PDA

View Full Version : How much do you have "invested" in your L?

dboat
10-30-2005, 07:14 AM
After Rocks called me out on possibly buying a Z06 due to its cost. I thought I would ask you guys, how much you have tied up or spent on your L, excepting gas and regular maintenance.. So add up all your mods, your bling, your tried and failed mods, and if you had someone install them for you, the cost of the install too.. make sure to include the price of your truck.. this would be the price paid for the truck, do not deduct any trade in... then you will see how close you are to having spent almost the price of a new Z06.. rather enlightening.
This will prove to be interesting.

For Terry and Moonshine, go ahead and post what you had in yours before you sold it. For those like Doug, take your current purchase price but add in the original cost of the mods that you recycled back in to your new ride.

Dana

Flats Man
10-30-2005, 07:48 AM
Without doing a lot of "high math," I easily have the cost of a ZO-6 in my 98 F150! That is sick!

99WhiteBeast
10-30-2005, 09:22 AM
There should be some other categories-under 10k, under 5k

StormShadow
10-30-2005, 09:30 AM
This doesnt include the price of the truck right?

dboat
10-30-2005, 09:36 AM
This doesnt include the price of the truck right?

This includes the price of the truck...so you guys that posted low, you may have to redo your vote.. unless you bought an oldie but goodie and havent invested any money in it.. I was thinking that most here are over 30k, with a lot over 40k,, and some of us over 50k.. once the hubbub dies down on the new Z06 and you can get one under sticker.. there wont be that much difference in price and it runs 12's straight from the showroom.. insurance costs are a whole nother matter.

StormShadow
10-30-2005, 09:47 AM
I"m just a little bit over 40k including the price of the truck. (27k brand new)

Silver_2000
10-30-2005, 10:02 AM
This truck is easier than the last one - the last one would make me cry it I added it up

Avalanche
10-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Well I guess Uncle has not voted yet because there is no 50K and over votes in the poll yet!:d

I have about 36K in mine.

BC Lightning
10-30-2005, 11:52 AM
once the hubbub dies down on the new Z06 and you can get one under sticker.. there wont be that much difference in price and it runs 12's straight from the showroom.. insurance costs are a whole nother matter.

With a good driver they have seen 11's in the 1/4 in a new Z06

Bought mine brand new at $27,000. IT's at about $39,000 now

I will be in the over $50,000 before I know it

QDRHRSE
10-30-2005, 12:13 PM
I bought mine dirt cheap a month ago and I'm no-where near done. I think I just crossed the $20k mark and I've had it for a month.

tliss
10-30-2005, 12:22 PM
If you include the price of the truck I'm over $40K in the truck. Can't change my vote.

Tom

03LightningRocks
10-30-2005, 12:28 PM
With a good driver they have seen 11's in the 1/4 in a new Z06

Bought mine brand new at $27,000. IT's at about $39,000 now

I will be in the over $50,000 before I know it

You forgot to add in TT$L.......which puts you closer to 30,000 brand new. If you financed it, add the finance charges back into it too.

I know most folks don't think of it like that, but it is reality, unless you pay cash. But then you have to question your financial planning skills. Paying cash for a new vehicle is a real waste of capitol when you look at all the low and no interest finance options out there.

That being said...now watch this thread take a turn...:evil .

Rocks:beer:

Silver_2000
10-30-2005, 12:55 PM
You forgot to add in TT$L.......which puts you closer to 30,000 brand new. If you financed it, add the finance charges back into it too.

I know most folks don't think of it like that, but it is reality, unless you pay cash. But then you have to question your financial planning skills. Paying cash for a new vehicle is a real waste of capitol when you look at all the low and no interest finance options out there.

That being said...now watch this thread take a turn...:evil .
LOL - So in your mind attemptingto be debt free is a bad financial decision ? LOL :hammer: :hammer: :rll: :rll:

03LightningRocks
10-30-2005, 01:03 PM
LOL - So in your mind attemptingto be debt free is a bad financial decision ? LOL :hammer: :hammer: :rll: :rll:

When you can use someone elses money.....while taking your own money to make more money...YES, THAT(attempting to be debt free) IS NOT SMART!!! Debt free???? Boy is that an illusion...:rll: .

Just remember Doug....you are perfectly safe in any vehicle with it in nuetral. You just aren't going to get anywhere....;) . (analogy purposes only:) ). So I guess it really just depends on what you want out of life. I want it all...:D .

Silver_2000
10-30-2005, 01:11 PM
When you can use someone elses money.....while taking your own money to make more money...YES, THAT(attempting to be debt free) IS NOT SMART!!! Debt free???? Boy is that an illusion...:rll: .

Just remember Doug....you are perfectly safe in any vehicle with it in nuetral. You just aren't going to get anywhere....;) . (analogy purposes only:) ). So I guess it really just depends on what you want out of life. I want it all...:D .
Come on ... Lets talk about how BAD an investment any vehicle is - loses money faster than almost anything you can spend money on. So to add to that loss add financing loss ... Give me a break. :hammer:

Ive already lost enough money on the market thanks ... Im in a place where working on being debt free provides flexibilty. I dont have people working for me, one bad turn and Im screwed, so in preparation for that having manageable payments is the right thing.

I love it when people make the broad assumption that anyone who isnt doing things the way they do its wrong. :mad: :rolleyes:
yep you were right you turned this thread to ****

L8 APEX
10-30-2005, 02:17 PM
I had about $40K in mods and parts and I did all the labor myself and got most things at a discount. Plus sticker for the truck 32,420. about 6 transmissions, 3 engines 1 built two stock, 2 blowers, 2 sets of stock brakes, 2 sets of Brembos, 8 sets of pads, 4 sets of tires, 1 set of race tires, stereo system, bed cover, spray liner, cowl hood, 2 sets of wheels, seat covers, heat exchanger, 3 chips..... and only 3 years 37K miles:rolleyes:.

