PDA

View Full Version : Non L. tire recommendations???

Moonshine
10-03-2002, 09:50 AM
Well, it's getting close to time to buy another set of tires for the wife's LS1 ('99 Firebird Formula). Of course, having found a tire that meets all of her needs, it's no longer made now that I need to replace them. :mad:

The OEM tires were Goodyear Eagle RS-A's in P245/50ZR16. OK, but nothing special, and they only lasted 30K miles.

I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza RE71's, since we'd had good luck with a set of those on her previous car. The Potenza's have less road noise, ride better, and handle as well as the Eagle's did, but they've lasted 55K so far.

Although she drives the LS1, she not really a hot shoe, and money spent on the ultimate performance tire would be wasted. What she does do is drive alot of miles, 84 mile round trip daily commute, and 85K on a 3 year old car, so we need something that lasts. Good wet traction, and reasonable purchase price are also fairly high on the priority list.

Anyone got any good ideas, or have a set of Potenza RE71's ratholed in the garage?

98Cobra
10-03-2002, 10:32 AM
I enjoyed the Firehawk SZ50's - not sure if they are still produced.

The have great wet and dry traction, are a decent performance tire, and I got good mileage out of them. YMMV. :)

Red2002
10-03-2002, 12:28 PM
I really liked the Michelin Pilot XGT-Z4's. Great treadwear rating in a high-performance all-weather tire.

The Kumho Ecsta Supra's are also an option. Aggressive tread pattern and good wet weather grip. I'm sure both suggestions come in the requisite size for her Formula.

FYI, the Michelin Pilot's are really good tires and Michelin really likes 'em. :) Not sure what you're wanting to spend, but expect to pay more for anything that says "Michelin" on the sidewall. Good luck.

Crawford
10-03-2002, 01:27 PM
Why not just get another set of Potenzas?

Moonshine
10-03-2002, 01:34 PM
I would, but the Potenza RE71 is no longer made.

99WhiteBeast
10-03-2002, 04:11 PM
I second the Michelin Pilot. I have the XGT-H4(P245/50R-16) on my 95 GT and I like them.
It's not unheard of for people to get 60 to 80k out of these.

$148 each at Discount

Moonshine
10-03-2002, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. So far, I've got it narrowed to the Michelin Pilot XGT4, the Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712, or the Bridgestone Potenza RE730. Kinda' leaning towards the Michelins. Yeah, they cost more up front, but if she can get 60K+ out of them then that's likely the last set of tires I'd ever need to buy for that car. I'm thinking the difference in tread life may more than make up for the difference in purchase price.

Silver_2000
10-03-2002, 04:21 PM
OT Tire update... I went to Dicount Tire to get slow leak fixed and priced new F1's with NO negotiation NOR mention if the internet thier price is $225

Not bad... Wont buy them for that but they used to be over $300

Doug

blueoval01
10-03-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
OT Tire update... I went to Dicount Tire to get slow leak fixed and priced new F1's with NO negotiation NOR mention if the internet thier price is $225

Not bad... Wont buy them for that but they used to be over $300

Doug
Aren't the F1 available in a "New" tread pattern now?
Anybody seen it?

WA 2 FST
10-03-2002, 07:18 PM
A tire that gave me good wear, ride, handling was the Yokohama AVS Intermediate. It's a step down from the AVS Sport, but plenty good on my old nitrous'd '96 Cobra. :)

The Pilots are outstanding tires, though. Can't go wrong there, although I'm not sure you'll get the mileage out of them. They are very sticky.

Ok, scratch that on the Pilots. People are suggesting the H-rated ones...I'm sure they will last longer than the Z-rated tires. I know those are very sticky...in some cases almost like a drag radial.

Moonshine
10-04-2002, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna' go with the H rated Pilots. Order them next week and get 'em on before the fall rains hit. Although she never quite hits the wear indicators, when they're bad enough that she notices a predisposition to hydroplane it's time to get her new treads. :rolleyes: