PDA

View Full Version : Headers.. Are they worth it?

harbinger225
10-23-2005, 02:10 AM
Has anybody tried "TOG" headers? Are they really worth the price? They look to be good and all, but I just don't know if I can stomach the price.

http://www.performance-exhaust-headers.com/ford/ford-f150-expedition-navigator-540814.html

Also, is the ceramic coating something you guys would recommend?

:confused: :confused:

Silver_2000
10-23-2005, 03:02 AM
Unless you are making a ton of boost its a tough sell for performance

if you like the sound then... well its still expensive

But having said all that I have them ...:evil

dboat
10-23-2005, 05:20 AM
Unless you are making a ton of boost its a tough sell for performance

if you like the sound then... well its still expensive

But having said all that I have them ...:evil

Which brand do you have? Headers would be my next logical step in perf... not that I need them or anything..

Sixpipes
10-23-2005, 06:31 AM
I have had JBA shorties since my truck was 2 months old. People say it doesn't make any difference unless you get longtubes, but I've got to believe they are an improvement over the crap that Ford uses from the factory. :cool:

Silver_2000
10-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Which brand do you have? Headers would be my next logical step in perf... not that I need them or anything..

I have kooks headers from JDM - they were off the old truck - I put them on for 3 reasons

1) I already had them and paid like 1700 for the exhaust for the old truck
2) I like the sound they make
3) I only run a 4 # pulley but headers and high flow cats supposedly reduce boost which should be safer

Doug

BC Lightning
10-23-2005, 10:35 AM
I have kooks headers from JDM - they were off the old truck - I put them on for 3 reasons

1) I already had them and paid like 1700 for the exhaust for the old truck
2) I like the sound they make
3) I only run a 4 # pulley but headers and high flow cats supposedly reduce boost which should be safer

Doug

I too have Kooks headers, JDM X-pipe, high flow cats, and magnaflow mufflers

I did see an increase in power, but saw a decrease of 1#-2# of boost (depending of temp)

02BOLT
10-23-2005, 03:36 PM
I too have Kooks headers, JDM X-pipe, high flow cats, and magnaflow mufflers

I did see an increase in power, but saw a decrease of 1#-2# of boost (depending of temp)

A decrease in boost is not always a bad thing. More boost does not always translate into more HP. Boost is simply the measurement of pressure present in the intake tract. The reason guys claim to see an increase in boost when they install a Cold Air Kit, is because the less restrictive filter allows more air into the motor.

A motor is just an elaborate air pump. The more air you can pack into and out of a motor, the more power it should make.

So, the reason you "lose" boost when you install longtubes is that you've made the exhaust less restrictive, thus enabling the spent gasses to exit the motor more efficiently. Due to the fact that the motor is now able to disperse of the spent gasses more efficiently, there is less air backed up the intake tract, thus less boost. This means you have reduced the cylinder pressure which is a good thing. In spite of the fact there's "less boost", the motor should pick up power.

That being said...on these trucks, my opinion is that the stock manifolds are sufficient up to around 420 RWHP or so. Once you upgrade the blower, or are spinning the blower anything above a 4 psi over stock, then Long Tubes are a good idea due to their ability to reduce cylinder pressure alone. Plus they sound bada$$!!!:tu:

Alpine
10-23-2005, 05:07 PM
If you're gonna go with headers,go with an authentic Long Tube design, as opposed to some half a$$ design like in the link. There are several Lightning vendors(Performance Research, JDM, Johnny Lightning, Lightning Force Perf)that offer nice Long Tube exhausts from the headers to the exhaust tips, including high flow cats. If I'm not mistaken, Terry at Performance Research has a set on the shelf right now. You can check his forum on this sight and ask him. He's always very fair in his pricing. IMO, if you're gonna spend that kind of cash on headers, you may as well get the full meal deal.:tu:

PoorSvtman
10-23-2005, 05:58 PM
I have had JBA shorties since my truck was 2 months old. People say it doesn't make any difference unless you get longtubes, but I've got to believe they are an improvement over the crap that Ford uses from the factory. :cool:

I agree with dennis that shorties are probly better than the stock units, but my truck came with th bassani shortie headers. If my truck didnt have headers and i was looking for some id go with a decent set of long tubes instead of shorties.

Mark #2
10-23-2005, 05:58 PM
If you're gonna go with headers,go with an authentic Long Tube design, as opposed to some half a$$ design like in the link. There are several Lightning vendors(Performance Research, JDM, Johnny Lightning, Lightning Force Perf)that offer nice Long Tube exhausts from the headers to the exhaust tips, including high flow cats. If I'm not mistaken, Terry at Performance Research has a set on the shelf right now. You can check his forum on this sight and ask him. He's always very fair in his pricing. IMO, if you're gonna spend that kind of cash on headers, you may as well get the full meal deal.:tu:

What he said, but Sixpipes truck has always run equal to mine with the shorties and the same boost, so at less than 14 psi boost shorties might be okay.:confused:

harbinger225
10-24-2005, 03:14 AM
So Long tubes are my best bet then? What was that link to get a set? :)

L8 APEX
10-24-2005, 10:03 AM
We only carry Kooks stainless headers. JDM has the rights to them so all sets go through him. The headers only and hardware is 900, or the full system is 1895 I believe. I can get a little better pricing but that is what it is. We fab and install our own cats back and that makes a complete system only $1550 INSTALLED for the same all stainless components.
http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=90

BLACKSUNSHINE
10-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Im running the stanless dynatec long tubes, with no cats. With a 6# pulley im only running about 13lbs of boost. and with that im pushin 420/530 to the wheels with a base diablo tune. With the headers I think is why my motor hasn't went boom, yet I still have plenty of HP. Top end HP defidently increases. Im very happy with my headers.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/lightaccufabcast.htm These are what I have, except no cats.

LS1 Eater
10-24-2005, 01:06 PM
These are the same long tubes i am runnig. If you going to do headers just go wiht long tubes and bee done with it.

Im running the stanless dynatec long tubes, with no cats. With a 6# pulley im only running about 13lbs of boost. and with that im pushin 420/530 to the wheels with a base diablo tune. With the headers I think is why my motor hasn't went boom, yet I still have plenty of HP. Top end HP defidently increases. Im very happy with my headers.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/lightaccufabcast.htm These are what I have, except no cats.

FRDRCING
10-24-2005, 10:37 PM
I went with the kooks because I am running the 6# lower and ported eaton, and want to go with a 2.8 upper next year. I love the sound and quality of the Kooks hands down. My truck is a little quieter at idel then before but when I go WOT it's loud.