L8 APEX
10-30-2005, 02:18 PM
This should be $$ in mods only, the price of the truck is irrelevant as some were bought new, used etc..

Moonshine
10-30-2005, 02:30 PM
For Terry and Moonshine, go ahead and post what you had in yours before you sold it.

Done. :tu: I figure mine was one of the cheaper L's out there if you look at cost per mile. :D

Moonshine
10-30-2005, 02:31 PM
I had about $40K in mods and parts and I did all the labor myself and got most things at a discount. Plus sticker for the truck 32,420. about 6 transmissions, 3 engines 1 built two stock, 2 blowers, 2 sets of stock brakes, 2 sets of Brembos, 8 sets of pads, 4 sets of tires, 1 set of race tires, stereo system, bed cover, spray liner, cowl hood, 2 sets of wheels, seat covers, heat exchanger, 3 chips..... and only 3 years 37K miles:rolleyes:.

Holy crap T. :eek: You do not want to figure a cost per mile on that beast. It'd make you sick, even considering all the smiles it gave you.

Sixpipes
10-30-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm a little over $40K considering a purchase price of $31K (sticker including TTL). Haven't spent much the last couple of years. If you are going to consider cost to finance, you may as well include the price of gas and standard cost for maintenance. I figured cost of the vehicle and purchase price of aftermarket accessories. (No tire costs, gas, maintenance or any other accepted cost for vehicle operation).

Cost list:
Vehicle $31K
External cosmetics $3.5K (Hood, emblem removal, Snuglid, grille, paint)
Wheels $3K
Exhaust $1K (Headers through exhaust tips)
Underhood mods $1.5K (TB, intake, cooling fans, chip)
Roush suspension $1.75K (Includes installation)
Stereo/Misc interior $2K

Approximate Total ~ $44K

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/8MVC-261S.JPG

03LightningRocks
10-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Come on ... Lets talk about how BAD an investment any vehicle is - loses money faster than almost anything you can spend money on. So to add to that loss add financing loss ... Give me a break. :hammer:

Ive already lost enough money on the market thanks ... Im in a place where working on being debt free provides flexibilty. I dont have people working for me, one bad turn and Im screwed, so in preparation for that having manageable payments is the right thing.

I love it when people make the broad assumption that anyone who isnt doing things the way they do its wrong. :mad: :rolleyes:
yep you were right you turned this thread to ****

Nobdy is turning the thread to ****. You did exactly what you accused me of doing. You said I was wrong for not doing it your way. This is an opportunity to folks to look at it both ways. Most people don't have 30K to drop on a truck anyway...but for the few who can, it might be a way to make a buck.

You make my point when you say a vehicle is a bad investment. That is all the more reason not to drop 30 grand on it.

Look at it this way...somebody will loan you 30 grand at zero interest for 36 months. You have the money anyway, you could put the money in a basic 2 % savings account and earn 2%. Taking the payment out of that account as it is due. This is a no risk way of making 2% on somebody elses money.

For the brave at heart, even more can be made in stocks or even real estate. It is a way to make your money work for you.

03LightningRocks
10-30-2005, 03:50 PM

Crap Terry...you probably have the record...:eek: . That is some serious coin going into a truck. Just think of how bad it would be if you had to pay someone else labor on top of parts for all that stuff.

I am probably around 60 if I count what the truck cost to begin with.

Rocks

my2002lightning
10-30-2005, 04:27 PM
Hmm...

$28,7xx for the L. new,
$300 for the BedRug,
$376 for the PR Wild exhaust,
$300 for the Red-piped Okoles,
$300~ for the V1,
$100 for the AirRaid,
$80~ in Silverstar bulbs
...and more $6+ quarts of Royal Purple than I care to imagine.:evil

Still runs tip-top!knana

Ronald

WA 2 FST
10-30-2005, 04:36 PM
once the hubbub dies down on the new Z06 and you can get one under sticker.. there wont be that much difference in price and it runs 12's straight from the showroom.. insurance costs are a whole nother matter.

C6 Z06 = 11.7 @ 125mph in showroom stock condition on stock radials.

It's a high-10 second car in _stock_ form with a banzai launch on slicks, if someone is willing to risk it. :)

dboat
10-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Doug, for those that posted early, can you change their vote? such as tliss?

Ronald, you seem awful light on mods..

I have to add mine up, but I may be over 50k...

Dennis, how did you stop the mod bug?

Rocks, I am going to have to take a new Vette for a drive to see how it fits..

Dana

Sixpipes
10-30-2005, 04:56 PM

Dana

Dana

I think you can actually over do apearance mods etc... so I stopped when I was happy with the way my truck looked #1 and really only have a Kenne Bell to finish the performance stuff. Maybe an injector change, but the only major thing is $3K for a KB. I expect my transmission to go sometime before 100K, but I won't count that based on my heavy use of what is essentially a stock transmission. :cool:

03LightningRocks
10-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Snip,,,,

Dana

You might want to leave the Lightning and the check book at home. Otherwise the Lightning may get left behind and your checkbook may get real light...:cool: .

That vette is one nice car....:tu: .

Rocks

Mark #2
10-30-2005, 06:27 PM
I'm a little over $40K considering a purchase price of $31K (sticker including TTL). Haven't spent much the last couple of years. If you are going to consider cost to finance, you may as well include the price of gas and standard cost for maintenance. I figured cost of the vehicle and purchase price of aftermarket accessories. (No tire costs, gas, maintenance or any other accepted cost for vehicle operation).

