PDA

View Full Version : need some advice about my motor

sonicblue04
10-21-2005, 08:11 PM
Hello everyone, I am new. I am from Louisiana I hope you all don't get mad but I needed some help. I am curious about how my motor blew. I have a 2.8 upper, 4 lb lower, prediator tuner, heat exchanger, ram air hood with cai, idler puller relocator with 2 100mm pulleys, and a electric fan. I got it dyno tuned and had 400.4 rwhp and 524.6 rwtq. never had any problems with it and last saturday i ran it up to about a 100 and it never over revved and shifted good and all of a sudden it pinged real loud and oil and smoke blew everywhere bf i could shut it off i think my motor locked up. i think it was a weak rod but not sure what do yall think. who can i talk to about a built shortblock that will hold up. Thank you everyone.

jcblack
10-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Hello everyone, I am new. I am from Louisiana I hope you all don't get mad but I needed some help. I am curious about how my motor blew. I have a 2.8 upper, 4 lb lower, prediator tuner, heat exchanger, ram air hood with cai, idler puller relocator with 2 100mm pulleys, and a electric fan. I got it dyno tuned and had 400.4 rwhp and 524.6 rwtq. never had any problems with it and last saturday i ran it up to about a 100 and it never over revved and shifted good and all of a sudden it pinged real loud and oil and smoke blew everywhere bf i could shut it off i think my motor locked up. i think it was a weak rod but not sure what do yall think. who can i talk to about a built shortblock that will hold up. Thank you everyone.

Dont know what happened to the motor. Detonation I guess. Terry is the man to talk to. He is the local professional whwn it comes to Lightnings. He goes by L8Apex on this board. I dont know if you are up to making a trip. He can also come and pick up the truck, for the right price im sure. Hope that you get it all worked out. Im sure that someone else will chime in that can give you more info.

L8 APEX
10-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Lightnings usually blow up over 100mph with aggressive tunes and anything making 400hp and 500tq on essentially pulleys alone is aggressive. It may have leaned from a clogged fuel filter or just had too much timing for the air. You just drove it too hard it is not any defect.

wesman
10-21-2005, 10:37 PM
Me thinks tune.....that's the first place I'd look

--wes

03LightningRocks
10-22-2005, 01:56 AM
Me thinks tune.....that's the first place I'd look

--wes

I would have to agree..........:tu: .

sonicblue04
10-22-2005, 09:28 AM
thank yall for the advice. I called Mr. Terry Tuesday I think it was and already talked to him about a built shortblock. That is what i will probably go with. I thought it might be the tune or weak rod.

Sixpipes
10-22-2005, 09:46 AM
That word Predator keeps showing up in these blown motor threads. I wonder if there is a connection? :cool:

Silver_2000
10-22-2005, 12:16 PM
That word Predator keeps showing up in these blown motor threads. I wonder if there is a connection? :cool:

Its been that way for YEARS - You would think that the bad publicity would at some point come backto haunt them. Must be a price thing that keeps them going...
:rolleyes:
Doug

03LightningRocks
10-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Its been that way for YEARS - You would think that the bad publicity would at some point come backto haunt them. Must be a price thing that keeps them going...
:rolleyes:
Doug

I think part of the problem is that there are just enough folks out there who haven't blown their motors with the predator yet, to keep the pipeline loaded.

Eventually one of them will hop on this thread testifying to the greatness of their decsicion to go predator. It really sucks to have to admit to making a bad buying choice in tuners, so the misguided lead others into the world of discount tuning.

Rocks:Bullshit