that will clue you in. :) Knowledge is power... I should have figured it out myself, but give Terry the credit on this one. His experience told him it was a minor issue.

Okay so what fuse and why would anyone blow it?

WA 2 FST
10-15-2005, 10:06 PM
I honestly do not understand why it would blow. :confused: It is fuse 23... HEGO sensors/automatic transmission control.

I guess if I continue to have issues with it, then I will have to take it in.

Terry says he's seen it happen a number of times... I'm sure he can enlighten us all. :)

http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9689

DWSmooth
10-16-2005, 09:46 PM
Sounds like a on-going problem I had. Turned out to be that they didn't intall the trans mount after working on the tranny. It was moving so much the O2 sensor was hitting the frame and shorting out the fuses to the tranny and other items.

Glad Terry was able to help, he is the only one I truely trust to work on these. I had to show the dealer the problem on mine.

David

WA 2 FST
10-16-2005, 09:50 PM
I will get under there and have a look-see. I have never had the trans out on this truck, and can't imagine the O2's grounding out on the frame for any reason (no long-tubes that might relocate the O2s or anything like that).

Thanks for the info, David.

BC Lightning
10-16-2005, 10:20 PM
I honestly do not understand why it would blow. :confused: It is fuse 23... HEGO sensors/automatic transmission control.

Terry says he's seen it happen a number of times... I'm sure he can enlighten us all. :)

have blown that fuse a few times, I blew it before and after my tranny was fried

Beaudee
02-16-2010, 06:30 PM

Where is this fuse located,and does the 2006 5.4 FX4 have this fuse.Any help appreciated thanks.

mikelemoine
02-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Kudos to Terry and glad all worked out with the truck and the 10 year old!:tu:

Silver_2000
02-16-2010, 10:34 PM
thread started in 2005 .....

FYI

L8 APEX
02-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Yep, that 10yr old may be driving said Lightning now...

Silver_2000
02-17-2010, 09:36 AM
good point ...

Beaudee
02-17-2010, 10:04 AM
thread started in 2005 .....

FYI

I searched this thread for a friend @ work remembering about a transmission fuse.I think problem might be a coil pack/vacum leak but its always easiest to check fuses first.

WA 2 FST
02-20-2010, 01:28 PM

LOL... yes, he is! And I think since that time I couldn't find him at 10yrs of age, he's never been late again... hence, one reason he had the option to purchase my L from me.