Cost list:
Vehicle $31K
External cosmetics $3.5K (Hood, emblem removal, Snuglid, grille, paint)
Wheels $3K
Exhaust $1K (Headers through exhaust tips)
Underhood mods $1.5K (TB, intake, cooling fans, chip)
Roush suspension $1.75K (Includes installation)
Stereo/Misc interior $2K

Approximate Total ~ $44K

Not to mention traction bars, converter, gear change, new differential, etc;)

I am at a similar cost without the body, wheel, and stereo changes.

Sixpipes
10-30-2005, 06:40 PM
Not to mention traction bars, converter, gear change, new differential, etc;)

I am at a similar cost without the body, wheel, and stereo changes.

Crap. Add another $2K for all that stuff. The Eaton rear was an overuse replacement so I'm not counting that. That brings me up to $46K. :cool:

Mark #2
10-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Crap. Add another $2K for all that stuff. The Eaton rear was an overuse replacement so I'm not counting that. That brings me up to $46K. :cool:

I working on the overuse replacement engine, so I'm not counting that too;)
Another PB today.
Mark

Silver_2000
10-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Doug, for those that posted early, can you change their vote? such as tliss?

I have to add mine up, but I may be over 50k...

Dana

I changed one for Tliss
I cant change where his name appears - just the totals
Who else has had buyers remorse ? LOL

Mark #2
10-30-2005, 06:53 PM
All the under 20K need to be removed. IMHO.
Mark

my2002lightning
10-30-2005, 06:59 PM
True, but I don't want to worry about if the temp, etc. changes too much or I get-a-hold of a bad tank of 93. I never intended on crazy-mods even as I was buying the L.

Funny you should mention that - I've been told in person by two modded TALON members that I'm probably the smartest of the bunch for it.:D

Ronald

WA 2 FST
10-30-2005, 07:22 PM
I _completely_ understand the purpose behind Dana's post here. I think one thing that many of us who do not have hundreds of thousands of $$ to blow on disposable income have to realize, is that when we start spending lots of "mod money" on any vehicle, we are basically making a long-term "investment" (bad word really) in our automotive fun.

I could not even begin to count up the $$ I spent on my 5.0 Mustang over the 12 yr period of ownership. The old saying that a "hot-rod is never done" comes to mind. We'll never get out of it even close to what we put into it. Oftentimes this is b/c we go through various wear-item parts (trans, clutch, diff, tires/brakes, certainly put the motor in there as well in many cases... and sometimes we go through these things 2-3x). We also will always be able to look back and say, "If I hadn't spent XX, XXX then I could have bought such-and-such instead." But remember... one vehicle was purchased and modded, and usually it was the best vehicle we could afford/wanted at the present time. Once you fast forward a few years, there is typically something "new and improved" out there that catches our fancy, and that's where one might lament spending lots of $$ on the original vehicle.

Heck, I can even look at my current '02 Z06 that I bought new nearly 4 years ago. I've put some $$ into it on top of the $44k I paid for it. The LPE Stage 2 twin-turbo setup is not cheap. I could have saved all that and bought a C6 Z06. But I would not have had all the fun I've had in the car for the past 4 years. :) However, what my spending has done is basically force me (not a bad thing) to keep the car. It's not like someone is twisting my arm ;), but I couldn't sell it and buy anything that performs remotely close to it for near the $$ I'd get on the sale.

People who buy vehicles, spend lots of extra $$ on them, and then sell them shortly thereafter will always lose big $$. If they can afford it (I can't), then go for it.

I think the value in considering Dana's premise is in whether or not you choose to drop a buttload of $$ on a given vehicle you own... when there is/may be something out there you may be interested in within the foreseeable future. If you don't think you'll own the vehicle very long b/c your financial situation may afford you the ability to buy something better in the near future, then don't spend $$ in mods. Once you've spent the $$ on mods, just enjoy the vehicle for what you've put into it!

I consider myself very light on mods compared to most L enthusiasts. Then again, it is often my daily driver and I'm nervous about blowing it up. Pulley, shift kit, SCT, cat-back exhaust, Roush suspension, and a heat exchanger. That's it for performance. My biggest expense was the HRE wheels in the looks department.

Mark #2
10-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Wes,
Well written, good post, and I agree 100%.
I have had the L for 5+ years and have enjoyed the people and the truck.
Mark

Moonshine
10-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Wes,
Well written, good post, and I agree 100%.

Ditto, and I might add, typical of Wes. He's one of those folks who doesn't say a whole lot, but his posts are always well thought. :tu:

FRDRCING
10-30-2005, 08:09 PM
After truck purchase and mods I am in between 20-30k range

QDRHRSE
10-30-2005, 08:12 PM
I buy and sell cars depending on what I want at that time in my life. I have had a lot of Mustangs in particular....around 30...Cobra's, Saleens, Gt's, LX's, early mode, late model, etc. Somebody like me probably should not be counted in a poll like this because I'm the guy who would buy Dana's L when it went up for sale [if you know what I mean]. I would never consider buying one new. I do this for several reasons. I always pay cash and I won't pay a premium for anything, meaning that if I don't get a smokin' deal I won't buy it. I tend to make money on most of the cars that I buy. My new L will probably be an exception but I think that I'll keep it a while anyway. When its my time to buy a Z06 I will look Dana up and buy a pampered car that's like new for 1/2 to a 1/3 of the original price. Most well off guys that sell their used toys usually settle on a fair offer rather than hold out for what they feel their toy is worth. It's a hassel to alot of those guys and the tend to give their stuff away...I'm not saying that this is the case for Dana or anybody else here, rather, what I have experienced.

dboat
10-30-2005, 08:27 PM
I buy and sell cars depending on what I want at that time in my life. I have had a lot of Mustangs in particular....around 30...Cobra's, Saleens, Gt's, LX's, early mode, late model, etc. Somebody like me probably should not be counted in a poll like this because I'm the guy who would buy Dana's L when it went up for sale [if you know what I mean]. I would never consider buying one new. I do this for several reasons. I always pay cash and I won't pay a premium for anything, meaning that if I don't get a smokin' deal I won't buy it. I tend to make money on most of the cars that I buy. My new L will probably be an exception but I think that I'll keep it a while anyway. When its my time to buy a Z06 I will look Dana up and buy a pampered car that's like new for 1/2 to a 1/3 of the original price. Most well off guys that sell their used toys usually settle on a fair offer rather than hold out for what they feel their toy is worth. It's a hassel to alot of those guys and the tend to give their stuff away...I'm not saying that this is the case for Dana or anybody else here, rather, what I have experienced.
well said and true....

03LightningRocks
10-30-2005, 09:23 PM

I know alot of folks that refuse to buy a new vehicle for the same reason. They like to let the first owner take the big hit in value.

skalywags
10-30-2005, 10:46 PM
I bought mine in A or Z plan, what ever it is I get through my dad. So probably with TTL, because I traded in a Dakota R/T, probably $29,000 for the truck. I have no idea on the finance charges so not including those:

intake/filter - $25 (used)
stereo -$1500
spray in liner - $400
brakes - $850
rear shackles - $50 (don't really remember)
Yamaha that won't fit in the back of Z06 - $5200
add bling exhaust from Terry and E-fan if i ever get around to it.

I am light on mods - I don't race it, and most likely never will. but it makes a great hauler, and is used pretty much every weekend for that purpose. I told Ronald this the other day, if you a lot of you guys saw where this thing has gone, you would probably cringe, get me arrested for lightning abuse.

So, since this L is used the way I use it, a Z06 would not be an option here.

BC Lightning
10-30-2005, 11:16 PM
forgot about suspension, brakes, and a few others, so I need my vote re done, it over $40,000 :rolleyes:

Silver_2000
10-30-2005, 11:34 PM
Nobdy is turning the thread to ****. You did exactly what you accused me of doing. You said I was wrong for not doing it your way. This is an opportunity to folks to look at it both ways. Most people don't have 30K to drop on a truck anyway...but for the few who can, it might be a way to make a buck.

You make my point when you say a vehicle is a bad investment. That is all the more reason not to drop 30 grand on it.

Look at it this way...somebody will loan you 30 grand at zero interest for 36 months. You have the money anyway, you could put the money in a basic 2 % savings account and earn 2%. Taking the payment out of that account as it is due. This is a no risk way of making 2% on somebody elses money.

For the brave at heart, even more can be made in stocks or even real estate. It is a way to make your money work for you.

You missed the point - Being layoff bait I lower my payments as much as possible. That way I can still pay for insuln and food.

Zero interest for over 24 months is NOT that common, and if you take that deal you often get screwed elsewhere.

You are using the same logic as the guys who advertise the great deal you can get on a lease. A lease ONLY works out if you plan to toss 3k-5k every 3 years to the dealer and have a payment forever. Im too cheap to do that. And historically I have kept my last 5 or more vehicles well past the loan term.

my2002lightning
10-30-2005, 11:44 PM
Wes and other financially savvy "Profit Prophets" know their stuff - where's all my L Mod-Light crew? ;)

There's something to be said for hedging-your-bets.:)

03LightningRocks
10-31-2005, 01:10 AM
You missed the point - Being layoff bait I lower my payments as much as possible. That way I can still pay for insuln and food.

Zero interest for over 24 months is NOT that common, and if you take that deal you often get screwed elsewhere.

You are using the same logic as the guys who advertise the great deal you can get on a lease. A lease ONLY works out if you plan to toss 3k-5k every 3 years to the dealer and have a payment forever. Im too cheap to do that. And historically I have kept my last 5 or more vehicles well past the loan term.

I see what your saying. We all have different ways of looking at things. I figure worse case scenario, I can always find a cardboard box and set up house under the I30 overpass near central.:D

Lyfisin
10-31-2005, 08:17 AM
After the hood, exhuast, suspension, chip, pulley, filter and sway bars, I'm still less than 35k on mine. Those mods were all done over a 3 year period.

If I hadn't spent the money on those mods, I probably would have spent it on something else, so I wouldn't have had that money to put toward a Z06 anyway. :rolleyes:

gagspa
10-31-2005, 10:23 AM
I got my truck on Z-plan plus a $1000 voucher. I think that it was about $27,000 plus TTL. I didn't figure in financing because I would have had to finance any new car I purchased.

$300 for Bedrug
$30 for shackles
$1000 for bed cover
$75 for seat covers
$40 fir pedal covers
$150 for exhaust

I can't afford to spend much money on the L, I spent it all on the stang :D

dboat
10-31-2005, 09:35 PM
In relooking at this thread, I am calling Barbara Streisand :Bullshit on those guys that posted under $20k...

Lyfisin
10-31-2005, 11:13 PM
Some of them are probably valid. There may still be some there that posted before they realized the price of the truck needed to be included. I'm sure there are people out there who bought already modded Ls for less than 20k though.

Besides, who cares what we paid for our trucks. Even if the numbers don't work out like you feel they should, it shouldn't have any bearing on your, or anyone elses decision on how much to spend on our vehicles.

02BOLT
10-31-2005, 11:26 PM
I spent an absolute a$$load on that truck, but if I had it to do over again, I would probably only change the order I did them. I had more fun with that truck than with any single vehicle I've ever owned. She never let me down, even once......but it is the friendships that remain that is the coolest!

New 2002 BOLT: $31K
Mods to run 11.30's at 120mph (Built Bottom End, KB, etc..): $10-15K
Mods to look good doing it (Hood, HRE's, Brembos): $10K
Lightning Brotherhood: $PRICELESS:D

CasinoDuck
11-01-2005, 12:27 AM
I see what your saying. We all have different ways of looking at things. I figure worse case scenario, I can always find a cardboard box and set up house under the I30 overpass near central.:D

I don't think so... considering that i'm an employee of yours. I wont make a paycheck if you don't......this scenario just wont do!!....

BC Lightning
11-01-2005, 10:45 AM
I spent an absolute a$$load on that truck, but if I had it to do over again, I would probably only change the order I did them. I had more fun with that truck than with any single vehicle I've ever owned. She never let me down, even once......but it is the friendships that remain that is the coolest!

New 2002 BOLT: $31K
Mods to run 11.30's at 120mph (Built Bottom End, KB, etc..): $10-15K
Mods to look good doing it (Hood, HRE's, Brembos): $10K
Lightning Brotherhood: $PRICELESS:D

I agree 100% Bad Rob :tu:

Like all things I probably should have listened to Terry when I firs started modding my truck, he said most people (myself included) start nickle and diming their way to mods, I should have gotten a built longblock, KB, HRE's, or something major first and then gotten the small mods to add on to the big mod.

03LightningRocks
11-01-2005, 11:21 AM
I agree 100% Bad Rob :tu:

Like all things I probably should have listened to Terry when I firs started modding my truck, he said most people (myself included) start nickle and diming their way to mods, I should have gotten a built longblock, KB, HRE's, or something major first and then gotten the small mods to add on to the big mod.

Yep.....If I where starting all over again today, with a stock truck, my first mod would be a Kenne Bell. Then I would do helper mods for that level of power. The built motor would still be my last mod though.

Actually....thinking about what is available today....I might go turbo instead of KB. But the blower would be my first mod either way.

Rocks

PUMP
11-01-2005, 12:54 PM
My opinion, the Z06 is probably the best value for a pure performance car. While I would love to have one, I would still have to have a decent pick'em up truck too. So, to me, the L is the best value for a performance ride with a lot of utility.:twitch:
This thread is starting to take on that Mensa quality.:beer:

PUMP
11-01-2005, 01:20 PM
In relooking at this thread, I am calling Barbara Streisand :Bullshit on those guys that posted under $20k...
I did'nt know that this was a "lift the skirts" kind of poll. I voted $20Kto $30 because I have right at $30,000 in it, excluding TT&L which I would have spent no matter which ride I bought. When I first got the L, my goal was to make it a 13.00 second ride. Now that I am there, I see that I will probably do some more mods. Xcal-2, line lock and looking serious at ram-air hood just cause the look so cool. So those will add another $1,500. Also, most of my mods I have installed myself (including making my own slapper type traction bars and drive shaft loop) because I enjoy that sort of stuff.
All things considered my "Come to Jesus" answer should have been $30K to $40K:eek2:

QDRHRSE
11-01-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm with Dana. I probably paid less for my truck than anyone in the history of TALON and still I'm well over 20k into it. With Tax and License I have around 13k into the base truck which was in decent shape and ran ok to begin with. With cosmetics, stereo equipment and bolt ons I'm over the 20k mark. Unless somebody bought a beater L and didn't spend a dime on it I don't know how you could have less than 20k into it. I've never seen a beat up GenII. Maybe that's it? Are the less than 20k people all GenII's? Did anybody ask that GenI's be excluded? I'm just thinking out loud.....

tliss
11-01-2005, 03:23 PM
OK...I looked a little further into the amount I have invested and including interest on the financing and TT&L it puts me over $50,000 for the truck + mods. I would argue if you count financing and TT&L there are very few guys here that have less than $35-40K in their truck before mods, purchased new or used. TT&L and financing were around $5-6K on top of the purchase price and extended warranty (jeez...I sure got my money's worth on that one...still don't have a letter telling me my warranty is void, tho!! :d ), and I paid the p!ss out of it to pay it off early rather than take the loan out to term.

Dammit Dana and Ron...I would have never looked at it this way unless you mentioned it...Now I'm freakin depressed. I wonder what it would have looked like if I took the payments out to the full term of the loan :eek:

Tom

Moonshine
11-01-2005, 04:15 PM
I think Flats Man may take the prize for most value for the $$ spent. Under $13K cash for an L. that looked good, rode well, and would click off 12 second quarters all day long. :beer: That my friends is bang for the buck.

L8 APEX
11-01-2005, 06:20 PM
I think Flats Man may take the prize for most value for the $$ spent. Under $13K cash for an L. that looked good, rode well, and would click off 12 second quarters all day long. :beer: That my friends is bang for the buck.
But it isn't nearly enough to offset his gold plated 4.6, and two other gen 1's:hammer: .

dboat
11-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Some of them are probably valid. There may still be some there that posted before they realized the price of the truck needed to be included. I'm sure there are people out there who bought already modded Ls for less than 20k though.

Besides, who cares what we paid for our trucks. Even if the numbers don't work out like you feel they should, it shouldn't have any bearing on your, or anyone elses decision on how much to spend on our vehicles.

Wow, pretty harsh retort of yours there.. :flaming:

I started the thread to make folks realize that the price of a Z06, once they look at what they have "invested" in their L, isnt so far out of site. The difference is how you get there.. pay it up front or mod your way to get there. Then after all the posts, I doubt that there really is anyone with less than $20k in their L. I really didnt care who paid how much, and I doubt that most here do either. But the thread did make some folks realize how much they have tied up in their L. I am close to the $50k mark and havent regretted it one day or one dollar.

So lighten up Francis.

Dana

L8 APEX
11-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Brooks is a laid back dude I am sure he didn't mean anything by it. You kids be nice;) .

my2002lightning
11-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Dana,

Easy there, killer. I'm sure Brook didn't many anything by it. He's alright. :tu:

"Francis" ?!? :rll:

Ronald

Lyfisin
11-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks Terry. I really didn't.

My post wasn't intended to be a flame at all. I'm not exactly sure what it is you interpreted in my post that made you think that I was making one. It certainly wasn't intended.

I'll try and clarify what I meant and maybe it is a flame and I just can't see it.

When this topic generally started, it appeared that you might be considering getting a 'vette. Can't say I blame you. Soon after, you created this poll and a lot of comments were being made about how much people spent on their trucks. Reading through it, I completely understood that you were trying to show that the cost of a modded L might be similar to the price of a 'vette. And I agree that it could.

I'm not sure which part of my post you found irritating, but I only wrote two paragraphs so I'll comment on each one.

Regarding the price of the L's people polled, there are obviously people like QDRHRSE who got a good deal on their trucks and have some coin to put into them and he's obviously going to be in the 20k+ range. But a lot of people are new here and they are new L owners that likely didn't pay 20k (purchased them used) and either didn't have to (already modded) or don't have the extra money yet to put parts onto their truck. Or maybe mods just aren't their thing. I don't have any proof to back this up so maybe I shouldn't have said I'm sure. Perhaps I should have said it's likely. Out of 44 pollsters I still think that some of them really are less than 20k and some of them may have posted before they realized the cost of the truck was included. That's obviously just an opinion.

This may have been the comment that set you off, but again, it wasn't my intent. Here was my dismal thought process behind what I wrote.

According to your first post in this thread, this started because Rocks called you out on the price of the 'vette. In two subsequent posts, you commented that you thought the below 20k truck polls were out of line, and again, I agree. But it seemed to me (and this is where I probably blew it) like you were trying to drive up the numbers to help prove out your comment that a modded L could easily be similar in price to a new Z06. And it's obvious that some can.

I really didnt care who paid how much, and I doubt that most here do either. But the thread did make some folks realize how much they have tied up in their L. I am close to the $50k mark and havent regretted it one day or one dollar.

To me it seemed like you did care because you started the thread. In two separate comments you posted that you thought some of the numbers should be higher. Personally, I'm glad that you don't care who paid how much because we all buy the trucks for our own enjoyment. And that goes whether we spend 0 or 30k extra on them. I also don't care how much anyone chooses to spend on their L or any other car.

I'm happy for you that you enjoy your truck and I'll be just as happy for you if you get the Z06. It's your money is all I'm trying to say and you shouldn't (and maybe you didn't) care whether people think it's not a good value. If it's a good value to you, that's all that matters.

Maybe that wasn't the intent of your post. It's just how I read it.

I'm sorry you were offended by my comments.

Brook

Lyfisin
11-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Egads. I forgot about the Francis part.

My own name is bad enough. :hammer:

lol

Brook

QDRHRSE
11-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Wow. If you look at the poll results we have a damn near perfect curve. I think we need more responses. Lets keep this one open for a while and see how it turns out.

Flats Man
11-01-2005, 09:27 PM

Amen to what Moonshine said! I see his truck every day and it looks even better than when I had it! That is a lot of bang for $12,750!! Thanks for the Deal Moonshine and just so you know, I passed it on to my friend for what I had in it! So, He got a lot of bang for the buck too!

Terry, the 4.6L is only silver plated!

my2002lightning
11-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Now that I think about it, Dana, does attributable "psychiatric care" factor into the total cost of my L?

If so, I need to recalculate my numbers - they're grossly under-inflated then.:D

Moonshine
11-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Amen to what Moonshine said! I see his truck every day and it looks even better than when I had it!

I'm tickled that it ended up with a good home, because unlike QDRHRSE I have unfortunately seen some trashed out Gen II's. Even one with spinners. :vomit:

True Blue Aggie
11-01-2005, 10:03 PM
If someone can change mine to 30-40k, then I will be accurate. With the mods and repair, plus what I plan on doing before L Fest....I will be there.

dboat
11-02-2005, 06:08 AM
Brooks,
Thanks for the clarification. It was the second part where I thought you were calling me out for "judging" on what people paid. I never considered myself that kind of guy. In fact, I always felt us L guys were getting such a darned good deal on the "bang for the buck" quotient, that we were being pretty good with our money. So all is forgiven on my end, and I hope on yours.

Ronald, the "Francis" comment is an old line from the movie "Stripes".

Dana

Lyfisin
11-02-2005, 08:11 AM
No worries Dana.

Reading my post again, I can see how it might look like it was directed toward you, but it wasn't. It was really meant to be supportive of our desires to spend our money on what we want based on our own individual value systems.

In fact, I always felt us L guys were getting such a darned good deal on the "bang for the buck" quotient, that we were being pretty good with our money.

Well, me too, but then again, we bought one based on what we wanted. There are a ton of people out there who likely think Ls don't have value because they have no room behind the seats, can't carry 4 people, payload capacity (pre '03) is not good etc...

That's ok though. It wasn't their money and I didn't buy it for them. :)

:beer:

Brook

Sixpipes
11-02-2005, 09:27 AM
You know I always figured Brook for a trouble maker. :evil

Lyfisin
11-02-2005, 10:01 AM
That's me, but I try and be real stealthy about it. :D

I've been found out!!!

BC Lightning
11-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Yep.....If I where starting all over again today, with a stock truck, my first mod would be a Kenne Bell. Then I would do helper mods for that level of power. The built motor would still be my last mod though.

Actually....thinking about what is available today....I might go turbo instead of KB. But the blower would be my first mod either way.

Rocks

I agree, If I were to have bought my truck brand new like I did June 04, then I probably now would have gone with a turbo set up first.

Regarding the price of the L's people polled, there are obviously people like QDRHRSE who got a good deal on their trucks and have some coin to put into them and he's obviously going to be in the 20k+ range. But a lot of people are new here and they are new L owners that likely didn't pay 20k (purchased them used) and either didn't have to (already modded) or don't have the extra money yet to put parts onto their truck.

My buddy Daniel bought Unsane Wayne's/ Will's old truck for under $20,000, and it has the center console mod, NOS, typical mods, system, and has the time slip for the 11.6 pass. :rolleyes:

L8 APEX
11-02-2005, 11:16 AM
You guys need to drive a few turbo trucks before you run around the moon buying them up. They are dead under 3K and when built have a power curve that is hard to plant. They make nice peak numbers once they spool in but around town crossing intersections it is like a regular f150 until it spools up. The whole reason for superchargers is no turbo lag, instant power and gobs of it.

Sixpipes
11-02-2005, 11:30 AM
And although turbos are little easier on the motor, the motors do have their limit. :D

http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108715

dboat
11-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Dennis,
I'll glady pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today. :tu:

What a classic... :bows

Dana

LivinEZ
11-02-2005, 09:59 PM

I would have to agree... since credit card companies have been offering 0% for balance transfers over the past 5 years, I just had them put 15K in my account and have been rolling it from card to card for nothing for 5 years. Through various investments and CDs, I've made 5K off of someone elses money... You do have to be someone who does their homework and pays attention to detail to do this...if you roll too late or make wrong choices, it could cost you a few bucks. :tu: to spend other peoples money knana :rll: :banana:

LivinEZ
11-02-2005, 10:09 PM
I hear a lot of investment words and not getting out of what you put into it.

Plain and simple... It is a HOBBY... some are cheap, some are expensive. We tend to be on the more expensive side... If you had fun while you were doing it (or her), then you got out what you put in (maybe a little less for some) :rll:

Have fun!!! That is all we can do. :burnout: knana

QDRHRSE
11-06-2005, 12:18 PM
....slightly off topic....are the rules at the track different for trucks? Can you go faster than 11.99 without a cage?

Sixpipes
11-06-2005, 12:51 PM
....slightly off topic....are the rules at the track different for trucks? Can you go faster than 11.99 without a cage?

A recent rule change now requires cages for 11.49 and faster. The answer to your question is no. Cars and trucks are governed by the same set of rules. :cool:

03LightningRocks
11-06-2005, 01:59 PM

You can go down to 11.50 with or without a cage in any vehicle...except for rag tops.

03LightningRocks
11-06-2005, 02:01 PM
A recent rule change now requires cages for 11.49 and faster. The answer to your question is no. Cars and trucks are governed by the same set of rules. :cool:

Pepsi!!!! knana knana knana Dennis owes me a Pepsi.:d

WA 2 FST
11-06-2005, 04:16 PM

I didn't realize NHRA lowered the ET for a cage. I knew 11.49 was an IHRA requirement.

Sixpipes
11-06-2005, 04:22 PM
I didn't realize NHRA lowered the ET for a cage. I knew 11.49 was an IHRA requirement.

I know FFW allowed 11.50 and slower vehicles without cages at the NHRA tracks this year and I think that is because NHRA did lower the time to match the IHRA rule. :cool:

03LightningRocks
11-06-2005, 10:46 PM

NHRA did change the rules....:tu:

QDRHRSE
11-08-2005, 12:20 PM
My stupid track is still holding to 11.99.

03LightningRocks
11-08-2005, 09:27 PM
My stupid track is still holding to 11.99.

Unfortunately....that is their option. If they are doing it because they still believe NHRA requires this....take them a recent copy of the NHRA book....the new rules are in it. If they are doing it because they just want to...there isn't much you can do other than play by their rules on their track.

Rocks

Tex Arcana
02-25-2006, 12:51 AM
I know I resurrecting this thread, but I just found it, and I wanna see how I stacked up against everyone.

Dana: if your trade-in was fully paid for, doesnt' that count towards the price?

Anyway, here goes:

Ford's Z-plan price: $27k
Trade: $13.5k
Paid price: $13.5K (before TT&L). Wife sez it was $17k all told.

Mod list (as in order as I can get):
Cat-back: ~$1100
NAPA Ceramix pads: ~$130
Valvoline DOT4 Synthetic brake fluid and flush: ~$100 total (dunno if this counts)
FRPP lowering kit: ~$200
sway bar: $190
Dana's tuner: $100
TCE Brake kit: $1700
TrueTrac, installed: ~$600
QA1's: $735
lowering shackles: $120.

Parts total: $4975

Add in what I actually paid: $18475
Add it up like Dana said: $31975.

Not sure how that compares to a new Z06 (since I haven't read the thread yet), but I'd say the L still wins the bang-for-the-buck contest. :khana:

WA 2 FST
02-25-2006, 01:02 AM
A new C6 Z06 will run $85k including the typical current market adjustment. But $31k will buy you a pristine '02-03 Z06 that will run 12.3 @ 116mph bone stock. :)

They are completely different vehicles. Comparing them (IMHO) is tough.

Tex Arcana
02-25-2006, 01:27 AM
A new C6 Z06 will run $85k including the typical current market adjustment. But $31k will buy you a pristine '02-03 Z06 that will run 12.3 @ 116mph bone stock. :)

They are completely different vehicles. Comparing them (IMHO) is tough.

Yah... given the discussion previous, I'm almost afraid to open up the discussion again. But Ron's idea isn't bad at all: using someone else's money to make money. Of course, you need to earn a bit more than 2% to do it, because those so-called "0%" finance schemes build in some sort of hidden profit for the financiers/dealers. One way to really make this work, tho, is to finance it for a ridiculously low rate, invest the cash where it'll make more than the interest rate, then "double-down" on the payments, or pay something on it in the middle of the month, marked "Apply to Principle Only". That way a 36-mo note gets paid down in 18, and with half the interest, and that way your moeny in the bank does more work for you.

Not saying what Doug is doing is wrong: he's just battening down the hatches as best he can. If he had Rock's wherewithal, Id' say he'd be doing similar things. :tu:

dboat
02-25-2006, 05:22 AM
I just went back and re-read the entire thread. I still want the Z06 but I want it in addition to the L that I have now. I am doing a few more mods but they are coming to an end because there just isnt that much more that I care to do. But all of the discussion was pretty good..
Dana

04 RedApple
02-25-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm running about $35k at present!

Tex Arcana
02-25-2006, 03:45 PM
I just went back and re-read the entire thread. I still want the Z06 but I want it in addition to the L that I have now. I am doing a few more mods but they are coming to an end because there just isnt that much more that I care to do. But all of the discussion was pretty good..
Dana
Well.. rememebr the bang-for-the-buck concept? Can a Z06 do THIS:

http://i1.tinypic.com/oj4i1i.jpg?

Do'nt forget golf clubs, groceries, salt, fertilizer, suspension bits, wood, wetbacks... :d

EDIT: Crap, shou'dve unloaded that yesterday, didn't know the topper was leaking like that. :(

dboat
02-25-2006, 06:41 PM
Well.. rememebr the bang-for-the-buck concept? Can a Z06 do THIS:

http://i1.tinypic.com/oj4i1i.jpg?

Do'nt forget golf clubs, groceries, salt, fertilizer, suspension bits, wood, wetbacks... :d

EDIT: Crap, shou'dve unloaded that yesterday, didn't know the topper was leaking like that. :(

no, but would you like me to post up a few things that a Z06 can do that an L cannot?

I think you understand the thread..

Dana

WA 2 FST
02-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Oh, let's don't start with the "one can do this, another can do that". You could argue that with just about any 2 vehicles made by man.

One is a truck, one is a car. If that's not enough of a distinction, in and of itself, then I don't know what is.

Forget price, ability to mod, etc. The lines get blurry _real_ fast. People compare Mustangs to Vettes, people compare Vettes to Porches, etc. You're always going to compare your favorite vehicle to something else that costs more (in some cases a lot more) and try to dispel facts that the more expensive car is worth the $$ b/c there is so little difference in performance. Drive what you want, and live with its good and bad points. The Z06 may not be able to tow or haul things, but that wasn't its intended design, just like there's not an L in the world that can touch a Z06 stock for stock in _any_ real performance-related category; and to be fair, it wasn't supposed to!

Mark #2
02-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Oh, let's don't start with the "one can do this, another can do that". You could argue that with just about any 2 vehicles made by man.

One is a truck, one is a car. If that's not enough of a distinction, in and of itself, then I don't know what is.

Forget price, ability to mod, etc. The lines get blurry _real_ fast. People compare Mustangs to Vettes, people compare Vettes to Porches, etc. You're always going to compare your favorite vehicle to something else that costs more (in some cases a lot more) and try to dispel facts that the more expensive car is worth the $$ b/c there is so little difference in performance. Drive what you want, and live with its good and bad points. The Z06 may not be able to tow or haul things, but that wasn't its intended design, just like there's not an L in the world that can touch a Z06 stock for stock in _any_ real performance-related category; and to be fair, it wasn't supposed to!

Exactly you can't beat this for per dollar performance, I'd like to ride one just to be able to experience that level of performance.
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/GSX1300RZK6/Default.aspx

http://www.uponone.com/videos.php?id=3955

I had a 1983 GPZ 1100 in my possession for about a year, a roommates bike that he left for me to sell when he moved back home, it was scary.

dboat
02-26-2006, 06:49 AM
Exactly you can't beat this for per dollar performance, I'd like to ride one just to be able to experience that level of performance.
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/GSX1300RZK6/Default.aspx

http://www.uponone.com/videos.php?id=3955

I had a 1983 GPZ 1100 in my possession for about a year, a roommates bike that he left for me to sell when he moved back home, it was scary.

:0fftopic I sold my 92 Kawasaki ZX11 this year.. it was cheap speed.. 0-60 in 2.8 sec with a top speed of 170.. rode great.. I hadn't ridden it in a couple of years and didn't see myself spending any time with it, so it and the boat had to go.. sold the boat in TX (my bro n law sold it in a weekend). :0fftopic

But Wes is right,, the original post and poll started when Rocks called me out about wanting a Z06 and how much they cost. So I had to post to see what people had tied up in their L to show that a lot of us have spent a fair chunk of change to get the same performance as the Vette. But the Vette comes complete and the need for more mods is minimal at best. Yes I know there Will be those that will mod it more, put on a blower or nitrous or exhaust, etc. Or you can get a bike much cheaper that will outrun anything anyone of us can afford to buy..
I am still modding my L and am slowing down though.. not so much left to do on a stock block and stay reliable.. so I have a few more non-perf mods to do, like the power conversion on the Snuglid, the Ipod conversion on the stereo.. Also, I look to be doing this add-on to the stereo as well. Its new from Alpine. Since I dont have a sub, this looks to be the next level of performance, its a transducer based sub. Smaller than a 10" but with the performance of 2 - 10" subs.. here is the link..
http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=PLT-5
Dana